Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
New Years Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

Just now, Chicago Storm said:

HRRR is in the real world in terms of snowfall axis placement.

Also hits the LE quite well in NE IL/SE WI.

I thought it might come back south some. It’s still a somewhat northward outlier against the rest of guidance. And knowing CAMs tend to be a bit amped in their longer ranges makes me skeptical.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hlcater said:

I thought it might come back south some. It’s still a somewhat northward outlier against the rest of guidance. And knowing CAMs tend to be a bit amped in their longer ranges makes me skeptical.

It's really not all that far north.

Biggest thing is the very sharp gradient on either side of the axis. There are some counties (Small ones at that) that you go from a DAB to 7" in opposite ends of the given county.

40 minutes ago, mimillman said:

NAM cuts down on QPF a bit away from SLP, expectedly, but still a very solid hit. Going to ride the 4-8” call but suspect that we’re likely to verify on the higher end of that.

Agree.  I'd actually give roughly 50/50 odds of somebody pulling 12", especially near the lake.  Again, not the greatest setup in terms of thermodynamics/inversion heights, but it goes on for a number of hours.

• Like 1

0z GFS snow totals.
868524936_OnTheRightTrack.png.67f67742d17cb95e28dd8b179a698e29.png
A lot of broadcast mets in S. WI (including those at my employer) being bearish on this one, calling for 3" or less in Madison, and some 1" or less. Of course, those forecasts were made before the 00Z runs were available, but the possibility for at least modest shifts back NW was always on the table. @madwx

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk