• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY/... As of 618 AM EST Friday...And just like that, multiple records have been broken this morning. The air mass is much colder and drier than any model had (sans the 10th percentile NBM) so we have been playing catchup a little bit this morning. The biggest surprising is Ellenburg in Clinton County in NY where they have maintained a 5-8 mph wind with temperatures falling to 25 below. Wind chills in this one location have fallen to 44 below zero. Given the localized nature, we have decided to keep the wind advisory out with no upgrade to a warning. Overall, these are the coldest ambient temperatures for many locations dating back to January of 2018 when a similar arctic outbreak occurred across the North Country. Here is a list of broken/tied temperature records as of 6 AM.

Location New Record Old Record -----------------------------------------------------
Saranac Lake -30 -27 (2005)

Massena -29 -27 (2005)

Plattsburgh -19 -16 (1984)

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Maybe, but it’s been cold.  BTV doesn’t see fake cold and they are progged to see sun-zero temps like 2003-2004 this month when all is said and done.  The next 10 days look cold.

January of yore?

734158D7-979B-404A-BF23-74796C6A583A.jpeg.2fbc9c05324b7774a652fa189671aee7.jpeg

This is truly wonderful when coupled with one of my least snowiest seasons on record.

• Haha 5

2 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

Disgusting overnight runs. Shocked at how bad the 2ndbhalf of the month has been w/r/t snowfall.

The brutal cold on top of it....if I could sign now and end the season, I think I would....I was still excited about winter through December, but these useless three weeks of January have broken me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH SATURDAY/... As of 618 AM EST Friday...And just like that, multiple records have been broken this morning. The air mass is much colder and drier than any model had (sans the 10th percentile NBM) so we have been playing catchup a little bit this morning. The biggest surprising is Ellenburg in Clinton County in NY where they have maintained a 5-8 mph wind with temperatures falling to 25 below. Wind chills in this one location have fallen to 44 below zero. Given the localized nature, we have decided to keep the wind advisory out with no upgrade to a warning. Overall, these are the coldest ambient temperatures for many locations dating back to January of 2018 when a similar arctic outbreak occurred across the North Country. Here is a list of broken/tied temperature records as of 6 AM.

Location New Record Old Record -----------------------------------------------------
Saranac Lake -30 -27 (2005)

Massena -29 -27 (2005)

Plattsburgh -19 -16 (1984)

Yeah good stuff. I’m kidding obviously. Some of these airmasses have the cold banked up against the north and NW slopes of the mountains. Not sure if you’ve ever noticed that, but quite obviously at 925 on the progs. 

But looked like Mreaves said MPV wasn’t too far BN? It’s only a little BN here. 

2 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

The cold has definitely helped the winter feel.  Snow cover, parking lot snow banks and sustained cold makes you forget the snow deficit when out in everyday life.  Seems like more of a winter feel this year, despite the crap snow numbers. 

Tough to forget the snow deficit when you have barren, cracked earth beneath you. ...now with OES added to the mix, every other direction has snow pack, anywhere you travel.

1 minute ago, EastonSN+ said:

That look is confusing to me. The blues are west BUT the SER is way south of us. Is that showing a large model spread or just a transition to a western trough.

Its an overrunning look....you won't get a KU in that pattern, but there is a cold source lurking nearby.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1