Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Years Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

Just now, TheNiño said:

Sorry for the dumb question but I’m a novice trying to learn.

Is the concern right now because there is increased convection on the southern end which will rob the northern (snowy) parts of the system of moisture?

Not a dumb question. This is the debate. In this case this does not seem to be an issue according to some. Which, me a novice also would agree. Just seems were riding a weakening wave as it moves east. Thus lowering totals as it moves east. Not unusual.

• Thanks 1

Not sure on this one..I get the whole pac moisture feed in cold sector.  But isn't there still is a warm sector to this with some sort of transport of moisture into to the cold sector, albeit short lived? 

Each storm system is obviously different in that regard. Depends on origin of the trough/wave, eventual ejection location and upstream setup.

Some extreme example estimates, but ones I know offhand would be… GHD1, which was 95%/5% Gulf/Pacific moisture influenced, GHD2 was 25%/75% Gulf/Pacific. This current system I’d give an estimate of 15%/85% Gulf/Pacific.

4 minutes ago, Powerball said:

The whole discussion about the moisture source for this system is like obsessing over which processor KFC used for the chicken you're being served.

Regardless of whether it came from Tyson or Perdue, the meal will still be pretty mediocre.

Pretty much.

The issues revolve around the state of the ejecting wave, among other things.

• Haha 1

Overall this system is kind of disappointing considering the potential it had.  Big system ejecting from the southwest along a very nice baroclinic zone.  Kind of felt like after such a horrific December it would break with a big dog.  This one came close, but in the end it'll sort of be a forgettable event.  On the plus side it'll be a nice solid 4-7" type of event for the majority in the main swath outside the lake enhanced areas.  

Riding the 5-7" call for here/QC, but I think 5" is more likely than 7".  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, mimillman said:

Not the big one. Next one could be. Chin up it’ll look like winter tomorrow 

Gonna be solid winter conditions in the city later tomorrow as the lake enhancement and stronger winds kick in.

I definitely think some models are underplaying the lake component.  Not that that should be too surprising as many of them are not really geared for that kind of thing.  As far as I can tell, water temps are 40+ not just near the IL shore but pretty much all the way across the lake and also pretty far north as well.  

3 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Gonna be solid winter conditions in the city later tomorrow as the lake enhancement and stronger winds kick in.

I definitely think some models are underplaying the lake component.  Not that that should be too surprising as many of them are not really geared for that kind of thing.  As far as I can tell, water temps are 40+ not just near the IL shore but pretty much all the way across the lake and also pretty far north as well.  

Gotta be nice to always have the lake available to supplement the synoptic storm.  Many times it doesn't, but there's always hope that it contributes some.  Out here far from the lake we get one shot, take what the synoptic gives you and like it. B)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cyclone77 said:

Gotta be nice to always have the lake available to supplement the synoptic storm.  Many times it doesn't, but there's always hope that it contributes some.  Out here far from the lake we get one shot, take what the synoptic gives you and like it. B)

Yes but it giveth and taketh away.  Early season can be especially tough for areas too close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Models are really turding out over here.  On the HRRR, the Omaha to Des Moines to Cedar Rapids to Dubuque corridor has fallen off the cliff on the north edge.  Cedar Rapids is down to 2" while the others are <1".  With that little snow, from only 0.1" precip, it may be difficult to even measure .

natester has kept us well aware of model output for CR

• Haha 5