• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

10 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

Mt. Holly has a special weather statement for this feature indicating the potential for 1/2” to 1” of accumulation for the area extending from the Lehigh Valley across central NJ down to the area of Toms River, NJ.

Getting it up in my area too, I wonder if this will last most of the day?

SNOW SQUALL WILL AFFECT NORTHERN OCEAN...MERCER...SOUTHWESTERN WARREN...SOUTHERN SOMERSET...HUNTERDON...NORTHERN BURLINGTON... MONMOUTH...MIDDLESEX...CARBON...SOUTHWESTERN MONROE...NORTHEASTERN LEHIGH...NORTHEASTERN BUCKS AND NORTHAMPTON COUNTIES...

At 916 AM EST, a snow band capable of producing a quick half inch to an inch of snow will impact portions of eastern PA and central NJ. Temperatures are cold enough that snow is quickly accumulating on roads under the band of snow.

Locations impacted include... Toms River, Trenton, New Brunswick, Long Branch, Easton, Asbury Park, Somerville, Lehighton, Somerset, Lakewood, Bethlehem, Old Bridge, Jackson, Howell, East Brunswick, South Brunswick, North Brunswick, Marlboro, Manalapan and Ewing.

Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather situations. Be prepared for snow or ice covered roads. Slow down and allow extra time when traveling.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

SNOW SQUALL WILL AFFECT NORTHERN OCEAN...MERCER...SOUTHWESTERN WARREN...SOUTHERN SOMERSET...HUNTERDON...NORTHERN BURLINGTON... MONMOUTH...MIDDLESEX...CARBON...SOUTHWESTERN MONROE...NORTHEASTERN LEHIGH...NORTHEASTERN BUCKS AND NORTHAMPTON COUNTIES...

At 916 AM EST, a snow band capable of producing a quick half inch to an inch of snow will impact portions of eastern PA and central NJ. Temperatures are cold enough that snow is quickly accumulating on roads under the band of snow.

Locations impacted include... Toms River, Trenton, New Brunswick, Long Branch, Easton, Asbury Park, Somerville, Lehighton, Somerset, Lakewood, Bethlehem, Old Bridge, Jackson, Howell, East Brunswick, South Brunswick, North Brunswick, Marlboro, Manalapan and Ewing.

Conditions can deteriorate rapidly in winter weather situations. Be prepared for snow or ice covered roads. Slow down and allow extra time when traveling.

Lehighton to Toms River is a  WNW to ESE trajectory- with the wind direction I suppose?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, bluewave said:

We definitely want something like that since the Euro is gong in the opposite direction from what we want to see at the start of February.

D3F903D9-57AC-4EA1-8B75-76D26663A5B6.thumb.png.5f973d31c2d8a78ac7f7811ceea8ec89.png

Thanks.

Does it keep that look to the end of the run or is it transient?

We just need to keep that delayed until the 2nd half of Feb. Like Don said RNA works starting 2nd half of February.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Putting aside the model output beyond 2 weeks which is very low skill, we want  at least some of the forcing to remain in areas other than the Maritime Continent like we have now. We currently have more of a Nino-like influence with the convection near and east of the date line. This has caused Nino 4 to warm back to neutral. It’s keeping the cold Pacific ridge pattern going. So if we can manage some mixed forcing in February, then maybe we can have a more serviceable shallower -PNA with ridging persisting near if just west of California. 

F40E72B1-EF75-4C1E-8AA1-7FE7B3C4143B.png.f02df5516b353b0f60ad519686660053.png

FFF9FDF7-D345-4EC7-A564-BB2132100E92.thumb.png.0ce8004a085a0786b23b70222ab004b8.png

I couldn't agree more. I'm just not really looking at the long-term too much currently. With the weekend on the table. Even after the weekend, there's still some more good potential before February too. This will be interesting to monitor moving forward for sure though. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

How heavy is it up by Albrightsville-Lake Harmony area?

