• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

Low probability, but there is a non-zero chance for 'positive return' scenario early/mid next week ... monitoring interesting stream interaction 120 to 156 hours  (  from ~ 06z start point for the purpose of this missive, but others may also have noticed this going back a couple few cycles) .

Am aware we've been discussing the 22nd and 24th. This is relatable to the same 'synoptic superstructure' of concerns, but is a shift of interest to very late on the 24th through the 26th.

Longer concept rendition:  Part of the problem with the 22nd and the 24th they were too vague as focus times in a generally. They were chosen because there were  at least 'soft' impressions nested in a general favorable flex in the +PNAP.  I annotated how/why ...now scrolled between too many pages to bother dredging it back up, but note the 00z to 96z delta(hgt) overlapping the WC and B.C. of Canada,

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gefs&p=500h_anom&rh=2022011900&fh=0&r=nh&dpdt=&mc=

-->

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gefs&p=500h_anom&rh=2022011900&fh=96&r=nh&dpdt=&mc=

- also the case in the GEFS and GEPS, en masse consistently for days. 

Typically downstream of that kind of modulation, ( and the weight of the ens means/cross g support notwithstanding!) interesting goodies will evolve. It supplies a "correction vector" to the field pointed toward deeper trough materialization as to where the models are likely to correct toward - hence the terminology.  Look for more amplitude to emerge in future guidance ... with no guarantees that will actually happen. Heh, we used to say, "It's not that my forecast was wrong; it's because the atmosphere didn't cooperate" LOL

That was true for the 22nd and 24th .. I feel the simultaneous correction of the models to speed the flow, a leitmotif (recurring theme) where they correct the flow faster moving ext to mid range, intervened on intents and purposes so to sepak - ..don't wanna get into it, but they all do this and have been for years now.  It I suspect it partially reared its ugly disruption, where the models have to deconstruct their own wave mechanics in time, introducing more and more negative interference as an increasing offset moving D9's to D5s.  It could very well be why this phenomenon of huge systems tending to pedestrian as they get nearer..etc.  It doesn't mean things can't be modeled and holed to happen. It doesn't always happen where the models do that. Also, if a given S/W are more amplified, they offset and still torque the flow more.  Trade slow moving, very deep results, for shallower ( still potent) faster moving results.  This idea below could be that as these two may significantly ( positively ) offset. This is the 06z oper. GFS, as it sets up a 132 hr vision.

image.png.7af68eb1b075db747d4ee489db543cfc.png

• Like 2

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Midnight high of 23F.  Dropped to -1F earlier this evening.  CAA all day long.  Slow, steady drop.

This month has already had 7 daily highs at my 9 PM obs time and an 8th an hour later.  Twice the 9 PM reading was the max for both the ending and beginning day and a 3rd time the consecutive-day highs were at 9 and 10.  Afternoon highs on those 8 days ranged from 2 to 11 degrees colder than the recorded highs. It's currently 4°, up from a wee hours low of -7, and there's a non-zero chance today's high will be at 9 PM.  Snow has increased from count-the-flakes to legitimate S-, my 19th event with measurable snow and maybe it will bring the total to over 23".

On average, 88% of our average snowfall (89") comes Dec-Mar, our "snow months".  The most recent snow month with AN snow was Feb 2019 - ten straight with BN snow, and we'll need another 10-11" this month to avoid making it 11.
Edit:  Or 12, given the 2 above posts.

21 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Looks like the pattern turns bad as we head into February 

I'm all for that, at this point TBH. Gladly reshuffle milder....nothing redeeming about this to me. I'll take a mild few weeks, and hopefully gear up for a big finale in early March...if not, the end will at least be in sight. I've started draft prep this week...earliest ever.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Low probability, but there is a non-zero chance for 'positive return' scenario early/mid next week ... monitoring interesting stream interaction 120 to 156 hours  (  from ~ 06z start point for the purpose of this missive, but others may also have noticed this going back a couple few cycles) .

Am aware we've been discussing the 22nd and 24th. This is relatable to the same 'synoptic superstructure' of concerns, but is a shift of interest to very late on the 24th through the 26th.

Longer concept rendition:  Part of the problem with the 22nd and the 24th they were too vague as focus times in a generally. They were chosen because there were  at least 'soft' impressions nested in a general favorable flex in the +PNAP.  I annotated how/why ...now scrolled between too many pages to bother dredging it back up, but note the 00z to 96z delta(hgt) overlapping the WC and B.C. of Canada,

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gefs&p=500h_anom&rh=2022011900&fh=0&r=nh&dpdt=&mc=

-->

https://www.pivotalweather.com/model.php?m=gefs&p=500h_anom&rh=2022011900&fh=96&r=nh&dpdt=&mc=

- also the case in the GEFS and GEPS, en masse consistently for days. 

Typically downstream of that kind of modulation, ( and the weight of the ens means/cross g support notwithstanding!) interesting goodies will evolve. It supplies a "correction vector" to the field pointed toward deeper trough materialization as to where the models are likely to correct toward - hence the terminology.  Look for more amplitude to emerge in future guidance ... with no guarantees that will actually happen. Heh, we used to say, "It's not that my forecast was wrong; it's because the atmosphere didn't cooperate" LOL

That was true for the 22nd and 24th .. I feel the simultaneous correction of the models to speed the flow, a leitmotif (recurring theme) where they correct the flow faster moving ext to mid range, intervened on intents and purposes so to sepak - ..don't wanna get into it, but they all do this and have been for years now.  It I suspect it partially reared its ugly disruption, where the models have to deconstruct their own wave mechanics in time, introducing more and more negative interference as an increasing offset moving D9's to D5s.  It could very well be why this phenomenon of huge systems tending to pedestrian as they get nearer..etc.  It doesn't mean things can't be modeled and holed to happen. It doesn't always happen where the models do that. Also, if a given S/W are more amplified, they offset and still torque the flow more.  Trade slow moving, very deep results, for shallower ( still potent) faster moving results.  This idea below could be that as these two may significantly ( positively ) offset. This is the 06z oper. GFS, as it sets up a 132 hr vision.

image.png.7af68eb1b075db747d4ee489db543cfc.png

Be nice to see this get more organized.  That 6z GFS was looking more fun.  Seems like a thread the needle situation with the two pieces of energy phasing. 

• Like 1