Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

They measured it in friggin Iceland.   That’s nuts

You see the satellite view? You can see the massive shock wave - it visibly almost gets to New Zealand. The power required for that is insane. I think I saw a VEI of 4 but I wouldn’t be surprised if they move that up.

• Like 3

Just now, DavisStraight said:

I don't radiate well at all, Im at 5, be surprised if I go below zero. Coldest ever where I live was -16 a few years ago when everyone was double digits below zero.

Yeah we’re getting into the return flow now…gonna be tough to bottom out unless you’re in a sheltered valley. Maybe we can lighten up the wind a little before sunrise.

1 minute ago, leo2000 said:

Any Mets on here thinking this big Volcano Eruption could cause a flip in the ENSO from La Nina to El Nino?. Apparently, volcanic eruptions I have heard do help cool the Earth's Climate. 

I was already convinced that we would go into el nino. Volcanic eruptions can also cool the polar strat...at least initially, so it's not that simple. Pinatubo in 1991 had that effect IMO.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I was already convinced that we would go into el nino. Volcanic eruptions can also cool the polar strat...at least initially, so it's not that simple. Pinatubo in 1991 had that effect IMO.

Yeah, about 9 months of +AO resulted from that. IIRC, Then it flipped suddenly in March of 1992. BOS actually got more snow that season AFTER the vernal equinox than before. Then we hit the bonanza winters of 92-93, 93-94 and 95-96. 

two things, though: Pinatubo was a much larger eruption than this one in terms of plume altitude and volume ejected (unless we get subsequent eruptions) and I’m not sure if even a larger eruption would be enough to flip the ENSO state.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

Any Mets on here thinking this big Volcano Eruption could cause a flip in the ENSO from La Nina to El Nino?. Apparently, volcanic eruptions I have heard do help cool the Earth's Climate. 

It is my understanding that when there is a very large eruption ( like that of My Pinatubo in 91 ), that it would take several months before we see any of the effects of it in the atmosphere in relation to Cooling and weather around the world?

9 minutes ago, MJOatleast7 said:

Yeah, about 9 months of +AO resulted from that. IIRC, Then it flipped suddenly in March of 1992. BOS actually got more snow that season AFTER the vernal equinox than before. Then we hit the bonanza winters of 92-93, 93-94 and 95-96. 

two things, though: Pinatubo was a much larger eruption than this one in terms of plume altitude and volume ejected (unless we get subsequent eruptions) and I’m not sure if even a larger eruption would be enough to flip the ENSO state.

Yea, its immaterial to me...I still think next season is el nino. I agree about the reversal in 1992, as well. Yup.