Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

7 minutes ago, Digityman said:

I'm not sure what it was this morning but it was cold.   Pup's breath was freezing on his fir during our morning walk to the waterfall.  

image.thumb.png.2c869f912c17de027215678d76c6659a.png

i hope his balls didn't freeze to the ice like Charlie in the movie Joe Dirt

On 1/22/2022 at 9:20 PM, George001 said:

If this storm lives up to it’s potential, it will be measured in feet, not inches and it would be a widespread area too. From what I see there is both very strong northern stream energy and a very strong southern stream energy. There are like 4-5 pieces of energy, and if even 2 of them phase it’s a big storm. If everything phases, in my opinion the low will deepen even more than the models are saying right now, possibly all the way to the 940s or even 930s. I’ve never seen so many pieces of energy that strong so close together on the models, last time we got a low that deepened to the 960s (mid March 2018), the much of the region saw 18-24 inches with isolated 24-30 totals with blizzard conditions. We had a monster blizzard with a low in the 960s, if it gets down to the 940s or 930s which could happen if this maximizes it’s potential, there is a very real chance of a widespread 40-48 inches with an isolated 48-60. That is what a low that gets down to the 930s that stalls over the cape would do. Due to how many pieces of energy there are and how strong each piece is, there is a lot of room for error in my opinion. Even if only 2-3 pieces phase, if it comes up the coast that’s still a huge storm. 

This has a chance at being right (my 40 bun post)

Hi George.
40-60 seems a bit over done.  With my very little knowledge of meteorology, I'd think you'd have to have blocking to get those amounts.   I could see some spots with 30 or slightly more.  I think 20-30 could be common through Boston area and up the Maine coast.   I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

5, no faking it here this winter. -8 for Bob?

I'm super impressed at the departures up here.  It's seemed like a lot of radiational cooling nights but the fact that well-mixed BTV has the largest temperature departure up here shows that it was some legit arctic air masses.

January departures so far of BTV at -6.6F and MVL at -5.9F.

Burlington trying to nudge closer to a -7F monthly is insane given that sites warm tendencies.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I'm super impressed at the departures up here.  It's seemed like a lot of radiational cooling nights but the fact that well-mixed BTV has the largest temperature departure up here shows that it was some legit arctic air masses.

January departures so far of BTV at -6.6F and MVL at -5.9F.

Burlington trying to nudge closer to a -7F monthly is insane given that sites warm tendencies.

It’s been solid here. Started with a torch high on the first of 52, but that’s it. You know how it goes with cutters, we can hit 60. But that was the monthly high.  I do wish we had more Snow over  this month to go along with it, but it’s been in dumpings lol. Hopefully some cover is here to stay.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s been solid here. Started with a torch high on the first of 52, but that’s it. You know how it goes with cutters, we can hit 60. But that was the monthly high.  I do wish we had more Snow over  this month to go along with it, but it’s been in dumpings lol. Hopefully some cover is here to stay.

All of BOS/ORH/BDL/PVD are going to finish the month colder than -2 and have above average snowfall. First good January in a while.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

All of BOS/ORH/BDL/PVD are going to finish the month colder than -2 and have above average snowfall. First good January in a while.

Question if ORH and BDL can make it.   Maybe given today’s minimum.  Through 1/30:

BOS:  -2.0

BDL:  -1.7

ORH:  -1.6

PVD:  -2.0