Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

All we get is fake weather… mixed out valley in warm season when it’s 90F in May with a dew of 40F and DIT is raging that it’s not hot.

Its the transient of a lot of it, whether it’s fluffy snow, radiational cooling, real low RH heat that drops 30F the minute the sun goes down… transient stuff gets the moniker of fake.

We have fun and call it different stuff. Glad you guys are enjoying a nice wintry period. Maybe we’ll get one. 

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty rare to get air masses that don’t mix cold down unless it’s maybe spring time with sun and you get extra diabetic heating that is far more than winter. I’d call that fake warmth…like in March when when you have -2C 850 temps and sun the day before a big storm hits….you hit 52F but then when precip starts it’s in the upper 20th r lower 30s. 

Diabetic heating? Wilford Brimley has entered the chat.

• Haha 5

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It is impressive up north. No denying it. 

Sounds like SpinJ has a gun to your head making you type all these explanation posts now. LOL

I knew exactly what you meant. The cold in Berlin is often “fake” as they torch right past me and end up getting rain. -25 didn’t help as soon as actual weather moved in. Seen it before. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That’s absolutely awesome. What a set up.  So impressive. 

MWN basically averaged a -30°F dew overnight while warming up to above 0° and they were only like 5kt this morning. Those really dry mountainsides radiated well and all of that snowsurface cold just kept draining into the valleys.

Just now, PhineasC said:

Sounds like SpinJ has a gun to your head making you type all these explanation posts now. LOL

I knew exactly what you meant. The cold in Berlin is often fake as they torch right past me and end up getting rain. -25 didn’t help as soon as actual weather moved in. Seen it before. 

He would be the type to do that. Seems like a calm VT fellow. Bright BioChem guy, maybe longer hair with a Bolton Valley bumper sticker on his Subaru. But driving south on 89 as we speak with a 45 long slide ready to ask me why I make fun of his 0.1” fluff. 

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

We have fun and call it different stuff. Glad you guys are enjoying a nice wintry period. Maybe we’ll get one. 

Oh I just love it as you all know I love large diurnal ranges.  May pull a 45F swing today? Warm afternoon and cold nights.

I got that desire from growing up always checking the Colorado weather stations. I used to solely look at like Crested Butte, Steamboat Springs, etc.  See those warm to hot afternoons and cold nights.  Same in winter, -20F to +25F and back again.  My favorite type of climate.

• Like 2