This type of snow activity tends to be low topped and the activity up in the Poconos is not always well picked up by radar from Mt. Holly.  I can’t tell you what the conditions are like up there now however in the space of 5 minutes we went from 3/8 mile visibility to just a few flurries.  I would guess that conditions are improving up there.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bluewave said:

It all depends on what the forcing does. The MJO stall in December gave us almost a super La Niña record -PNA type pattern. This month the forcing shifted east and is more Nino-like. So we are getting an active southern stream and cold Pacific ridge pattern. February will come down to where forcing goes next. Models typically don’t handle this very well beyond week 2. But if a more La Niña-like pattern shows up in February, then some version of the Aleutians Ridge and Western Trough will return. Optimally, we would want a shallower Western Trough than is being depicted by the 300hr+ Euro. We only had a few La Niña years when a very hostile December greatly improved in January. While the -PNA returned in February, it wasn’t as strong as December. So those years had some carryover of the favorable January pattern into the first week of February. But since our climate has become more extreme in recent years, I am not sure if those older analogs will still apply to this climate. 

The tail end of the month change back to RNA has been well advertised for the past week and it has a lot of support with the ensembles now. The models did a good job showing the coming end of month change in the tropical forcing a couple of weeks back 

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

2 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The tail end of the month change back to RNA has been well advertised for the past week and it has a lot of support with the ensembles now. The models did a good job showing the coming end of month change in the tropical forcing a couple of weeks back 

I normally don't post about the LR, and I typically do appreciate your posts, but have you ever once showed anything that is either normal or cold? LR forecasts for January really busted hard just as those cold calls for December busted hard. This year the LR has abysmal performance despite what anyone says. Based on what I have seen, I am thinking that February will wind up closer to normal with a typical thaw week. I do think there will be storm chances or even just small nuisance storms.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I normally don't post about the LR, and I typically do appreciate your posts, but have you ever once showed anything that is either normal or cold? LR forecasts for January really busted hard just as those cold calls for December busted hard. This year the LR has abysmal performance despite what anyone says. Based on what I have seen, I am thinking that February will wind up closer to normal with a typical thaw week. I do think there will be storm chances or even just small nuisance storms.

Ok. you’re certainly entitled to think that….

• Haha 1

Milder air will return early tomorrow ahead of an approaching cold front. That front will likely bring some rain and snow showers to the region. There is a chance that the precipitation ends as a period of accumulating snow in parts of the region. The potential exists for a 1"-3" accumulation in parts of the region.

Much colder air will follow for the weekend. Some of the guidance hints at the development of another storm that could impact parts of the East Coast, but there remains considerable uncertainty.

The PNA is positive and is likely to remain positive through at least January 27th. A positive PNA is associated with more frequent snowfalls in the Middle Atlantic region. However, big snowfalls typically occur when the AO is negative.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.4°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.8°C for the week centered around January 12. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -1.20°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -1.03°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist through meteorological winter.

The SOI was -2.63 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +0.507.

On January 16 the MJO was in Phase 8 at an amplitude of 0.662 (RMM). The January 15-adjusted amplitude was 0.927 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 92% probability that New York City will have a colder than normal January (1991-2020 normal). January will likely finish with a mean temperature near 30.6° (3.1° below normal).

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Ok. you’re certainly entitled to think that….

I’m just saying it is interesting to see MJO with the snow goggles, you with the sunglasses, and the majority of people discussing various results from cold to warm although there is a slight cold bias overall. No offense to anyone haha 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JustinRP37 said:

I’m just saying it is interesting to see MJO with the snow goggles, you with the sunglasses, and the majority of people discussing various results from cold to warm although there is a slight cold bias overall. No offense to anyone haha 

Good evening JRP37. Nicely put …… when navigating the cold months and jousting with the models, the atmosphere will essentially react with ‘less than’ rather than ‘more’ of a definitive prediction. The major difficulty, it seems, is balancing between taking offense or being offensive. Have a good night. As always …

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Tatamy said:

This is what conditions are like at my location currently.

CEDB49CD-DFAE-49B1-8EDA-A0403212A2B7.jpeg

Beautiful. I was jealous watching the radar earlier today. I feel like I've missed everything this year. Barely seen any daytime snowfall. But the stats say we're limping along just slightly below normal.

Morning thoughts…

It will be variably cloudy and mild today. High temperatures will likely middle and upper 40s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 45°

Newark: 46°

Philadelphia: 49°

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 39.1°; 15-Year: 39.8°

Newark: 30-Year: 39.6°; 15-Year: 40.4°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 40.9°; 15-Year: 41.5°

There will be a period of accumulating snow late tonight through tomorrow morning. A general 1”-3” is likely across most of the region, including New York City, Newark, and Philadelphia.

15 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Well…this pattern hasnt worked for us much if you like “big” snowstorms.

Becoming pretty clear that January is going to end with a lot of near misses

22F at moment

• Like 3