• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit

32 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Unfortunately, I was too young to really embrace that year for what it was. I just remember it snowing every weekend that year. Hopefully, one year in the near future we repeat that pattern. 

we're probably never getting it again

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, EasternLI said:

Dateline forcing in 02-03. Hence the love affair with Modoki El Niño’s. Fortuitous little warm pool sitting right there that year. +PDO too.

The Nino only works if the W PAC cools down. That seems like the issue with the 18-19 winter that could never act like a Nino because it kept the huge warm anomaly near Australia. This Nina is really acting up because of that warm pool. We might really need a mod to strong Nino to get it to couple if this warm Australia water is a semi permanent feature. 

19 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

The Nino only works if the W PAC cools down. That seems like the issue with the 18-19 winter that could never act like a Nino because it kept the huge warm anomaly near Australia. This Nina is really acting up because of that warm pool. We might really need a mod to strong Nino to get it to couple if this warm Australia water is a semi permanent feature. 

Yes. One way or another. We need to see some sst gradients otherwise it's useless. I imagine other factors would just take over. Like a enso neutral. Not really much of a gradient in 18-19, just warm all over. Hopefully it's not a totally permanent feature yet, but the outlook isn't great. I'd like to give a moderate one a shot. We haven't done that in a while. But I think a strong one is coming sooner rather than later. This mjo has been downwelling that record warm water during this time. I'm curious to see what happens with that. 

7 hours ago, Allsnow said:

What I meant is that I don’t think this is a year like 11/12 or 19/20 when it’s a complete shut out. I feel we will finish below avg snowfall wise but still get a favorable 2-3 week period 

If the eps long range forecast is correct I’m optimistic that we make up for lost time fast and end up well above average snow. I was starting to get nervous about this winter a couple weeks ago once the trough out west kept deepening and refused to go away. I hate seeing a trough out west, that’s never good for us even if there is North Atlantic blocking. However, now that there are signs of the trough out west not only going away but being replaced by a massive ridge, I believe this January will be epic. February usually warms up in la ninas but this one is more east based, and Ray from the New England forum has mentioned how east based ninas tend to be more backloaded than central based ones. Hopefully that bodes well for Feb and March, but we will need to see how the polar vortex looks. 

• Weenie 5

December ended at  43.8[+4.7] nowadays, but +7.9 from my 1960's Almanacs for NYC.

The first 8 days of January are averaging  39degs.[35/44],or +5(+3 nowadays)

HNY2022---you can start your summer planning today.

First run of the year:

1640995200-8daW6T6dzi0.png

51*(99%RH) here at 6am(Fog<0.25mi.)  52* at 9am, fog lifting, but drizzle continues.     55* at Noon.    A few hundred people showed up for the Polar Bear Dip.   56* at 1pm.    

Happy New Year everyone. After a mild start to the year, the Euro is bringing a very intense polar vortex to SE Canada. This is due to the very strong -EPO and +PNA around day 10. So it will be interesting to track the progress of this Arctic outbreak as we get closer.

5EF24E9F-9BB5-4F84-B0CA-76F8B8F934E7.thumb.png.aec2f4034c2cf8c3d702aefd607ba9f4.png

• Like 4

Happy New Year to every member that posts here!  Am not threading anything yet for Jan 2-3, Jan 6-7  The reasons are in the graphics below. The uncertainties are largest in the gradients.  If interested, click each for greater clarity.

The 06z/1 raw 10 to 1 snow ratio'd operational EC and GDPS (Canadian). Both are nada and as is the NAM (not attached).  My guess is a few ensemble members of the EPS/GEFS have a touch of snow in our forum but overwhelmingly it's unlikely. Saw the 06z GFS northern fringe but my guess on that is that not enough dry air is infused to dry out the northern fringe to virga.  So,  until the Canadian and NAM move north, I just cant get excited.

Jan 6-7 is of more interest to me, at least I95 itself northwestward.  Anything can happen at this point but it does look like a sizable wintery qpf event is coming to the northeast. How close it gets to NYC... unknown but I've alerted my I84 friends to monitor future forecasts for travel Friday morning.  Click the graphics if interested for greater clarity.  06z/1 EC OP, 06z /1 GGEM=GDPS OP, NWS 09z/1 Ensemble prob of 1"---all these focused on Sunday night-Monday morning, and then the late Thu-Fri ensemble chance of 3" of snow.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 7.18.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 7.24.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 6.43.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 6.38.42 AM.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

Happy New Year everyone. After a mild start to the year, the Euro is bringing a very intense polar vortex to SE Canada. This is due to the very strong -EPO and +PNA around day 10. So it will be interesting to track the progress of this Arctic outbreak as we get closer.

