Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
TIMS model verification, December 31, 2021 - January 3, 2022

Holston_River_Rambler

2 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I think part of what the models see is some downsloping off of the Frozen Head mts. Makes sense with a NE or NNE wind. 

TLcI2FD.png

Yeah, that's what it is. I've been checking basically everything and that's what I came up with. Lee County is being portrayed by Downsloping off High Knob and Black Mtn.

4 minutes ago, McMinnWx said:

Naturally, I fear the valley’s warm nose is going to laugh as the snow approaches. Hope I’m wrong!

LOL.  About 1,000 different ways for things to get sideways in the valley.  Oddly, my fear with this would be downsloping which causes the column to warm just enough to slow the onset of the snow.  The warm-nose itself is probably either a product of warm air pushing up the valley or warm air created by the downslope.  I want to see a strong system coming by to our southeast.  That will pull the cold in quickly.  Good to see reports of early changeovers.  May signal some strong dynamics.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

So Tornado Warnings and Watches improve the effect over general thunderstorms. Just kidding!

Regarding the Great Valley, it's definitely downslope. Cold air likes to get trapped. Warm air would rise through cooler air (instability) or just be static stable (all else equal). Of course with terrain it's not equal, and we get downslope instead. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

It's just the HRRR. In all seriousness probably some sleet. Eventually it's changing over and snowing for a few hours. DGZ ain't bad either. Can't always be perfect saturation.

Hopefully inside 12 hours a Red Tag does not jinx it. Still thinking warm nose hell dusting or less KCHA. I like almost every other forecast point in our region.

• Like 1

So Tornado Warnings and Watches improve the effect over general thunderstorms. Just kidding!
Regarding the Great Valley, it's definitely downslope. Cold air likes to get trapped. Warm air would rise through cooler air (instability) or just be static stable (all else equal). Of course with terrain it's not equal, and we get downslope instead. 

giphy.gif

• Haha 3

10 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Latest RAP. You can see the lighter areas south of Frozenhead/Cross Mtn and South of High Knob that Daniel Boone mentioned. Even they are filling in as we go forward. Looks like the sleet area is about 1 County wide in western areas with heavy snow right behind that. 

sn10_acc.us_ov.png

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

I’m remembering an event from January 2013 similar to this. We had a long duration warm rain event followed by a quick closed off low. If I recall correctly, everyone in the valley from West Knox southwards blanked. Knoxville north and east got several inches of heavy wet snow. The warm air bubble was in a very similar spot. Short term models are showing it getting almost up to Knox county now. I’m still hopeful that we get some favorable dynamics for a quick inch or two in the outlying areas and hilltops.

• Like 3

I’m remembering an event from January 2013 similar to this. We had a long duration warm rain event followed by a quick closed off low. If I recall correctly, everyone in the valley from West Knox southwards blanked. Knoxville north and east got several inches of heavy wet snow. The warm air bubble was in a very similar spot. Short term models are showing it getting almost up to Knox county now. I’m still hopeful that we get some favorable dynamics for a quick inch or two in the outlying areas and hilltops.

It’s sad that we can remember a non historic snow that happened 9 years ago. We are due

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

It's just the HRRR. In all seriousness probably some sleet. Eventually it's changing over and snowing for a few hours. DGZ ain't bad either. Can't always be perfect saturation.

Hopefully inside 12 hours a Red Tag does not jinx it. Still thinking warm nose hell dusting or less KCHA. I like almost every other forecast point in our region.

Just saw the 18z NAM…..

Dang, Jeff…. Had no idea your powers were that quick.  lol

• Haha 2

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic