Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

6 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Lol at infighting over anything a week out. Ray needs Bergs edibles. Lol 

Long week of tracking while the deck pops from cold expansion.  Minus 30 departure incoming 

Hi Lars

That was my whole point, I wasn't fighting over the solution. Lol He took what I said the wrong way and I should have let it go, but was tired and chose not.

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, George001 said:

an interesting thing I noticed was the catalyst for this upcoming pattern appears to be a really good pacific and occasional blocking but nothing crazy. The NAO may actually average slightly positive for the month, unlike say a 2009-2010 pattern. With how good the pacific looks to be I’m thinking this could actually be good, in that it prevents suppression, leading to a pattern that is better for us than the mid Atlantic like 2014-2015. 

A variable NAO with a favorable Pacific is a recipe for higher end events.  December had a horrendous Pacific with a stagnant NAO. It probably would have worked out for moderate events if the Pacific wasn't historically bad, but it was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

There is a huge problem with salt contamination of ground water and drinking wells.  This is a growing problem with no easy solution.

Sand does very little (especially without salt added to it) as traffic will kick it out of the wheel paths very quickly.  Research has shown that after 30-40 vehicles going over sand going at 35-40 mph will kick the sand out of the wheel paths.  Then in the spring there are 100's of thousands of tons of sand that have swept up and properly disposed.

I read an article last year about how bad road salt contamination is becoming. New Hampshire was mentioned as having some of the worst chloride contamination in the country and I remember reading the NH dot had to implement a reduced salt plan it was getting so bad. They tested lakes and wetlands and some of the increases in chloride contamination were through the roof and don't meet drinkng water standards. They specifically mentioned some area around 93 and some areas in NY in the Adirondacks had like 4 times the normal chloride levels. 

All that salt doesn't go away and just accumulates in the environment so once levels are up its not easy to bring them down.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I read an article last year about how bad road salt contamination is becoming. New Hampshire was mentioned as having some of the worst chloride contamination in the country and I remember reading the NH dot had to implement a reduced salt plan it was getting so bad. They tested lakes and wetlands and some of the increases in chloride contamination were through the roof and don't meet drinkng water standards. They specifically mentioned some area around 93 and some areas in NY in the Adirondacks had like 4 times the normal chloride levels. 

All that salt doesn't go away and just accumulates in the environment so once levels are up its not easy to bring them down.

Remember, sand was bad which is why towns went to salt

My pack is getting pretty ripe/dense. No longer a fake effect fluffer pack. Around 5-6” but it’s gonna be a glacier by tomorrow morning. 

It’ll make a good bottom base layer on our march to 3+ feet OTG by early February. 

• Like 5
  • Weenie 4

2 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

12z Euro trending heavily in favor of 120 hours at 500 mb;  doesn't result, but the trend is real...

What a mess that mid /ext range is -

Yeah this is a lot of shortwaves in the flow. I feel like the event afterward has more support but can’t ignore the Thursday night/Friday deal just yet. 

• Like 2

Still looking like a middling signal what was D9 yesterday ( now 8 ...) is probably the realistic event/early awareness. 

There is an ominous signal in the deeper range.  In fact, there as many or more GEF individual members with large, deep solutions along the ES than there are carrying for the D8 system...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this is a lot of shortwaves in the flow. I feel like the event afterward has more support but can’t ignore the Thursday night/Friday deal just yet. 

Exactly my sentiments... 

I've been monitoring the D8 ( was D9-11 in posts two days ago ).  It's the more coherent of the two, among both major ens means.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro is definitely cooking up something big at 156 here. 

still looking at Thur Friday morning for onset for this one possibly? I'm leaving early Fri morning for GA, that would make for an interesting drive... know it's a ways out, but it originally was going to be a weekend event