• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

Morning thoughts…

It will be partly to mostly cloudy today. Temperatures will begin to fall this afternoon. High temperatures will likely lower 40s in most of the region. Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 42°

Newark: 42°

Philadelphia: 41°

Colder air will return for tomorrow. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Also, what is a “KU” storm? Through context I gather it’s a historic or near historic snowstorm with feet of snowfall. But I can’t find a definition and I’ve seen the term used here frequently. 

I’m a long time lurker that finally made an account. 

Kocin Ucellini they write the book Northeast Snowstorms. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

First threat  is a miss offshore on the gfs

The GFS still looks pretty far off at H5. GEFS still unfocused with a broad timeframe of potential threats. I almost feel like we gotta root for the Thursday "anafrontal" event now. It would be great to have a singular significant threat to track this week, but it might never happen. We gotta take what we can get. Even a dusting this evening to freshen up the muck would be great.

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Way too early to give up on this weekend 

Nobody's giving up. But we still need major model changes to get good snows. Once guidance locks onto a miss solution inside 5 days, the odds start to stack against us. It's been a while since we were in a good spot inside 5 days. It's nice that we haven't been shut out this year. But most everything has been nighttime and just off-center up to this point this year. A daytime, Saturday snow event would be perfect. A GFS trend towards a sharper trof would be huge to see this evening. But I'm not optimistic based on ensembles and what I've seen so far from the UK, CMC, and ICON. I expect the Euro to be fairly far offshore for Saturday too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowman19 said:

The models are showing solid -PNA by the beginning of February and the signal has been very consistent. The change coming in tropical convective forcing supports it. 

That's fine negative PNA in Feb is better than December and if we get a negative NAO with it, it can be magical.

• Like 1

The powerful storm that raked coastal areas with winds gusts in excess of 60 mph and brought heavy rain to the region after some snow to some areas is now moving away. Daily precipitation amounts included:

Bridgeport: 0.86" (old record: 0.77", 1994)
Islip: 1.48" (old record: 0.70", 1994)
New York City-JFK: 0.92"
New York City-LGA: 1.06"
New York City-NYC: 1.15"
Newark: 1.30"

Tomorrow will be blustery and colder before milder air returns early on Thursday ahead of an approaching cold front. That front will likely bring some rain and snow showers to the region. There is a chance that the precipitation ends as a period of accumulating snow in parts of the region.

Much colder air will follow for the weekend. Some of the guidance hints at the development of another storm that could impact parts of the East Coast, but uncertainty is high.

The PNA is positive and is likely to remain positive through at least January 27th. A positive PNA is associated with more frequent snowfalls in the Middle Atlantic region. However, big snowfalls typically occur when the AO is negative.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was -0.4°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.8°C for the week centered around January 12. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -1.20°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -1.03°C. La Niña conditions will likely persist through meteorological winter.

The SOI was -8.76 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.540.

On January 15 the MJO was in Phase 7 at an amplitude of 0.928 (RMM). The January 14-adjusted amplitude was 1.309 (RMM).

Based on sensitivity analysis applied to the latest guidance, there is an implied 91% probability that New York City will have a colder than normal January (1991-2020 normal). January will likely finish with a mean temperature near 30.7° (3.0° below normal).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1