Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

11 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Been on that since October. Between now and about Feb 14. Between Jan 21 and Feb 14 was my exact timetable.

Then you'll probably do well there... if this (presentation) isn't a lark.   I've seen this happen before where the American cluster starts 'flashing' in warm intervals above the 50 hPa sigma level ( ..where they first materialize when real..), only to have them just not take place. 

...plus, if it is an SSW that is going to be real and meaningful to present context, it ill will need to actually be a down-welling event, which cannot be ascertained at this very early detection... But Twitter personalities will certainly use it to poke their hornet nest constituency before making that determination, no doubt!  ugh

But, the 5 and 10 hPa sigma absolutely explode with very high standard deviation warm intrusion, over at the strat-trop monitoring division of CPC.

( https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/stratosphere/strat_a_f/ )   ...I like to use temperature detection as a first look..  But, that's clearly an intrusion event ( antecedent larger scaled planetary wave decay delivering thermal payload ..). The quickness in emergence, and the geometric morphology immediately ensuing, evinces that...  And, although there was some excited solar activity since autumn, ...the longer term budget is still very much in a deep minimum, so ozone populations is probably high (enough).  Well hell...okay, just looked and it does appear there are modest positive anomalies trapped within the mean PV aoa 100 hPa (ppm).  ... one can see those at the same source ... 

Anyway, the QBO was entering a favorable late summer --> autumn negative phase, which is somewhat correlative with these warming stratosphere events, so... obviously you must be aware of that.. heh.   We'll see.  It fits.

• Like 4

I would thread for that Jan 21 thru 25th period, buuuut ... 

There are problems that I do not feel brave enough to go ahead with a thread, until I see another couple of cycles ( minimum..) to hopefully offer clarity. I suppose if the title of said thread is, "Watching the 20th - 25th, heightened potential for eastern U.S. " ...and then onward, it only discusses the frame-up from that black-box perspective, okay.  

We've been onto the 20-25th interval for days, yup.  So some operational versions decided to go ahead last night, and formally turn on the d-drip within that time frame.

For the record, the GGEM has been toying with this for several cycles, actually.  Now with the Euro joining ( ...0z EPS trend notwithstanding um... 972 mb integrating polar-arctic air mass in CCB is almost scary ha!) they focus on the 22nd. 

Firstly, the previous GGEM was focusing the 23/24th, and is now 22/23...  Meanwhile, the Euro is 23rd, by virtue of the fact that it's racing a cyclone past again; so if there is a windy white Euro dawn on the 23rd, the sun set may be visible that afternoon.  Said previous 23-24th GGEM solutions were slower moving system characters, that appeared more keyed into a pattern morphology/H.A., implicating a longer duration event. But now this move toward a more 22/23rd Euro event is technically a continuity break.  What's to be expected at D7+

Meanwhile, the GFS has neither the 22nd ...nor the 24th.  It has vestiges of both, but neither has enough might to overcome the other, so yet again ...mm hm, negative interference is present in the 00z.  The 06z has attempted to correct for the latter 24th event.   The individual 00z GEF members are about split in which dates to emphasize.  

Putting all this together ... it seems we are about 50/50 by concept and synoptic recognition/ correction vectoring toward either the 22nd, or 24th... or .. if we want to be fair... it's more like 40/40/20, with the 20 being negative interference limiting.

The numerical equivalent of the PNA shows a non-modulating positive regime through D10... I find that interesting, because every model and ens mean there is has a steep NW flow entering the NP leading the time span in question, which then looks to get a goose from some additional western ridge amplitude around D8... I'd like to see a 'hill' in the curve out there. Yesterday, there was...

• Like 3