Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s kind of fake in that it goes away as soon as you mix out. Like many spots around here that were below zero will crack 20F today. There’s definitely a difference in radiaitonal cold vs advected deep cold. Yeah, pipes and cars still have problems but other things like wind chill and rate of daytime warming are vastly different. 

Maybe some folks hung over and grumpy?

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s kind of fake in that it goes away as soon as you mix out. Like many spots around here that were below zero will crack 20F today. There’s definitely a difference in radiaitonal cold vs advected deep cold. Yeah, pipes and cars still have problems but other things like wind chill and rate of daytime warming are vastly different. 

It goes bad quickly at -20F to -30F when pipes start bursting :lol:.

I totally get it, but man it's cold this morning.  Rare levels, which is a novelty.

272069575_10160094802688792_9047684098702073883_n.thumb.jpg.0ff7c8f6483145c14e3e24a14a18b03b.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, JC-CT said:

Fake cold to me would be a cold airmass aloft that never mixes down to the surface, where most of us two legged mostly-hairless mammals live.

If it’s that cold aloft it would mix. That’s thermodynamics. But I believe you’re thinking of the downslope dandy phenomenon?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Fake cold to me would be a cold airmass aloft that never mixes down to the surface, where most of us two legged mostly-hairless mammals live.

Pretty rare to get air masses that don’t mix cold down unless it’s maybe spring time with sun and you get extra diabetic heating that is far more than winter. I’d call that fake warmth…like in March when when you have -2C 850 temps and sun the day before a big storm hits….you hit 52F but then when precip starts it’s in the upper 20th r lower 30s. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pretty rare to get air masses that don’t mix cold down unless it’s maybe spring time with sun and you get extra diabetic heating that is far more than winter. I’d call that fake warmth…like in March when when you have -2C 850 temps and sun the day before a big storm hits….you hit 52F but then when precip starts it’s in the upper 20th r lower 30s. 

That’s Tip warmth. When he starts talking about warm bums in cars and the first warm day at Fox Hall where the girls start to wear less clothing. 

• Haha 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

We joke about fake cold, but do you honestly think we as meteorologists somehow think otherwise? It’s a joke guys.  Our point is that it was just ideal radiational cooling since temps aloft aren’t too cold. 

There are undertones of weather weenie geographical classism. We need to support our valley downslopers.

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

If it’s that cold aloft it would mix. That’s thermodynamics. But I believe you’re thinking of the downslope dandy phenomenon?

All we get is fake weather… mixed out valley in warm season when it’s 90F in May with a dew of 40F and DIT is raging that it’s not hot.

Its the transient of a lot of it, whether it’s fluffy snow, radiational cooling, real low RH heat that drops 30F the minute the sun goes down… transient stuff gets the moniker of fake.