• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

22 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

I think it has been a descent January.

Nice and cold. A few snow events (a little paltry) but my lawn has had some  snow on it for most of month without the hassle of widespread deep snow cover

Much better than some past winters of constant warmth

Like other posters mentioned, I also dont get the torch/snow lovers.

There is so much more to winter than a day of snow: skiing, skating, clean air with great visibility, the crisp morning air, stepping out of a hot bar to smoke a cigarette in the cold with friends.

In an increasingly hot and humid climate, it is a nice reprieve. Enjoy it. 

Up to 11F :) In terms of extremes, I will take this over 100F anyday

This guy winters. 

I can’t stand the torchy patterns or, worse, torchy winters. It’s depressing and reminds me of the general trend of where we’re headed. Seasonal variation is a nice thing to have, and a little cold air is good for the soul.

I completely respect a “to each their own” approach, but I 100% prefer cold and dry to hot and humid. 

Frankly I don’t enjoy the way NJ does heat, the humidity makes it unbearable for me. Writing is on the wall that it’s time for my wife and I to consider moving out of here.

The temperatures this month are certainly feeling more winter-like for a change. NYC already has 5 days with a low under 20 this January with more to come. This is the most for any winter month in 3 years. These colder winter months have been few and far between since 15-16.

Colder than average months bolded with 5 out of 20

Monthly Number of Days Min Temperature < 20 for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Year
Dec
Jan
Feb
Season
2021-2022 0 5 M 4
2020-2021 0 2 1 3
2019-2020 1 0 2 3
2018-2019 0 5 2 7
2017-2018 5 13 2 20
2016-2017 2 2 2 6
2015-2016 0 4 5 9
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

Got down to 9 here-another night of single digits....cold month.

Despite what little snow we've seen, it's been pretty cold.  More single digit nights than we've had the last couple winters here.

Not only that, but there hasn't been a thaw yet.  The snow cover is minimal but has stuck around pretty well.

• Like 3

Despite what little snow we've seen, it's been pretty cold.  More single digit nights than we've had the last couple winters here.
Not only that, but there hasn't been a thaw yet.  The snow cover is minimal but has stuck around pretty well.

It’s good, too, to have this bitter cold with a relative lack of snowcover to help keep a lot of insect and invasive plant populations in check near your home.

• Like 2

I’ve often tried to research weather reports from the LIA (Little Ice Age) and the magnitude of the cold during the worst winters of that period I can’t even fathom, and I’ve no idea how modern people today would adjust. It was just such a different climate back then. 

Despite my name I don’t subscribe fully to the notion that the LIA was “caused” by large scale volcanism, rather it was enhanced in certain years. Even very large eruptions haven’t conclusively been proven to impact the climate for a period longer than a decade at the extreme end. The LIA was just a very cold oscillation that got punctuated by additional forcings. 

Regardless, I routinely daydream about what that period would’ve been like in our area. 

(If stuff like this is better served in the banter thread please ignore, I’m still a bit new here and this is quite a slow period). 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, NorthShoreWx said:

So basically, thus January's temperatures used to be normal.  Subjectively, it does seem that way.

Exactly, people have grown so soft. It's seem like one big winter storm is everyone's ideal winter now. It can be mild the rest of the winter and no one seems to care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bluewave said:

February is one of the few months of the cold season when a -PNA  gradient pattern can work for us. The EPS moved to this look during the first of February. Maybe this would take the January suppression off the table? But mixed precipitation issues could arise if the gradient is too far north. 

E51C29A0-2B2E-4B62-9C52-E6AF1B28EC8B.png.f8d6f387d9c9845163d27aafd483f4b2.png

It could work out but it could also be a not quite cold enough modified CP air mass bumping into cool not cold maritime air leaving us with 31-33° rain. 

25 minutes ago, Greg g said:

What is Tuesday looking like at this point ??

A chance of rain or snow showers, no major storm here. The flow is too flat/fast and the northern and southern streams do not phase. Moisture from the southern system slips out well to our south and the snow showers we would get would be from the cold front. Onto the 28th-30th. 

WX/PT

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

A chance of rain or snow showers, no major storm here. The flow is too flat/fast and the northern and southern streams do not phase. Moisture from the southern system slips out well to our south and the snow showers we would get would be from the cold front. Onto the 28th-30th. 

WX/PT

I see 12z GGEM is giving areas just slightly to the northwest of NYC a significant snowstorm late tuesday, and changes the city over to snow for a few hours at the end with a couple inches. I assume GGEM is off on this though. This scenario doesn't seem very realistic for the reasons you stated.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, winterwx21 said:

I see 12z GGEM is giving areas just slightly to the northwest of NYC a significant snowstorm late tuesday, and changes the city over to snow for a few hours at the end with a couple inches. I assume GGEM is off on this though. This scenario doesn't seem very realistic for the reasons you stated.

It still looks interesting to keep an eye on

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Monmouth_County_Jacpot said:

I highly doubt that’s  accurate. I really don’t see Augusta Georgia getting 2 1/2 feet of snow but than again after this winter who knows 

Of course it’s likely not accurate at this point. Hopefully if other models start to show a storm signal for that time period the takeaway is an event to track and hopefully something productive. Not ready to write winter off despite it at times making me feel I’d be better off doing so. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

No sign of a warmup on the gfs in the long range 

Well I know you must be kidding because yesterday snowman19 guaranteed a torch beginning February 1, like has never been seen before and it would last through March and pretty much wipe out the rest of winter. It's not like him to make predictions like that unless they're a sure thing.

I actually took out all my spring clothes last night even though it's going to -5° here tomorrow morning. Other than his call in December for a torch in January and the virtual end of winter he's never steered me wrong.

• Like 2
  • Haha 6

Say what you will, but this winter has a sense of humor. Overproducing cold with midday high of 19 at CPK after our warm bust of white rain yesterday.

Teleconnections be damned: I fully expect a Feb torch and a damp miserable spring. This winter has strong late 80s early 90s in Mass vibes to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Some GEFS Members start hitting 60 by the second week of February.        SD gives winter till the 10th.       The Sun-Angle-Boys will join the fray soon too.      But of course we still have that CFSv2 I posted yesterday.     That climate model messed up December I believe---but got January right.      

1642636800-ZUH6Qb5iq8c.png

Our end of month storm has shifted 500 miles to the west from two runs ago and is Sigma -4 overhead---unfortunately with the warm sector on board--- cause it shows no snow and a lot of rain:

1643565600-i9LBWiOIen0.png

• Like 1