Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Wow . This is prime example why powder snow sucks . Sure it piles up fast , but it melts and compacts faster than a Colts team in Jacksonville . No one likes powder. Not even SpinJ

Or the Pats in Miami. 

(Yes I know the Pats are in the playoffs and Fins aren’t. I just have nothing else NFL to trash talk about. :()

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Finally around 7pm we got up to 32F.  Now 33.4F.   Quick mix out that hopefully be enough to melt all the black ice around.  

I read today while looking it up that with basic salt you gotta get it on there while it’s still slushy or snow otherwise it requires sunlight to make the salt work.

But I’m supposing that the more advanced stuff is more efficient. Still, I have poured table salt on pure ice, in the night, and heard it crackle as it melted. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Good thing he spelled his name wrong or he would have received quite a lecture.

Lol. I didn’t even notice that. 

34 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

Go Dolphins! Dare I say another Phins fan around here?

Yes been one all my life. They are worse than bad, they are mediocre and boring. You can be an awful team but still be interesting.  Also, Tua will never be a star QB. 

fropa at my door, can feel it, winds shifted to the west and are increasing, artic blast incoming, managed to keep the ground covered here, despite only having about 3 when the day started, not it'll cement in... so looks like I'll be gone for the best stretch of the winter, will be living vicariously through the forum though..

1 hour ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I read today while looking it up that with basic salt you gotta get it on there while it’s still slushy or snow otherwise it requires sunlight to make the salt work.

But I’m supposing that the more advanced stuff is more efficient. Still, I have poured table salt on pure ice, in the night, and heard it crackle as it melted. 

Salt does not require sunlight to work.  The warmer it is, the better it works due to the thermodynamic equilibrium of the ice.

All de-icing chemicals need to be dissolved in water to work.

12 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Salt does not require sunlight to work.  The warmer it is, the better it works due to the thermodynamic equilibrium of the ice.

All de-icing chemicals need to be dissolved in water to work.

“Need to be dissolved in water” that’s what I read, but I never see that happening. I see people sprinkling rock salt on their walkways and that’s what I did. And again with my experience sprinkling salt I see it take effect albeit slowly. Meh. I’ve never seen someone mix it with water and then splash it down. Please forgive me but once again I’m confused about this advice. 

again, what you said is consistent with what I have also read online today but it’s not the directions on the product I bought, nor my recollections.

2 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

“Need to be dissolved in water” that’s what I read, but I never see that happening. I see people sprinkling rock salt on their walkways and that’s what I did. And again with my experience sprinkling salt I see it take effect albeit slowly. Meh. I’ve never seen someone mix it with water and then splash it down. Please forgive me but once again I’m confused about this advice. 

again, what you said is consistent with what I have also read online today but it’s not the directions on the product I bought, nor my recollections.

He means salt needs to be in contact with water,  which it generally is when in contact with ice.  Obviously in very cold dry conditions it is much less effective. 

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

He means salt needs to be in contact with water,  which it generally is when in contact with ice.  Obviously in very cold dry conditions it is much less effective. 

That’s why I applied it earlier this evening while it’s still above freezing and the ground is mostly slush already or mildly compacted glaciated snow.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Even though ice is below 32 degrees, on a molecular level there is a small amount of liquid water on ice on the surface of the ice.  The colder it is, the less liquid water there is.  De-icing chemicals are hydrophilic meaning they attract water.  

The attraction of water starts the production of a brine that will really cause the ice to go away.  The dissolution of rock salt in water will actually cause the temperature of the area around the salt to go down.

Here is a link to a video that has a good explanation of how salt works.

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/newsreleases/2015/january/how-does-salt-melt-ice-video.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Even though ice is below 32 degrees, on a molecular level there is a small amount of liquid water on ice on the surface of the ice.  The colder it is, the less liquid water there is.  De-icing chemicals are hydrophilic meaning they attract water.  

The attraction of water starts the production of a brine that will really cause the ice to go away.  The dissolution of rock salt in water will actually cause the temperature of the area around the salt to go down.

Here is a link to a video that has a good explanation of how salt works.

https://www.acs.org/content/acs/en/pressroom/newsreleases/2015/january/how-does-salt-melt-ice-video.html

Ski competitions also use salt to melt soft snow so it freezes more easily when temperatures drop. Sochi almost didn't have enough of the right kinds of salt.

The Canadian has a Miller B on Sunday, I still think that’s the bigger threat but I’m starting to be more optimistic about the Friday one as well. The Navy is pretty far NW with that one, and that is a huge red flag because the Navy is known for having a SE bias. Id like to see the Euro and Canadian get on board for that as well before I go all in, but it’s worth keeping an eye on. 

• Weenie 2