Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
I’m dreaming of an Icy Christmas

Sey-Mour Snow

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Scan elevation ?  ... maybe another higher warm layer.  I mean the 'tuck' doesn't mean it's cooling above necessarily, right ?

I was thinking lower layer since GYX nor BOX is indicating mixing over me. It’s all snow again now…maybe it was just some partially melted flakes making a bit of extra noise. 

Had about 20 flakes at 10:45, none since.  Radar shows us in the lower part of a dry corridor that runs 300°-120°, with lighter precip to the north and better stuff south.  Unfortunately (for us) the echoes are moving parallel to the dry area.  Them that gets keep getting.  Those that don't, won't (for several hours anyway).  Better to get skunked on a teeny event than a significant storm, though the grandkids would love some flakes in the air.  Mid 20s here and the lack of echoes overhead probably means RH about 70%, similar to cloudy BGR.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Jesus I’m an idiot. I should probably look at actual obs. Still ZR at MHT and CON so there’s a mixedlayer below the GYX and BOX beam for sure. That explains the brief mix back up here.

The warmest layer on a lot of soundings was pretty low. Like below 900mb. Kind of a weird event where the warm layer was so low, yet the sfc temps were pretty darned cold. Usually it’s the other way around. 

Merry Christmas guys! Hope you and your families are nice and safe. Honestly, I myself did not expect an ice rink today. Highly unusual this close to the Boston area. Many relatives cancelled. I haven't seen something like this in quite a while around these parts.:santa:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The warmest layer on a lot of soundings was pretty low. Like below 900mb. Kind of a weird event where the warm layer was so low, yet the sfc temps were pretty darned cold. Usually it’s the other way around. 

It’s starting to creep back into SW ME now, but it probably extends back further into NH under the beam. I’m getting more mangled flakes mixing back in.

Pushing 1” now.

182DE91B-B842-4DB5-AAFD-60F8E1836551.gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Greg said:

Merry Christmas guys! Hope you and your families are nice and safe. Honestly, I myself did not expect an ice rink today. Highly unusual this close to the Boston area. Many relatives cancelled. I haven't seen something like this in quite a while around these parts.:santa:

Same here, going to be a small gathering but I don't want anyone get in accident today. My sister from Maine got down to 95 and there were cars all over the place, three accidents within two miles so she turned around and went home. It's nasty out there in spots.

3 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

Same here, going to be a small gathering but I don't want anyone get in accident today. My sister from Maine got down to 95 and there were cars all over the place, three accidents within two miles so she turned around and went home. It's nasty out there in spots.

Tell me about it! Seriously, I'm here watching ice accumulate on the branches, grass, bushes, railings, pavement, and my Kia Sportage is all entombed in ice.

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

It’s starting to creep back into SW ME now, but it probably extends back further into NH under the beam. I’m getting more mangled flakes mixing back in.

Pushing 1” now.

182DE91B-B842-4DB5-AAFD-60F8E1836551.gif

Nice portrayal of the no-snow corridor currently over our place to Skowhegan.  Maybe the echoes going over Montreal will hold together until reaching here, though unfortunately it will be after dark.