Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

48 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

40 here and dry as a bone, getting downsloped hard.

Alex is 42.

I use the weatherbug app on my phone for temps. I was so confused seeing all the water drip off my roof but the weatherbug app says the temp is 16 degrees. Now it makes sense if the temp is actually  in the low 40s

• Like 1

Dusting of snow this AM here in Thornton. 22.3/17. Expecting some glaze early afternoon. Roads will probably be a mess up here, especially being a mountain community.

As for Omicron, I got it now. I came up to self isolate, but I think it's only a matter of time my wife and kids test positive (I think they tested too soon). They have symptoms and are in school/work. Unless you live in a yurt in NW Maine, you're going to get it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

I use the weatherbug app on my phone for temps. I was so confused seeing all the water drip off my roof but the weatherbug app says the temp is 16 degrees. Now it makes sense if the temp is actually  in the low 40s

Mount Washington profile says what you need to know. Freezing around here below 1500'. As I mentioned, 22.3, actually 22.5 now (1100')

• Like 1

Lol seriously?

fwHwvrJy_x96.jpg

Connecticut Department of Transportation

·
38m
Freezing rain is not like snow and ice ❄ this event was a Perfect Storm: too cold yesterday to lay down liquid pre-treatment & tooDash symbol windy ahead of the weather to pre-treat with hard salt. We're out there across #CT. When you see us, give us room to work. Warning sign https://pic.twitter.com/ymYoiWXfH3

Replying to @CTDOTOfficial

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

They probably didn't have enough people to complete pretreatment.  It's always a tough go/no go with marginal situations.  

My town truck came down our little side road at 6AM salting (it was dry at the time).  Kudos to them.  They are sometimes behind the 8 ball when it comes to these but did well this time.

I got into work before any issues but we got an announcement that roads here were a mess

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, ineedsnow said:

Lol seriously?

fwHwvrJy_x96.jpg

Connecticut Department of Transportation

·
38m
Freezing rain is not like snow and ice ❄ this event was a Perfect Storm: too cold yesterday to lay down liquid pre-treatment & tooDash symbol windy ahead of the weather to pre-treat with hard salt. We're out there across #CT. When you see us, give us room to work. Warning sign https://pic.twitter.com/ymYoiWXfH3

Replying to @CTDOTOfficial

That's a joke... and a lot of BS!!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, George001 said:

The long range looks really good, ridging out west and there are signs on some of the guidance that the north atlantic blocking comes back mid month. 

agree, around the 16th has been hinted at on the models for days. just something to watch, anyway.

• Like 2

response from CT DOT:

The DOT said Wednesday morning’s weather event was “a perfect storm.” The agency said crews could not apply liquid pre-treatment for the ice because it was too cold Tuesday night. But it was also too windy Wednesday morning for crews to try to pre-treat the roads with hard salt, the DOT said.

“It was kind of this Goldilocks zone of ineffective options to pre-treat our roadways,” said Garrett Eucalitto, a deputy commissioner at DOT.

-

the liquid part I get-it would likely freeze up the nozzles on the machines-but too windy for rock salt?   LOL

Epic ice situation here in North Madison, CT this morning!  A huge multi-car pile up on route 79 right near my street!  I was driving back from dropping my daughter off at school.....and the road back was a literal ice skating rink!!  I parked off the road in a cemetery to walk back home....since they had closed off this road. A car passed me sliding sideways down the road!  Thankfully no one was seriously injured on the pile up.  This is right near the North Madison/Durham line.  Temps were right at 30 to 31 degrees.... Roads obviously not pre-treated.

• Like 1