Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

5 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'm gonna be interested in the EPS mean ...

This operational run has definitely taken a step toward "seeing" the potential in the flow beyond D6.  I'd be willing to hunch that that future cycles tend to sans one or two of those entities between D 7 and 10, in lieu of more focus on one.  It's generating it's own neg interference. The 500 mb evolution centered on D7.5-8 is a gem for huge problems NYC --> NE, but its paltry surface reflection.  I don't have a problem with rapidity, ... but not with such deep features.  Those aren't exactly shallow troughs.

But the prior/leading EPS means have been pretty consistent with a signal that corroborates the notion for "D9" amplitude in general.  The 12z GEFs made a subtle trend toward more depth. 

The stasis in the elevated PNA ... and now we have a -NAO ?  interesting party arrival... west based, arrival.  Don't want it statically negative, but with the PNA leading and western ridge in place ( better than recently) this starts to suggest teleconnector convergence ( disparate indicators targeting the same region ) may be evolving. 

Here you go…this should clear up any uncertainty:

EFDB079E-EB45-4116-9EB8-1D8C7303A838.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 19

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Here you go…this should clear up any uncertainty:

EFDB079E-EB45-4116-9EB8-1D8C7303A838.png

Yeah...that's definitely neg interference pattern in the resulting mean.  The individual members may or may do that - but just at a conceptual level, the 1004 mb contour/circumvallate is basically the size of a country out there... If you shrunk that to the normal scale of a cyclone you'd probably have the equiv.  ISE of a 970 mb low ha

42 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Actually, N RI was the area that had some 50"+ reports.  Also, it was a very wet snow so drifting was minimal.  I know, because we had to shovel it from the driveway without a snowblower.  Luckily it was a small driveway.

Back then Rhode Island gave snow removal money based on how much snow you had so it was not unusual to exaggerate the amount, that said you guys had a shatload.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Grandkids had 2 storms this week in SNJ, each a bit bigger than any I've seen this season.  That's OK as they love snow; were out in it every day but the rainy 12/22 during their visit here.

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

Back then Rhode Island gave snow removal money based on how much snow you had so it was not unusual to exaggerate the amount, that said you guys had a shatload.

Here's a quote from the New England Historical Society:  "Parts of Boston’s South Shore and Woonsocket, R.I., got hit with the most: 54 inches."

Not official, but just saying...  People who were there at the time and dealing with it would have first-hand knowledge.

4 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

Here's a quote from the New England Historical Society:  "Parts of Boston’s South Shore and Woonsocket, R.I., got hit with the most: 54 inches."

Not official, but just saying...  People who were there at the time and dealing with it would have first-hand knowledge.

I could def buy 40+”.  Maybe 48” based on my experience in Foxboro at the time. Hard to know for certain due to the insane winds

12 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I could def buy 40+”.  Maybe 48” based on my experience in Foxboro at the time. Hard to know for certain due to the insane winds

As I said earlier, despite the winds, the drifting was kept to a minimum because of the wet snow.  If you look at the many pictures of the day, you don't see large drifts, at least in those areas S of Boston.  This was not a fluffy snow.  Where I was, open areas were definitely over 40" with maybe up to 5' drifts near buildings on the windward side.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’d probably pay up myself to experience a retro stalled out 30+ event too. My biggest of all time is Jan96 with 26”. 

Dryslot is contemplating offering up one of his grown children for a redux of that map Tip posted. He might even throw in a grand kid. 

Funny thing is maybe 2 weeks earlier was the “Lindsay Storm” (2/9/69).  I went home for the weekend as I had an interview as part of my application to school in Boston on Saturday in jersey city.   Forecasts were 3-5 with a changeover.   Got close to 2 feet at my house.   During the 100 hour storm I was back at school and had by then decided to come to Boston.  That February more than any other factor influenced my decision.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Do yourselves a favor and check out Euro Control run today, 3 monster blizzards, day 8, day 11, day 14..  One for everyone, some get all 3.. 

heh... yeah.  I think we end up favoring one or two, but not all three.   Which is obvious to say of course.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know what you need as the perfect revenge elixir ?

A 1969 stalled out, cyclic snow band backing redux.  Only have less S of Boston to really grind it in - 

1969 storm snowfall amounts

Hey Tip where do you get historic storm maps like this?

I’ve looked all around the NCEI site and can’t find it. TIA

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

You know what you need as the perfect revenge elixir ?

A 1969 stalled out, cyclic snow band backing redux.  Only have less S of Boston to really grind it in - 

1969 storm snowfall amounts

The thing is, I doubt scooter would yell at and scold his kids with 24” if Ray got 36”. It only happens the other way around.

32 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

As I said earlier, despite the winds, the drifting was kept to a minimum because of the wet snow.  If you look at the many pictures of the day, you don't see large drifts, at least in those areas S of Boston.  This was not a fluffy snow.  Where I was, open areas were definitely over 40" with maybe up to 5' drifts near buildings on the windward side.

Our old VW microbus sitting in our driveway was completly drifted over. Def not fluffy snow but there were some big drifts against houses etc.  the winds were crazy.  Sounded like a jet roaring. 

• Like 1