Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

6 hours ago, MJO812 said:

Vorts all over

We will get something 

There’s a vort that breaks off from the northern stream over the weekend that closes off and spins over Baja Peninsula and AZ for a day and a half or so before finally moving East into the flow with everything else. I think how that split goes and actual duration of that vacation in the SW determines how next week goes. 

We got the colder Pacific Ridge pattern  this month. But record Pacific Jet from December never fully relaxed. So it served to suppress the STJ too far to our south. Hopefully, we can get a larger snow event before the retrogression of the ridge back to the Aleutians and milder Western Trough returns in early February. 

377CF945-3ADB-4C31-9283-03D09B6311A0.gif.af7da32e77d50792b2ca7af70928cdf5.gif

5639B30B-3426-48A0-9FE2-AD4898E70666.gif.c10a57668c81bfc610b57eded8a368f1.gif

The next 8 days are averaging 29degs.(24/33) or -4.

Month to date is  32.9[-1.1].       Should be  31.6[-2.0] by the 28th.

Reached 49 here yesterday.

Today: Falling T's to 19 by tomorrow AM.      Precip. till 2pm when T may have reached 32---so little white.      Next 10 days BN and dry?   Jan. 30 with 15"+ is next, and only, date to follow?

41*(85%RH5) here at 6am,Rain{was 46* at midnite}    40* at 7am, snow line back by Morristown now.     39* at 8am, snow approaching Newark area.      36* at 9am and snow into most of SI.     Approaching Jersey City vicinity.    35* and wet snow here at 10am.      33* and wet snow, not sticking anywhere at 11am, moderate snow over and maybe 3hrs. of nothing to go.       Just about over at Noon, still 33*, no snow coverage.      Went back up to 35 and finally reached 32 at 6pm.

Yep, need some sort of a phase with the northern stream to get the STJ to do anything for us up here. Between now and the end of the month there's still a chance of that. Although nothing looks overly exciting at the moment. I suspect the best chance is when that cutoff in the SW is ejected. Or as the ridge begins to retrograde near the end of the month. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Physicsteve said:

There’s a vort that breaks off from the northern stream over the weekend that closes off and spins over Baja Peninsula and AZ for a day and a half or so before finally moving East into the flow with everything else. I think how that split goes and actual duration of that vacation in the SW determines how next week goes. 

We haven't had a good ol' 4 Corners Low come bowling across the country in too long. It sure would be nice to see one again.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

We haven't had a good ol' 4 Corners Low come bowling across the country in too long. It sure would be nice to see one again.

Encouragingly it’s been a persistent feature for a few runs on a few models. We’ll see! 

ETA: To be clear, it doesn’t stay closed as it moves East. Just wonder how when and where that energy eventually interacts will shape things. 

• Like 1

Morning thoughts…

Rain will end as a period of snow or flurries. 1” of snow is likely in Philadelphia, Newark, and New York City with local amounts as high as 3”. The temperature will fall throughout the day. High temperatures will likely reach the upper 30s and lower 40s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 39°

Newark: 37°

Philadelphia: 40°

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 39.1°; 15-Year: 39.7°

Newark: 30-Year: 39.6°; 15-Year: 40.4°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 40.9°; 15-Year: 41.5°

Tomorrow through the weekend will be cold and dry.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I’m just so over this winter. Hopefully we torch in February and March so it’s over. 

We will likely torch first 2 weeks then shorter wavelengths 2nd half of Feb and March kick in.

WRT reaching average Annual snowfall it will come down to whether or not we score a good event before EOM.

• Like 1

I actually love and prefer the cold. Not exactly a common sentiment I’m sure. Wife and I do most of our travel in the winter, lately to Iceland and hopefully Canada soon for cold weather hiking. 

Long term my wife and I may move north to places that are consistently colder and snowier. I’m very over living at the boring, warm coastal plain / continental shelf. 

While we started January rather well, this has just been a brutally disappointing ten day period, especially missing out on that massive inland storm. 

Here’s to hoping we score one more nice event on the pattern flip, at least. 

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

I’m just so over this winter. Hopefully we torch in February and March so it’s over. 

If nothing happens before February. I'm with you. I've aways said something needed to come together in January. Watch, now we'll see a SSW in mid February and well have lousy weather until June. I'd prefer we fire up a snowman19 ridge and rip the bandaid off. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Is anyone discussing the possible coldest temp of the season so far in NYC Saturday morning (maybe 8 or 9 above) and wind chills 5-10 below there, 15 below out here in Wantage  My guess the only things rueing against, is if NYC doesn't gain an inch of snow today and the southern system makes a sudden move north (not likely)

I also see the modeling trending warmer early Feb, but time for delays??  Feb 5-7 seems to be big time frame for BOS snows... 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

13 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

If nothing happens before February. I'm with you. I've aways said something needed to come together in January. Watch, now we'll see a SSW in mid February and well have lousy weather until June. I'd prefer we fire up a snowman19 ridge and rip the bandaid off. 

Yeah, I’m all for a snowman19 ridge. Bring us the warmth buddy 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Is anyone discussing the possible coldest temp of the season so far in NYC Saturday morning (maybe 8 or 9 above) and wind chills 5-10 below there, 15 below out here in Wantage  My guess the only things rueing against, is if NYC doesn't gain an inch of snow today and the southern system makes a sudden move north (not likely)

I also see the modeling trending warmer early Feb, but time for delays??  Feb 5-7 seems to be big time frame for BOS snows... 

I thought last Sat was cold, but this looks a few degrees colder

MOS guidance is warm...16F  so I don't spend a lot of timing deciding what it will be.  But to have MOS off by more than 6F on the cold side of a CAA situation seems a little much so that is why I decline to be confidence of below 10. You need a snow cover in CP... unsure if more than 1/2"???

2 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Honestly, this has the feel of a year where, after we're all lulled into Spring mode in February, shortening wavelengths yield a freak March snowstorm before Spring actually begins.

I agree that it's been a frustrating winter for us snow lovers though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Tonga vs Pinatubo: Climate cooling response unlikely per this article. 

https://www.space.com/tonga-volcano-eruption-wont-cool-climate

Was a very sulphur-poor eruption, likely a lot of sulphur leached out into the ocean. 

It was an exceptional blast however, quite likely the single biggest explosion on earth since Krakatau. Novarupta and Santa Maria, while both larger than Tonga in terms of volume, were at a lower minute by minute intensity. 

I've seen calculations that its peak energy release was even ahead of Pinatubo's climactic peak on June 15th (though again, lesser in volume).Insane. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

LoL at the big snowstorm at the end of the month on the gfs

It will be interesting to see if we can end the pattern with a nice snowstorm like we had at the beginning of it on January 7th. Sometimes we get bookend snows at the beginning and end of new patterns. Since the start  of November, it has been a steady 30 day pattern followed by a shift at the beginning of each new month. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, bluewave said:

It will be interesting to see if we can end the pattern with a nice snowstorm like we had at the beginning of it on January 7th. Sometimes we get bookend snows at the beginning and end of new patterns. Since the start  of November, it has been a steady 30 day pattern followed by a shift at the beginning of each new month. 

PNA going negative

Archambault event ?