Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Banter 2022

George BM

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m happy for those getting dumped on and wish it was a region wide event, but I’m happy with what I’m getting.  But I’m mostly happy because this storm convinces me that it can still snow around here.

Absolutely. We will probably end up with close to 4" which is fine with me. Now let's get some snow on snow Thursday night. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, nw baltimore wx said:

I’m happy for those getting dumped on and wish it was a region wide event, but I’m happy with what I’m getting.  But I’m mostly happy because this storm convinces me that it can still snow around here.

you should be happy! it looks beautiful! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Doesn't matter--no WSW. It's pretty to look at, but knowing we coulda had more is frustrating as heck. Built up from 6 years of "Yeah it's pretty to look at but s/e (or north and west) got more. It wouldn't be so bad if we had cashed in a couple other times previously...that's what I'm upset about. I mean this is our region though...so it happens.

I've been in this hobby for 20 years and I've seen it all. I also wish we could've done better but it's not worth being upset. 

There will be big storms that hit Baltimore again, while those places in southern MD and central VA that now have 10"+ with "ripping rates" will mix or change to rain. Everything balances out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fozz said:

I've been in this hobby for 20 years and I've seen it all. I also wish we could've done better but it's not worth being upset. 

There will be big storms that hit Baltimore again, while those places in southern MD and central VA that now have 10"+ with "ripping rates" will mix or change to rain. Everything balances out.

I hope so man. We are WAY overdue. I've been frustrated for 6 years...like literally every winter since 2016 has brought emotional draining/pain and disappointment with the close misses.

But looking at history it does, like you said, appear to balance out. As long as our overall snow chances (which are just occasional) don't decrease...I guess we'll get there.

14 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I hope so man. We are WAY overdue. I've been frustrated for 6 years...like literally every winter since 2016 has brought emotional draining/pain and disappointment with the close misses.

But looking at history it does, like you said, appear to balance out. As long as our overall snow chances (which are just occasional) don't decrease...I guess we'll get there.

Why are you stuck up on 5”????  You’ve had numerous 4” storms during this period but you’ve complained during every one that it wasn’t 5”. Why?  Is 4 v 5” that big a difference to you?  Is it the warning thing?  That’s subjective. It used to be 4”. Then they arbitrarily made it 5”. What is it about 5” for you?  

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Why are you stuck up on 5”????  You’ve had numerous 4” storms during this period but you’ve complained during every one that it wasn’t 5”. Why?  Is 4 v 5” that big a difference to you?  Is it the warning thing?  That’s subjective. It used to be 4”. Then they arbitrarily made it 5”. What is it about 5” for you?  

Clearly it was his favorite age

• Haha 3

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Ha...I deserved that--but I gotta admit that was funny. 

Also funny enough...guess how old I was during the blizzard of '96? Five...lol

Just lighten up man don't be like that two letter jerk who mucks up every threat if he isn't the jackpot

5 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Ha...I deserved that--but I gotta admit that was funny. 

Also funny enough...guess how old I happened to be during the blizzard of '96? Five...lol

Dude... if you're over 30 then I don't see why a few years of less snow should bring you so much emotional draining and pain. It's just weather. A grown man has more important things to worry about.

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

.......I don't know. Let me check with my subconscious...

Maybe the 5 feels more significant. That it feels like being trolled to get 4.8"...lol Like a "no warning snow for you!"

But in reality I guess I'm looking for the 6-8 incher again (because getting over 5" usually means you're closer to that). That snow that's moderate yet has a bit of a "punch" It's just that my yard has been lacking that and pretty much just missing it several times the last 6 years--and that's frustrating.

The other part of it is missing those snows that have good rates--seems all I've gotten is light to moderate flakes. 

Gotten a lot of pretty scenery, however...and I've started to enjoy that a little more lately. (In fact if I had no knowledge of what was going on in other parts of the state I'd probably enjoy it more).

8 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Dude... if you're over 30 then I don't see why a few years of less snow should bring you so much emotional draining and pain. It's just weather. A grown man has more important things to worry about.

i think its best just to let people be mad about things like snow. its not worth wasting YOUR time on it. We could tell him all day long and it won't matter. Some people just wanna be mad.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mappy said:

i think its best just to let people be mad about things like snow. its not worth wasting YOUR time on it. We could tell him all day long and it won't matter. Some people just wanna be mad.

Oh trust me I don't WANT to be mad about any of this. I hate feeling like this, trust me...I'd like to not care as much. But I have no clue how to get there

Just now, Maestrobjwa said:

Oh trust me I don't WANT to be mad about any of this. I hate feeling like this, trust me...I'd like to not care as much. But I have no clue how to get there

i can't help you. i tried and decided it wasn't worth my time. 

1 minute ago, mappy said:

I think feelings are feelings. What makes someone happy/sad is just part of our subconscious based on things that happened during our development and our personality.  We all have our weird pleasures and pet peeves.  I don’t necessarily blame him for the fact he is unhappy about the result.

I’m not happy I missed the snow today (although I am genuinely happy for the people who did get snow). But my reaction is to find other things to do and definitely not to take a dump on everyone trying to enjoy their snow.  Imo he needs to find more productive ways to deal with it. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I know you're not the type...but I do take in what in what folks say.

i hope that you do. I mean I get the feeling of disappointment, but it is literally snowing at your house, right now. I'd happily trade places with you, no matter how small the snow amount is. 

You do you, of course, and if you want to be upset, then go ahead. There are just so many other things in life to be mad about, snow is not it. But that's just me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Though I'm 30 I have no wife/kids--not a ton to worry about, lol

I don't either, but my point remains that there's much more to life than snow. I can understand a teenager or even an early 20s guy getting emotionally wound up over snow. Young people are immature in all kinds of ways, and I was like that for a long time. 

But if you're over 25, and an actual grown adult, then it is not normal, and there are so many better places to focus your emotional energy. But I can't change how you feel. At the end of the day it is your life, so that is for you to figure out.

13 minutes ago, wxtrix said:

a lot of people here measure their self-esteem by how much snow their backyard gets. it’s not healthy.

Self-esteem...hmm. I think if feels more like when your team wins or loses. I'd call it jealousy more so than self-esteem (since we have zero control over the weather, no like we ourselves fail--it just feels like losing). 

But either way your point stands--it ain't healthy!

• mappy unpinned this topic