Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

8 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Maybe they will come up with a new thermometer that can measure fake cold separately from real cold

AAA is busy this morning around these parts with cars that won’t start.  One guy told me they said it’d be two hours at least before they can get to him… he was funny, said his pampered car sits in a garage all year down south, gets left out in a hotel parking lot at -25F and nope, not gonna start.

I get that it’s fake cold but pipes bursting, water lines freezing, cars not starting, this cold is a lot more impactful than -10F with wind.  You start pushing the temps where diesel won’t start.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I wasn’t even going there? Why so angry? Isn’t the poop frozen?

It’s impressive that the airmass itself isn’t like brutal -30 850s.

Lol angry? Just the argument is brutal.  Like saying overnight low in the 70s on a summer night when we are inverted is fake 

Just now, powderfreak said:

AAA is busy this morning around these parts with cars that won’t start.  One guy told me they said it’d be two hours at least before they can get to him… he was funny, said his pampered car sits in a garage all year, gets left out in a hotel parking lot at -25F and nope, not gonna start.

I get that it’s fake cold but pipes bursting, water lines freezing, cars not starting, this cold is a lot more impactful than -10F with wind.  You start pushing the temps where diesel will start. 

Temperature is temperature. If someone wants to say that the airmass above the surface isnt that cold as some airmasses, fine. The air at the surface is as cold as it always is at X degrees.

Just now, moneypitmike said:

If that could only migrate north 10-20 miles I might get a coating.  Just flurries ftl.

We have something a little “heavier” than flurries. It’s steady very light snow call it. It looks nice because of the perfect fat aggregates but it doesnt really add up to anything unless it does this for hours and hours. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol angry? Just the argument is brutal.  Like saying overnight low in the 70s on a summer night when we are inverted is fake 

It’s kind of fake in that it goes away as soon as you mix out. Like many spots around here that were below zero will crack 20F today. There’s definitely a difference in radiaitonal cold vs advected deep cold. Yeah, pipes and cars still have problems but other things like wind chill and rate of daytime warming are vastly different. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

It’s kind of fake in that it goes away as soon as you mix out. Like many spots around here that were below zero will crack 20F today. There’s definitely a difference in radiaitonal cold vs advected deep cold. Yeah, pipes and cars still have problems but other things like wind chill and rate of daytime warming are vastly different. 

Respectfully disagree...that makes it transient, not fake.

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

Temperature is temperature. If someone wants to say that the airmass above the surface isnt that cold as some airmasses, fine. The air at the surface is as cold as it always is at X degrees.

It’s -16 or so at 850. That’s my point. The cold is just crisp dry air, snow, and HP. That’s why temps are so low. So from a met standpoint, I find that interesting.