Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Banter 2022

George BM

17 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Realistically, Tuesday. I’ve tentatively explored flights for tomorrow if things were to shift fully forwards a GFS-esque event overnight but I’m probably not willing to make the $500 investment. Probably.

Save the money for a trip to a place that actually gets snow.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I could be wrong, but I don’t think I’d like snow nearly as much in a place that gets it usually. It’s sorta important it feels like home. But I might change my mind under a lake effect snow band in the future!

That’s about how I feel about snow too. It’s almost like living beach year around…unsure I could truly appreciate the good moments if my favorite times became the norm

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

Come this time tomorrow, I'll either be in the RIC area (preferably west end, which tends to do better climo speaking), or staying right here at home. Either way, with another Niña year, if I have to chase for snow, so be it. 

If you plan to visit the short pump, you may to ask them for permission.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Realistically, Tuesday. I’ve tentatively explored flights for tomorrow if things were to shift fully forwards a GFS-esque event overnight but I’m probably not willing to make the $500 investment. Probably.

Just curious, what are you up to in San Juan.  My wife and I honeymooned there.  Great town.  Good food.  Not good for snow.

4 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Winter Classic is in classic winter northern tier conditions of -3F.

correction: -8F

Here are the weather stats for the day of the very first official NHL outdoor game, the Heritage Classic in Edmonton in November 2003.

(Temps are in Celsius, but as many of you know -18C = Zero F)

https://web.archive.org/web/20120305104811/http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/hourlydata_e.html?timeframe=1&Prov=AB&StationID=1865&Year=2003&Month=11&Day=22

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I'm not sure the intricacies (and uncertainties) of meteorology will ever be fully appreciated by the public--mainly because most folks can't see how much chaos there is in predicting weather! (Perhaps that's is a conversation for another thread though, lol)

Moved this here, hope that’s ok. But I think that is one of the reasons I love this hobby so much. It’s so, so intricate. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Demeter said:

Moved this here, hope that’s ok. But I think that is one of the reasons I love this hobby so much. It’s so, so intricate. 

Yes--I mean it's something that can put ya in awe while simultaneously driving you nuts, lol (especially for us snow lovers) I mean it is like the most intricate machine with so many moving parts that can all influence each other in many different ways. And then you have things on the macro...and then the micro with what happens during each storm. It's pretty incredible!

Ya know, people always quip about how they'd "love to have a job where I can be paid to be wrong half the time"...not realizing how much goes into making those predictions! The above...THAT is where the expertise of meteorology come in: trying to make sense of all the moving parts, and put that into a 2-3 minute forecast, lol

• Like 1

Thank you for your sacrifice 

as I said in the panic room thread, if you want to leave a tip for me summoning this storm, I’m happy to send people my Venmo handle. You can just go directly to my Twitter profile and tip me there!

/s

Anyway, here is a nice tropical photo. I’m having a great time. Wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

b08b0e4cda3440525f08cf7c0e3b3ca7.jpg
  • Like 7

4 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

Today's 12z suite are the reason this place becomes less fun....God help us if the models shift south

Oh it will happen. There’s a word for making a call on something without any real evidence.  Can’t think of it

• mappy unpinned this topic