Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2022

George BM

2 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

The one thing about this storm working out is now we have to hold the GFS in high regard for a few weeks at least. Heck, the long range HRRR did well.

It’s always location centric but the HRRR was awful on the nw edge. Simply awful from about 8-12 hours out.

• Like 1

@Maestrobjwa

I understand your feelings.  Being a life-long North Carolinian I am used to snowlessness.  But long periods of anomalous warmth like what we just went through really get me down.  I think its OK to feel that way to some extent, but it's also important to try to fight it some as well. 

One big rule I think though is never try to share your displeasure when others are trying to enjoy their happiness.  It's just not fair to them.

Also don't forget that the Panic Room is back up and running.  That thread is meant for venting.

I'm sincerely rooting for you to cash in on Friday!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

@Maestrobjwa

I understand your feelings.  Being a life-long North Carolinian I am used to snowlessness.  But long periods of anomalous warmth like what we just went through really get me down.  I think its OK to feel that way to some extent, but it's also important to try to fight it some as well. 

One big rule I think though is never try to share your displeasure when others are trying to enjoy their happiness.  It's just not fair to them.

Also don't forget that the Panic Room is back up and running.  That thread is meant for venting.

good post. 

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Without disappointment, there would never be joy.

Balance in all things. 

The first winter I really followed and paid attention to was 2001-02. I was just a preteen boy.

The following winter was 2002-03. The contrast couldn't have been more extreme.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

I remember waking up to the radio listing school closings and listening for mine to be closed. For some reason I feel like that, even though it’s still winter break, and I’m in college now.

I may have told this story before, but where I'm from your vehicle is going to have an engine block heater if you want it to function in the winter.  As we call it, you plug in your car.  That being said, urban/suburban school districts rarely, if ever, closed (still the same way).  Forty below?  School's open.  There was the one day when the overnight low had only been around zero and it came over the radio, "________ County schools are closed due to no buses."  It was an urban/rural district and they had all the buses parked in one central lot.  Overnight someone(s) hopped the fence and unplugged every bus, and as a result none of them would start.  They never caught whoever did it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, cbmclean said:

@Maestrobjwa

You did a much better job than me talking him off the ledge. Are you a hostage negotiator? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fourseasons said:

I may have told this story before, but where I'm from your vehicle is going to have an engine block heater if you want it to function in the winter.  As we call it, you plug in your car.  That being said, urban/suburban school districts rarely, if ever, closed (still the same way).  Forty below?  School's open.  There was the one day when the overnight low had only been around zero and it came over the radio, "________ County schools are closed due to no buses."  It was an urban/rural district and they had all the buses parked in one central lot.  Overnight someone(s) hopped the fence and unplugged every bus, and as a result none of them would start.  They never caught whoever did it.

Oh my I remember that happening to my school system bus yard one time! Never found out who unplugged the busses. Because yea while were were a city within a city we rarely closed unless there was a good 4" on the roads. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Rvarookie said:

You did a much better job than me talking him off the ledge. Are you a hostage negotiator? 

I just understand how the passion for cold/snow can get very powerful and sometimes unhealthy, like any other passion can sometimes be.  Just one of those things that some people have to deal with.  Sometimes the unhealthy energy can be harnessed for productive purposes.  For example a drive to learn about weather.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

I just understand how the passion for cold/snow can get very powerful and sometimes unhealthy, like any other passion can sometimes be.  Just one of those things that some people have to deal with.  Sometimes the unhealthy energy can be harnessed for productive purposes.  For example a drive to learn about weather.

I've more than once seen the other side when it's "Quit snowing already!" because it's April and the first snow was in late September and snow does not fall in big dumps but in a steady stream and people just want Spring to show up. 

58 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I always feel a little guilty posting snow obs while other areas are 35  and rain.

Definitely helps being at the M/D line with about 750' in elevation.

Same! I mean of course I share it, but ask @H2O I always feel bad sharing my snow pics, while he is roasting in the tropics. Of course he’s happy for me, but I feel bad.

today we switched roles :lol:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Same! I mean of course I share it, but ask @H2O I always feel bad sharing my snow pics, while he is roasting in the tropics. Of course he’s happy for me, but I feel bad.

today we switched roles :lol:

For @Chris78 too but you should always share and enjoy the snow you get. But knowing others missing out can be tough and being considerate for them is the mark of character and kindness. This dumb hobby can be brutal at times. 

Today was that rare time a storm hit places that so often misses out on things. I knew what posting my obs and pics would do to you and others not seeing snow and it gave me pause at times. Cause I know how it feels to miss quite a lot. Lol

You feel bad for me because you wish I could enjoy snow too. I felt the same way today. It was def weird to switch roles. 

I know you agree with this thought. It is best when we have a storm where EVERYONE cashes in with snow. But that we get just a little more than everyone at the same time. Haha

Caring about others makes you much better than many and wish we had more of that. 

And we all know the NW crew will get theirs when winter is all said and done

• Like 4

Nobody should feel bad about posting their snow pictures if they’re posting in good faith. It’s not rubbing it in for those that underproduced, it’s simply sharing a little joy with a group of people that should intrinsically know why every snowfall is to be valued. 

• Like 8

• mappy unpinned this topic