joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New Years Winter Storm

Chicago Storm

7 minutes ago, ChiTownSnow said:

Or 3 days.. lots to go still.   Anything on the table imo

3 minutes ago, MidwestChaser said:

Way too early for that; remember February 2020? 

I thought that's the whole point? I mean there's the final call, and then there's like the real final call. I'm talking about the preliminary guess that is at least semi-informed

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hawkeye_wx said:

Whoa, the Euro is coming in hot and nw this run.

image.thumb.png.9e2733cf629b2ca6b1afe1cec71a47d8.png

Not to be negative, but verbatim I'm not a big fan of that northeast/southwest tilted zone of heavy convection in the warm sector.  Many times it seems to cause the cold sector zone of precip to underperform.  Long way to go so maybe that won't be as much of an issue in the future.  That being said, it's great to have another system to track already. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Just now, cyclone77 said:

Not to be negative, but verbatim I'm not a big fan of that northeast/southwest tilted zone of heavy convection in the warm sector.  Many times it seems to cause the cold sector zone of precip to underperform.  Long way to go so maybe that won't be as much of an issue in the future.  That being said, it's great to have another system to track already. :thumbsup:

Very good point.

3 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Would be very true in many cases. However with this one, moisture transport is Pac supplied, not Gulf.

• Thanks 1

Whelp never good when you're living on the se edge of the heavy snow band and models start trending stronger and nw. Lol. Gfs definitely bumped nw on 18z run with sfc low. Still not as strong as euro but maybe a bit more consolidation at the sfc. Still 5 days out and a lot can change but definitely a nail biter here. My gut is saying DVN to LOT will cash in big on this. I was thinking that this may trend se with that arctic baroclinic zone bleeding se and the weakish low but we shall see. 

3 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

Less phased and more strung out.

Yep, tbh looking at the 12z eps and the 18z GEFS there was a massive shift in the spaghetti plots of amplifying that trough out west. When everyone jumps all at once so fast run to run like that, it gives me pause. This run of the Euro trended back to less amplified out west.

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

1 hour ago, Chicago Storm said:

Would be very true in many cases. However with this one, moisture transport is Pac supplied, not Gulf.

I'm going to sort of take a middle ground between you two.  I'd say keep an eye on it but don't be overly concerned for the reason that Chi Storm mentioned.  

The convection in that area probably isn't going to go nuts anyway as instability looks to be lacking to some extent.