5EF24E9F-9BB5-4F84-B0CA-76F8B8F934E7.thumb.png.aec2f4034c2cf8c3d702aefd607ba9f4.png

If you want snowstorms hope that’s wrong. With a TPV in that position you are going to be very cold and dry. There is going to be screaming fast flow around it, any shortwaves are going to get put through the meat grinder and sheared, suppressed to bits….

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

If you want snowstorms hope that’s wrong. With a TPV in that position you are going to be very cold and dry. There is going to be screaming fast flow around it, any shortwaves are going to get put through the meat grinder and sheared, suppressed to bits….

Give me the cold and I’ll take my chances. It’ll find a way to snow be it a clipper, mauler, Archimbault as the trough lifts out whatever. But without the cold  you have no chance and rarely is there a period in the MidAtlantic where it doesn’t snow because it’s too cold. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TriPol said:

Happy New Year, everyone! May we all get buried in 20" of snow next Friday!

This just about sums it up for the next 10 days the clunker winter in NYC of 21 - 22 continues......until further notice

sn10_acc.conus.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

Happy New Year to every member that posts here!  Am not threading anything yet for Jan 2-3, Jan 6-7  The reasons are in the graphics below. The uncertainties are largest in the gradients.  If interested, click each for greater clarity.

The 06z/1 raw 10 to 1 snow ratio'd operational EC and GDPS (Canadian). Both are nada and as is the NAM (not attached).  My guess is a few ensemble members of the EPS/GEFS have a touch of snow in our forum but overwhelmingly it's unlikely. Saw the 06z GFS northern fringe but my guess on that is that not enough dry air is infused to dry out the northern fringe to virga.  So,  until the Canadian and NAM move north, I just cant get excited.

Jan 6-7 is of more interest to me, at least I95 itself northwestward.  Anything can happen at this point but it does look like a sizable wintery qpf event is coming to the northeast. How close it gets to NYC... unknown but I've alerted my I84 friends to monitor future forecasts for travel Friday morning.  Click the graphics if interested for greater clarity.  06z/1 EC OP, 06z /1 GGEM=GDPS OP, NWS 09z/1 Ensemble prob of 1"---all these focused on Sunday night-Monday morning, and then the late Thu-Fri ensemble chance of 3" of snow.

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 7.18.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 7.24.40 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 6.43.29 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-01-01 at 6.38.42 AM.png

Nice discussion. 1/6-1/7 definitely looks like an I-84 - north snow/wintry event. Unfortunately, we lost the -NAO blocking, also lost the -AO. Any shortwave that amps is going to want to be an inland runner/cutter. With the +NAO, there nothing to stop a SE ridge flex and force secondary redevelopment off the coast. The blocking left at a real bad time

Morning thoughts...

Today will be cloudy, rainy, and mild. Temperatures will likely reach the middle and even upper 50s across much of the region. Likely high temperatures include:

New York City (Central Park): 54°
Newark: 57°
Philadelphia: 59°

Tomorrow will start mild, but temperatures will fall sharply late in the day.

30-Day Verification:

New York City (Central Park):
Average daily forecast: 48.4°
Average temperature: 48.3°
Average error: 1.1°

Newark:
Average daily forecast: 51.2°
Average temperature: 50.4°
Average error: 1.6°

Philadelphia:
Average daily forecast: 52.5°
Average temperature: 52.0°
Average error: 1.6°

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, greenmtnwx said:

Give me the cold and I’ll take my chances. It’ll find a way to snow be it a clipper, mauler, Archimbault as the trough lifts out whatever. But without the cold  you have no chance and rarely is there a period in the MidAtlantic where it doesn’t snow because it’s too cold. 

Exactly. That is definitely a cold dry look, but as you said when it lifts out we will get overrunning snows.

29 minutes ago, LoboLeader1 said:

Currently 48 here, I was reading on another board that this month might be our best shot for snow. We shall see. Thus far a trace of snow here in HPN.

The warm December aside, I honestly cannot remember the last time we have gone into the first week of January with less than an inch of snow. We got nothing in November and I only have 0.5 of snow total for December. In recent history, I think only 97-98 and 01-02 did this. Even 11-12 and 19-20 had much more snow by this time…..

13 hours ago, forkyfork said:

we're probably never getting it again

Of course not.  And that was the thinking before it happened and even right after.  It was an anomalous winter and an all time record for NYC.  Should not expect 75 inches.  

Yet other stations in the east have broken their all time records since 1996.  DC broke the 1996 record in 2010 for example.  

Probably never, yes.  Never?  Probably no.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cleetussnow said:

Of course not.  And that was the thinking before it happened and even right after.  It was an anomalous winter and an all time record for NYC.  Should not expect 75 inches.  

Yet other stations in the east have broken their all time records since 1996.  DC broke the 1996 record in 2010 for example.  

Probably never, yes.  Never?  Probably no.  

Never say never.