Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

1 hour ago, Jersey Andrew said:

Tip, do you think the DC metro area is in the mix for this potential monster?

Prooobably should desist from using adjectives like “monster” for the time being… Even if you say potential in the front of it it doesn’t really convey the best motive operation moving forward…

i’d like to see the ensembles tonight before starting a thread which is what I said - it was contingent upon that. But support has certainly grown considerably in the last three days since we started sniffing this out actually if you really wanna get technical we started sniffing it out a week ago that’s never here nor there now…

That’s  the quick and dirty deterministic approach for now…

as far as your question I would say everybody from the interior south east all the way up the coast is preliminarily in the hunt on this one but that by no means speaks to the any kind of specifics as far as impacts. The critical aspect is that the positive PNA may actually be an emerging thing going on as we speak and I’m seeing that the operational runs are trying to bulge western hgts more; prior to that hgts over the Gulf, adjacent Florida and the southwest Atlantic basin are in situ relaxed which means that if there is any digging into the Tennessee valley it’s not gonna get absorbed in very much velocity shearing so we could end up having a fairly deep solution early on down the coast… Stay tuned

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well it hasn’t been cold and dry . It looks like other than a 1-3 Tuesday ad then it’s C and D . But it’s been snowy last few weeks. 

8 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’ll gladly take another 1-3” . Yes please . No big boys this year 

7 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why is everyone creaming their jeans on a faux event a week + away when Tuesday snower is right in front of us?

6 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

That’s what Tuesday will be . Enjoy the day 11 storm. Back to your break from the board 

Had me second guessing myself

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yeah probably. Here's the HIE daily records since the ASOS began in 7/96.

HIEminrecords.png

I remember those cold days of Jan 16/17 2009.  We were living in Bethlehem.  One of those two days I went to Lancaster via Whitefield.  When I got to Lancaster the bank thermometer read -34.  I got out in the parking lot and it was actually very comfortable in the early morning sunshine with no wind.

It is already -6f here, based on the massive number of cars heading north on 89 tonight it is going to be a big weekend at the Vermont Ski resorts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, klw said:

I remember those cold days of Jan 16/17 2009.  We were living in Bethlehem.  One of those two days I went to Lancaster via Whitefield.  When I got to Lancaster the bank thermometer read -34.  I got out in the parking lot and it was actually very comfortable in the early morning sunshine with no wind.

It is already -6f here, based on the massive number of cars heading north on 89 tonight it is going to be a big weekend at the Vermont Ski resorts.

That was the date 01/16/09 it was -50°F at Big Black River here in Maine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Had to take a weenie drive. You go from a coating to about 5” in maybe 3-4 miles. Crazy gradient. 
Makes me want to camp out on a frozen cranberry bog by myself like Bear Grylls.

I love that stuff too, ha. The sharp gradients are awe-inspiring no matter where you are.

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yeah probably. Here's the HIE daily records since the ASOS began in 7/96.

HIEminrecords.png

Seems like the real cold nights on the whole have been becoming less likely, but maybe it's just a brief interlude of a better mixed atmosphere over the years... but of course some solid arctic air masses will make their way into NNE.  With normal conditions and an arctic air mass, we'll get these occasional 2-4 year cold mins.  Be interesting when we see the next 10 year cold temps.

-15F with a dew of -20F at the ASOS.

It is absolutely frigid outside... tree and deck popping cold.  These temperatures hit a different way.  0F is one thing, the -15F to -20F and colder stuff is fairly brutal.  Especially at 9:30pm letting the dog out for the last time this evening.  She went out, did the business, and came inside even as starting to lift paws due to cold.  It's the type of cold you die if you ended up stranded outside in.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

-15F with a dew of -20F at the ASOS.

It is absolutely frigid outside... tree and deck popping cold.  These temperatures hit a different way.  0F is one thing, the -15F to -20F and colder stuff is fairly brutal.  Especially at 9:30pm letting the dog out for the last time this evening.  She went out, did the business, and came inside even as starting to lift paws due to cold.  It's the type of cold you die if you ended up stranded outside in.

Such a gradient between you guys and here. But that happens in radiational cooling nights too. 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Such a gradient between you guys and here. But that happens in radiational cooling nights too. 

It does for sure when these arctic air masses sink to the lowest levels under high pressure.  The cold comes out of the flats of Canada to the NW of the region... just seeps into the nooks and crannies after an initial push over the rocks.  It likes to be low level as a default.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1