Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2022 General Discussion

Hoosier

8 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Selling impacts from this in Chicago proper. Good luck to Hoosier 

Nam, gfs, euro all show band with superior connection impacting city to some degree and anecdotally major east coast event often r accompanied by les in the city

I'd take an early guess of 1-2

• Like 1

The floor with the late week lake effect sort of feels like 3-5" to me.  That would be with a somewhat less organized band or a band that keeps moves around.  6+ would be on the table somewhere imo if it were to stall out for a prolonged period.  

Keep in mind this is just an early guess/outline of scenarios.  Op models are not particularly useful for determining lake effect amounts.  The hi-res models sometimes aren't either, but I'd tend to lean a little more in that direction.  The hi-res stuff isn't out far enough yet though, so my numbers are mainly based on feel.  I don't work off of lake effect charts/decision trees.  Sort of like the grandma who doesn't use a written recipe to cook lol

55 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

-11 currently (wind chill -22).  It's impossible to heat the whole house with the stove alone.  The furnace keeps kicking on about every hour.

897315094_thumbnail(3).thumb.jpg.80dcb7b84a2bf481772b8fa7cf07df69.jpg

Bedroom is chilly

1970884068_thumbnail(4).thumb.jpg.422fab3085b884f7a601b321329ef4ec.jpg

Mother-in-law guest room.

Edit: Spartman's guest room

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

FWA hit some low-hanging fruit this morning.

RECORD EVENT REPORT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NORTHERN INDIANA
615 AM EST WED JAN 26 2022

...RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE SET AT FORT WAYNE...

A RECORD LOW TEMPERATURE OF -9 WAS SET AT FORT WAYNE THIS MORNING 
FOR THE DATE OF JANUARY 26TH. THIS BREAKS THE OLD RECORD OF -8 SET 
IN 1936. THIS STATEMENT WILL BE UPDATED IF NEEDED.

Only made it down to 10 at my house this morning.  Lake Michigan doing its thing keeping us warmer.  Continual light snow over the last few days is finally adding up.  I didn't realize this but GRR is within 1.3" of their entire snowfall last year.  Compared to others in the subforum it is a virtual snowmageddon in West Michigan.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Baum said:

beavis is rocking his tropical speedos today for sure.

Yes sir...it's about time. :gun_bandana:

Some low temps in N IL...pending any intra-hour drops.  Coldest since 1/31/19.  Very impressive in the normal cold/radiator spots:

RPJ -23

ARR -20

RFD -16

FEP -16

DKB -14

SQI -13

Here -11

UGN -9

ORD -5

3 hours ago, madwx said:

Looks like -21 is the low at the house.  About 15 more minutes of cooling left to beat that.   Airport down to -17.  

coldest temps in Wisconsin I could find were -35 in Black River Falls and -32 in Sparta 

Ahh Black River Falls and Sparta, the cold air drainage capitals of the midwest. Without fail those areas are usually the coldest or second coldest in setups like this.

• Like 1

Liking what I'm seeing on the 12z runs.  Healthy convergence pointed right into Lake county IN on Friday.  The heart of the band shouldn't have trouble ripping at 1-2" per hour for a time.  There is a signal for the band to start hugging the shore more with time and have less inland penetration, so we'll see.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OrdIowPitMsp said:

52E6AE68-2ACA-4C76-8EE9-58E693575006.jpeg

-20's to -30's during the night around the area. Winds switched to SW and temps started rising. Here in town we stay a good 10-15d warmer than inland on the lows. All month so far we have been -15 to -20 on the coldest mornings. Yesterday was the coldest high at -1. The only sub zero high this month.

Now back to near average temps the next few days. Thankfully. :)