• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

2 hours ago, wdrag said:

MOS guidance is warm...16F  so I don't spend a lot of timing deciding what it will be.  But to have MOS off by more than 6F on the cold side of a CAA situation seems a little much so that is why I decline to be confidence of below 10. You need a snow cover in CP... unsure if more than 1/2"???

There's little if anything at CP (maybe a trace fell this morning)

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, North and West said:

Going on absolutely nothing other than recent past experience, this will not pan out.

Of course, I hope I’m wrong, but it just has that feel of meh, it’s not gonna happen.

That’s my peer-reviewed scientific analysis.

Your probably right. I can dream can’t I?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Was a very sulphur-poor eruption, likely a lot of sulphur leached out into the ocean. 

It was an exceptional blast however, quite likely the single biggest explosion on earth since Krakatau. Novarupta and Santa Maria, while both larger than Tonga in terms of volume, were at a lower minute by minute intensity. 

I've seen calculations that its peak energy release was even ahead of Pinatubo's climactic peak on June 15th (though again, lesser in volume).Insane. 

Thanks for your reply... helpful.  Walt

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, North and West said:

Going on absolutely nothing other than recent past experience, this will not pan out.

Of course, I hope I’m wrong, but it just has that feel of meh, it’s not gonna happen.

That’s my peer-reviewed scientific analysis.

Reverse psychology; nice! Might just work lol 

• Like 1

THE BIG KISSOFF ----- BEFORE THE BIG WARMUP ----- in February???

20" and 35mph winds+any gusts.       Never gonna hold up till the 29th/30th.

1642680000-mpKkqs5QuxY.png

Gone Already?     We hardly knew you.      Above derived from 12Z but already useless..................

18Z

gfs_mslp_pcpn_frzn_namer_35.png

3 minutes ago, HVSnowLover said:

I cant tell if you mean the model or the winter lol. The model sure hasn't been too great this winter. 

I think he means the model run, though if he's referring to the storm 9/10 days away, it doesn't dig moisture from the gulf like the gfs, but it does have a low off the coast at the same time as the gfs and Canadian. Maybe in 3-4 days we can start the emotional roller coaster all over again in a new storm thread 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Jt17 said:

I think he means the model run, though if he's referring to the storm 9/10 days away, it doesn't dig moisture from the gulf like the gfs, but it does have a low off the coast at the same time as the gfs and Canadian. Maybe in 3-4 days we can start the emotional roller coaster all over again in a new storm thread 

Yea I'm sure that storm will come back and forth as usual on the long range models but atm I'm more interested in the mid week potential even though its more likely a minor event.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, jm1220 said:

The only places this winter that are really doing well snow wise are parts of the mid-Atlantic/South and out west where the Pacific vomited all over in Dec. At least we’re not suffering alone. 

It's climo though, places to our NW are not having a great winter but still have some snowpack. 

40 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The only places this winter that are really doing well snow wise are parts of the mid-Atlantic/South and out west where the Pacific vomited all over in Dec. At least we’re not suffering alone. 

Although I only have 12.5 inches on the season which is disappointingly below average for this point in time, I've had a solid snow cover since January 7th which weighs as much into my enjoying winter as the actual snowfall.

One blockbuster snowstorm, ala Jan2016, in the middle of a horrendous winter and that melted in most places that it hit within a week is not my idea of winter. To each his own.

1 minute ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

Although I only have 12.5 inches on the season which is disappointingly below average for this point in time, I've had a solid snow cover since January 7th which weighs as much into my enjoying winter as the actual snowfall.

One blockbuster snowstorm, ala Jan2016, in the middle of a horrendous winter and that melted in most places that it hit within a week is not my idea of winter. To each his own.

Yea thats the difference when you live somewhere that doesn't get much rain in January lol. The coast can't hold onto a snowpack without a big storm because of how frequently it rains. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The latest EPS weeklies coming in even warmer than previous runs for February. Next week looks like our last cold week for a while. The Pacific ridge retrogrades back to the Aleutians and allows the -PNA to pump the SE Ridge during the first week of February. It pulls the Aleutian Ridge back even further during the 2nd week of February. So this allows an even warmer +EPO pattern to develop. Plus we have a strong PV and +AO +NAO on the Atlantic side.

Jan 24-31

5D06A15D-6347-4262-98C2-5EAD261B3C35.jpeg.e060644b3ed342da8f62c97595f5c8f7.jpeg

Jan 31 -Feb 7

157BFE54-22B0-43A4-BABF-0083B4500051.jpeg.aa10877b7267e9abec837155408227b3.jpeg

Feb 7- Feb 14

594F6D81-0317-406B-932B-20FDF72C57B0.jpeg.3ccba520d52028e05328168b26465e16.jpeg

Warm in late Jan/Early Feb isn't necessarily bad but def relies on threading the needle to get anything.  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The latest EPS weeklies coming in even warmer than previous runs for February. Next week looks like our last cold week for a while. The Pacific ridge retrogrades back to the Aleutians and allows the -PNA to pump the SE Ridge during the first week of February. It pulls the Aleutian Ridge back even further during the 2nd week of February. So this allows an even warmer +EPO pattern to develop. Plus we have a strong PV and +AO +NAO on the Atlantic side.

Jan 24-31

5D06A15D-6347-4262-98C2-5EAD261B3C35.jpeg.e060644b3ed342da8f62c97595f5c8f7.jpeg

Jan 31 -Feb 7

157BFE54-22B0-43A4-BABF-0083B4500051.jpeg.aa10877b7267e9abec837155408227b3.jpeg

Feb 7- Feb 14

594F6D81-0317-406B-932B-20FDF72C57B0.jpeg.3ccba520d52028e05328168b26465e16.jpeg

Yeah a warm 2 weeks for sure. Then hopefully the shorter wavelengths kick in.

• Like 1