Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Discobs 2022

George BM

27 minutes ago, astarck said:

It really just doesn’t get cold here anymore. 

Since 2015, for whatever reason, the pac jet has been consistently pushing pac maritime air into North America. Last time we had extended continental air pushes (2013-15) cold records went down and the bay froze across at the bridge.

Is the pac jet just a wobble in the giant multi-decadal oscialltion or is it a response to warmer oceans and air? I'm leaning towards a wobble and not a new normal but worth watching and discussing in the coming years

• Like 3

1 hour ago, astarck said:

It really just doesn’t get cold here anymore. 

I'm OK with that.

We bottomed out close to the lowest temp we had in 2021 already...

When it's cold enough to freeze your nostrils on the first inhale when stepping outside, I'm good.  Colder than that doesn't help much.

We've been below 0 several times but the last time we had some really big chill (-13F) was in Jan 1994.  What a bad winter that was.  Unless you're a penguin!  We all had to walk that way with the damn ice on everything.

The cold snap of 1985 too, was close to double digits below 0 here as well.

I'd have to check but I believe the last time we were firmly below zero was Feb 2015.

I know because we lost the pipe heaters in the turbine hall from a lightning strike in 2014 and ever since then if it goes below 0 for a few hours the water in the idle runs freezes up!

Oh and another thing, the days of No.2 (dyed Diesel / heating oil) of 89 cents a gallon are LONG GONE!

I’d wager Monday night is the best near-term chance for DCA to fall below 20. I’ve noticed (not at all revelatory, I know lol) that DCA and downtown is absolutely awful at radiatonal cooling, but if there’s cold pressing, it usually works out. Looks like Monday night will still have arctic cold pressing, something that’s been in remarkably short supply around here lately. I’m pretty optimistic for Monday night, but if that doesn’t work out, we will probably have to wait until after MLK to break the streak. 

7 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

Since 2015, for whatever reason, the pac jet has been consistently pushing pac maritime air into North America. Last time we had extended continental air pushes (2013-15) cold records went down and the bay froze across at the bridge.

Is the pac jet just a wobble in the giant multi-decadal oscialltion or is it a response to warmer oceans and air? I'm leaning towards a wobble and not a new normal but worth watching and discussing in the coming years

This is the question no one seems to attempt to answer 

7 hours ago, WinterFire said:

I’d wager Monday night is the best near-term chance for DCA to fall below 20. I’ve noticed (not at all revelatory, I know lol) that DCA and downtown is absolutely awful at radiatonal cooling, but if there’s cold pressing, it usually works out. Looks like Monday night will still have arctic cold pressing, something that’s been in remarkably short supply around here lately. I’m pretty optimistic for Monday night, but if that doesn’t work out, we will probably have to wait until after MLK to break the streak. 

yep - it's the same as you see in other major urban cores.  In NYC, it really only cools down at night in winter if there is a north wind coming down the Hudson - otherwise you get days where it's like a high of 35 and a low of 29 or something.  

• mappy unpinned this topic