Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I like the 7am to 7pm stuff

We were OTing about mindfulness stuff last weekend, and that is one of my things...I'll get 16 buns for this, but I keep a calendar every year that I use as a weather journal...kind of forces you to stop and just observe the sky for a few moments each day..to get in idea of how cloudy it was etc...high, low temps.....

I did it when I was a kid, stopped for awhile when I was a teen and young adult, but picked back up several years ago once I got my life in order.

• Like 6
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We were OTing about mindfulness stuff last weekend, and that is one of my things...I'll get 16 buns for this, but I keep a calendar every year that I use as a weather journal...kind of forces you to stop and just observe the sky for a few moments each day..to get in idea of how cloudy it was etc...high, low temps.....

No buns from me for anything related to mindfulness. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

TBH, that is how I record highs, even though I know its technically incorrect meteorologically speaking. I just don't care if it was warmer at midnight. Lows are at night, and highs are during the day.

Speaking of night......the added 20 minutes to sunset is a bittersweet observation.   Soon Tip will be posting about his warm car.  On the other hand, it's no longer completely dark when I take the dog for her 5:00pm walk (close to it still, but clearly not).

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Yea, I'm not expecting a huge deal, but notable.

Seems very unlike you to follow thus system ...

one thing that separates the 6z gf’s from the nam and keeps it closer is the high position on guidance . Gf’s has high North or Lake Superior which looks to give it more Room while Nam has the high centered 200 miles East (along with storm placement out to sea)

either way I see it more likely to move west enough to screw Monday than it is to move west enough to do anything for us . Those eps positions are misleading and don’t represent some tight LLC and CCB, Most action seems East even on the west solutions 

• Confused 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I did it when I was a kid, stopped for awhile when I was a teen and young adult, but picked back up several years ago once I got my life in order.

When I was in high school I used to watch TWC every evening and write down the local obs in a notebook hourly along with my own obs. I think there was a part of me that thought if I didn’t write them down they’d be lost from me forever. Of course a couple years later and I’m up at LSC and getting all of the archived METARs. lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

When I was in high school I used to watch TWC every evening and weite down the local obs in a notebook hourly along with my own obs. I think there was a part of me that thought if I didn’t write them down they’d be lost from me forever. Of course a couple years later and I’m up at LSC and getting all of the archived METARs. lol

I lost some seasons, but I still have my 1995-1996 record season calendar from freshman year...funny looking back at that once in a lifetime (12" more than 2015 IMBY) season captured on a wall calendar...complete with sky conditions, snowfall amounts and hi/lo temps....I even documented when school was delayed or cancelled. I have Leon, too I think...7th grade.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Seems very unlike you to follow thus system ...

one thing that separates the 6z gf’s from the nam and keeps it closer is the high position on guidance . Gf’s has high North or Lake Superior which looks to give it more Room while Nam has the high centered 200 miles East (along with storm placement out to sea)

either way I see it more likely to move west enough to screw Monday than it is to move west enough to do anything for us . Those eps positions are misleading and don’t represent some tight LLC and CCB, Most action seems East even on the west solutions 

It is, but retrograde storms interest me somewhat. Good point regarding the LP positions being misleading by you and Steve...hadn't realized.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I lost some seasons, but I still have my 1995-1996 record season calendar from freshman year...funny looking back at that once in a lifetime season captured on a wall calendar...complete with sky conditions, snowfall amounts and hi/lo temps....I even documented when school was delayed or cancelled. I have Leon, too I think...7th grade.

Yup that was my stretch as well. I think I started fall of 93 up until 96 when I went off for college. Caught a lot of good events and cold shots during that stretch. 

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yup that was my stretch as well. I think I started fall of 93 up until 96 when I went off for college. Caught a lot of good events and cold shots during that stretch. 

If I can find them, I should take pics of my observations of the Blizzards of 78 and 79 in Delaware.  I took all sorts of notes, wrote out the forecast...like a good little weenie.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Well I don’t want snow showers for a few weenies on Friday to ruin a regionwide hit for Monday, if that correlation makes sense at all. Just get it out of the way to let Monday amplify.

Its seems like that follow up wave is getting delayed a bit, at least according to others, which would reduce the likelihood of wave spacing issues.

I haven't checked to confirm myself.