Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

6 minutes ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Now that I have moved back to NW CT after spending 20+ years in Ellington, I can appreciate what you are saying with the benefits of coastal storms by being 35-40 miles east.  Growing up here in NW CT, we seemed to have more storms where p-type issues in SE CT was more common and those were the ones were we would clean up in NW CT.  My appreciation for the small weather variations in a small state has grown over the years having grown up in the snow capital of CT, then living on the eastern edge of death valley and then moving back to the hills.

Overall your area is great for snow . But coastals such as yesterday can really screw NW CT . When there’s an AEMATT storm anyone that doesn’t live in Boston cringes to see them Pat each other on the back . But for this area .. even when those storms happen , I usually will get in on the action here 

7 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

I don't think I can remember a single big Upstate NY that wasn't LES or w/ LES help.  Cities up there don't have much orography and they're too far from the Atlantic for significant ocean effect.

They get some monsters from time to time though in the central NY zone.  West of ALB and north of BGM have had numerous 36”+ events past 15 years.

2/14/07

E5943244-4671-45D9-BB5C-4FFC34429C6D.jpeg.89f3e4f6d180180ddc3583a8dbad6304.jpeg

3/14/17

DA6784C2-CD73-4927-A2E9-0A33EF80110E.thumb.png.7c9c9a48d3738a8843f314a1b50ec207.png

12/17/20

E35DA5B2-9760-4AF9-9C15-50D4FFB4DDD2.jpeg.fb227120e95ade58ee7639a48b6a72f3.jpeg

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just had a crisis.  Next door neighbors dog blew out his hip or back leg. She just had a baby, nephew passed away so hubby was at wake. She was in total panic. Was able to get dog stabilized and in the house 103 lb lab. Her Mom came brought him to emergency vet.. Geez I felt bad for her. 

Epic happy hour run I see lol

ACL/MCL maybe?  Labs (especially big ones) are prone to that 

40 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I love this area for two reasons .. decent elevation relatively speaking and interior enough and far enough east to catch 95% of the coastals .. as opposed to similar elevations in NW CT who miss out on many coastal events. What I don’t like is no CAD . So if any semblance of a cutter happens , this area is toast . 55 miles to the ocean being the highest elevation with a S or SE wind means no buffer to hold the warmth off 

Same here

58 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Just had a crisis.  Next door neighbors dog blew out his hip or back leg. She just had a baby, nephew passed away so hubby was at wake. She was in total panic. Was able to get dog stabilized and in the house 103 lb lab. Her Mom came brought him to emergency vet.. Geez I felt bad for her. 

Epic happy hour run I see lol

If they can afford it, ACL surgery on dogs is highly successful.  We had our dog’s acl done when she was 11 two years ago.  Definitely extended her life-now if she makes it will turn 14 in June.   103 lbs is probably too much.  Our dog was in the 90s.  Now maintained at 65 lbs and much more mobile.  I was against the surgery but given the result really happy we had it done.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

ACL/MCL maybe?  Labs (especially big ones) are prone to that 

I have to bring my dog to the vet,  She twisted her leg running and has been limping. may be an ACL/MCL I thought she was ok after it happened but has a limp. She was on her back howling but then got right back up like nothing,

• Sad 2

For sure we won't have to deal with the lack of antecedent cold if that Fri storm does pan out, what with temps in E Quebec -35F to -40F, and below 0 in NNE.  That's according to the GFS.  But according to the Ukie, it shows much warmer surface temps in NNE and much warmer surface and upper levels here.  

42 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I have to bring my dog to the vet,  She twisted her leg running and has been limping. may be an ACL/MCL I thought she was ok after it happened but has a limp. She was on her back howling but then got right back up like nothing,

51 minutes ago, weathafella said:

If they can afford it, ACL surgery on dogs is highly successful.  We had our dog’s acl done when she was 11 two years ago.  Definitely extended her life-now if she makes it will turn 14 in June.   103 lbs is probably too much.  Our dog was in the 90s.  Now maintained at 65 lbs and much more mobile.  I was against the surgery but given the result really happy we had it done.

They called 3 animal hospitals all maxed out. 5 hour wait at Ocean State.  I really think its a dislocated hip he has. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

They get some monsters from time to time though in the central NY zone.  West of ALB and north of BGM have had numerous 36”+ events past 15 years.

2/14/07

E5943244-4671-45D9-BB5C-4FFC34429C6D.jpeg.89f3e4f6d180180ddc3583a8dbad6304.jpeg

3/14/17

DA6784C2-CD73-4927-A2E9-0A33EF80110E.thumb.png.7c9c9a48d3738a8843f314a1b50ec207.png

12/17/20

E35DA5B2-9760-4AF9-9C15-50D4FFB4DDD2.jpeg.fb227120e95ade58ee7639a48b6a72f3.jpeg

I am sure it must have to do with having a lower population in relevant areas, but they don’t really make these storm result maps for winter storms that slam California and Nevada…. Or anywhere out west really.

Id like for them to do that…. But it probably has to do with spotter population being less dense, lots of vast empty space between towns. You can’t make a high resolution observation map with the only observers are birds and rabbits.

It couldn’t be that humans out there are less interested in significant weather, could it? 

44 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Not sure how... 10c is the next set of dotted lines to the right.  The temp scale is at the bottom...

Yeah I know….. the red line is temperature? It shows that at ~800 that the line has a peak temperature reaching around 9 degrees celcius according to that. It is even circled and is just above and adjacent to 10. I’m in no way busting any balls I’m just trying to figure this out or how I’m not interpreting this if I am wrong.

28043609-F0FA-479A-92B8-160ED2CCC695.jpeg.16a52d31315ef7c9b0c5a01d18508135.jpeg

21 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

They called 3 animal hospitals all maxed out. 5 hour wait at Ocean State.  I really think its a dislocated hip he has. 

A new vet office opened in my town, associated with second chance out of Brookfield, looks like a good place with many vets and they do all things, Im taking my pup there.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Yeah I know….. the red line is temperature? It shows that at ~800 that the line has a peak temperature reaching around 9 degrees celcius according to that. It is even circled and is just above and adjacent to 10. I’m in no way busting any balls I’m just trying to figure this out or how I’m not interpreting this if I am wrong.

28043609-F0FA-479A-92B8-160ED2CCC695.jpeg.16a52d31315ef7c9b0c5a01d18508135.jpeg

Points of equal temperature are shown with the diagonal dashed lines. So where that red temp line crosses the dashed line at about 800mb, you can move down the dashed line and see that the temp for that dashed line is 0C. Therefore temp at 800mb is ever so slightly above 0C (hence the sleet depiction)

• Like 1