• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?

Typhoon Tip

32 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah absolutely. What I meant by not a huge impact is you can't look at that SLP spread and think some members are whiffs and 200 miles off ACK and others are tucked in near BID. Definitely a dual low structure which makes those spread graphics a bit more difficult to interpret than a straight synoptic low track question.

Given the amount of convection (with intense supercells) the HRRR is blowing up I think the dual low idea is definitely pretty reasonable right now.

I agree in principle that either end of that spread might not make a huge difference.  Thing is... like I was just mentioning to Scott, the v trajectory climo has y'all in CT -NW RI- eastern MA is a sweet spot.   Obviously climo is what it is and not all storms have to obey the mean.  Still, there's some impressive frontogenic looks to this along said axis.  

It'll be fun to watch for convection behavior later in the evening .. overnight.  Pleezy weezie with sugar on top, can we bust one positive like the good ole days?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

called out of work tonight.. no way do I want to drive over 30 miles home in this tomorrow morning... Main reason is I can sleep tonight wake up early and weenie out!! :snowing: 

what happens if you only get 2"?  Book back onto work?  lol   I used to commute 110 miles a day from hilly NH to MA round trip and it was pretty dicey

• Like 2

The TV mets and NWS have increased their forecasts in my area today. The NAM looks like it’s having issues with the convection and it still drops 8-10 inches of snow in eastern mass. Imagine if that went away completely, it looks like models are strengthening the more tucked low than the one outside the benchmark.

• Like 1

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

I agree in principle that either end of that spread might not make a huge difference.  Thing is... like I was just mentioning to Scott, the v trajectory climo has y'all in CT -NW RI- eastern MA is a sweet spot.   Obviously climo is what it is and not all storms have to obey the mean.  Still, there's some impressive frontogenic looks to this along said axis.  

It'll be fun to watch for convection behavior later in the evening .. overnight.  Pleezy weezie with sugar on top, can we bust one positive like the good ole days?

How about we just slingshot some of that convection into the conveyor system of this storm? Get an ole' fashioned 4" per hour bust job somewhere.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

Just now, Torch Tiger said:

what happens if you only get 2"?  Book back onto work?  lol   I used to commute 110 miles a day from hilly NH to MA each way and it was pretty dicey

ill take it.. it would tie our biggest storm of the year.. But seems like we will do better for sure.. Last big snow event was mid April

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is why I have remained fairly bullish on this threat from a few days ago....the vort tracks almost ideal for SNE snow events.

I still am not convinced the circulation doesn't end up more consolidated sooner than shown either.

Oh absolutely ... I mean, I think this could now-cast favorably overnight.  I think it's a candidate for a short range improvement scenario. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah absolutely. What I meant by not a huge impact is you can't look at that SLP spread and think some members are whiffs and 200 miles off ACK and others are tucked in near BID. Definitely a dual low structure which makes those spread graphics a bit more difficult to interpret than a straight synoptic low track question.

Given the amount of convection (with intense supercells) the HRRR is blowing up I think the dual low idea is definitely pretty reasonable right now.

Hi

23 hours ago, JC-CT said:

I think the western "skew" is still somewhat an artifact of the dual/elongated low. if you have two relatively equal pressure centers, or one elongated pressure center, it could chose to put the L on the east or the west but the reality is that it is both. That's not all of what's going on, but it has to be some of it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

We're in GYX's 2-4 slot while the forecast for the SNJ crew is 3-5.  Hope they hit the 5" to match what they saw on Monday - would give them 2 storms bigger than any we've had here, like a mini 2009-10.

Yup, I think this one remains to far south once again for up here.

• Sad 1

...I mean... I don't wanna get my ears pinned back if it doesn't.  just imagining it could nowcast more impacting.

You know ... the convection isn't there - yet.  I mean... it's like the models detect instability and 'trigger' from whatever fractals they need to fire it off.  But, what if the triggers don't happen?

Basically any time a storm gets enhanced(diminished) by "as yet" virtual generated processes, there's no guarantee there.  Oh it's likely this thing will have a squadron of super cells out there ( oy ) but that doesn't mean they are also exhaustive on inflow, either.  That's a 2ndary -

Meanwhile, like Will and I were just surmising how the synoptics look like an NJ model bomb. They do.  I can find a lot of cases at NCEP Library where flat open waves with big wind cores missiled off southern Jersey and Brockton Mass got 14" for it.  

• Like 1

Just now, Typhoon Tip said:

...I mean... I don't wanna get my ears pinned back if it doesn't.  just imagining it could nowcast more impacting.

You know ... the convection isn't there - yet.  I mean... it's like the models detect instability and 'trigger' from whatever fractals they need to fire it off.  But, what if the triggers don't happen?

Basically any time a storm gets enhanced(diminished) by "as yet" virtual generated processes, there's not guarantee there.  Oh it's likely this thing will have a squadron of super cells out there ( oy ) but that doesn't mean they are also exhaustive on inflow, either.  That's a 2ndary -

Meanwhile, like Will and I were just surmising how the synoptics look like an NJ model bomb. They do.  I can find a lot of cases at NCEP Library where flat open waves with big wind cores missiled off southern Jersey and Brockton Mass got 14" for it.  

Every run of the HRRR...hour 0 there's much less convection, then hour 1 POOF there it is. Wash, rinse, repeat. 

• Like 1