Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

14 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

More like the 80s winters are back.  This is just like a lot of that garbage that I saw back then. I think a lot of the youngsters here just aren't old enough to remember...or were even born 

I grew up in the 70s and 80s, but in the Albany area.  winters there were ok.  Sometimes I have those conversations with people where I say, "I remember when the snow was always on the ground and the ponds were frozen by Thanksgiving, Yada, Yada, yada" It is probably just that nostalgic way of thinking though. People seem to remember the best parts of childhood when it comes to stuff like this.  Even if it was a s.hit bunch of winters, the glory storms stick out, and stick out in a way that it seemed like every winter was glorious, even though it wasnt.

1 minute ago, Cold Miser said:

I grew up in the 70s and 80s, but in the Albany area.  winters there were ok.  Sometimes I have those conversations with people where I say, "I remember when the snow was always on the ground and the ponds were frozen by Thanksgiving, Yada, Yada, yada" It is probably just that nostalgic way of thinking though. People seem to remember the best parts of childhood when it comes to stuff like this.  Even if it was a s.hit bunch of winters, the glory storms stick out, and stick out in a way that it seemed like every winter was glorious, even though it wasnt.

Well I grew up in the 60's and there were some good years, 70's ok, 80's sucked, this year reminds me of an 80's year, bitter cold outbreak, then snow to rain. Seemed like most of the 80's were like that. The streak was broken in 92-93 and 93-94 winters.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Or remembering snow banks over their heads when they were young. Of course they were, they were only 3 feet tall when they were 8!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

42 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

True. I think the average person seems to remember wall to wall snows of yore, and the weather enthusiast will remember the rafters. I started following the weather in 1978 so pretty much seen it all!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, UnitedWx said:

True. I think the average person seems to remember wall to wall snows of yore, and the weather enthusiast will remember the rafters. I started following the weather in 1978 so pretty much seen it all!

That’s why having empirical data archived is really nice. You can debunk any false stories of “winters of yore” pretty easily if they don’t pass the smell test. We just check the data and see what they were like. 

• Like 4

Has Hazey checked in this morning? he had a blizzard going last night and it looked like it would last awhile.

Finished up with 7-8”(approx). Hard to tell with so much drifting. Winds were the big deal with this. Several hours of sustained 30mph with gusts to 60mph made it all look and feel much worse. A true nor’easter.

#NovaScotiaStrong
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Do we have a VE rating yet?  Apparently it is an underwater volcano.  I am not well versed in this, but is it ash and sulfur in the strat that can have climatological effects?

Ash and SO2 eventually have a net cooling effect, but it’s a tropical volcano, which tends to give us 9-12 months of +NAO at the beginning. Also don’t know how much particulates have been ejected. Will also depend on any future eruptions, obviously.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UnitedWx said:

More like the 80s winters are back.  This is just like a lot of that garbage that I saw back then. I think a lot of the youngsters here just aren't old enough to remember...or were even born 

I grew up on the southernmost end of the "Foster Glocester No School" zone of northern RI and even there the 80s were like this. So many nights I'd go to bed with expectations of a 3-6 storm and no school, only to wake up with literally nothing on the ground. Yes it was a different time back then in terms of school closures, and yes there were a couple of times when we'd get something and my Mom would refuse to drive me to school (we had a 20 minute drive into Providence), but make no mistake -- I had literally 0 snow days from 7th grade until I graduated high school (87-93) in Providence. Not a single one. As soon as I left the pattern changed the following winter!

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

We are having a bad blizzard here. The snow was incredible this morning couldn't get the doors open. Environment Canada put us in a Winter Storm Warning but honestly should of put us in a Blizzard Warning. We had very little rain and ice. Shades of one of the bad blizzards that hit my area in 2015. 

How much do you have so far?