Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

20 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Basically … a general shit winter with an interlude or two of tacit favorability 

La Nina’s are supposed to be front loaded winters.  

Yet another ENSO climate failure … It’d be really funny if the winter is back loaded or even mid 

Winters are usually back loaded now anyways. Front loaded winters seem to be a thing of the past. 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

8 minutes ago, leo2000 said:

Winters are usually back loaded now anyways. Front loaded winters seem to be a thing of the past. 

Does seem that way. But I also wonder how common they ever really were? Tempted to say 300 yr mean is 1::4 or 5 but the last 10 yrs have blown up multiple signals regardless. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Basically … a general shit winter with an interlude or two of tacit favorability 

La Nina’s are supposed to be front loaded winters.  

Yet another ENSO climate failure … It’d be really funny if the winter is back loaded or even mid 

Actually, east based la Nina events are not front loaded. Modoki are.

• Like 1

As much as I generally dislike this kind of weather approaching peak winter climo, I'm actually a little relieved that intense cold has held off. New England is an energy crisis waiting to happen. Since we seem to have a complex about building gas pipelines directly from producing states, we have to ship all our gas via LNG carriers. There are no domestic LNG builders, so much of our gas gets shipped via international carriers from the Caribbean. The LNG facility in Everett usually receives 6-10 shipments of gas each winter to offer adequate supply for home heating and electricity, but thus far this winter they've only received one, presumably because the crisis in Europe is offering much higher prices. Add to that the shutdown of Pilgrim a few years ago and New England is one 2018 style cold snap away from having a Texas-sized blackout problem on their hands.

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Hoth said:

As much as I generally dislike this kind of weather approaching peak winter climo, I'm actually a little relieved that intense cold has held off. New England is an energy crisis waiting to happen. Since we seem to have a complex about building gas pipelines directly from producing states, we have to ship all our gas via LNG carriers. There are no domestic LNG builders, so much of our gas gets shipped via international carriers from the Caribbean. The LNG facility in Everett usually receives 6-10 shipments of gas each winter to offer adequate supply for home heating and electricity, but thus far this winter they've only received one, presumably because the crisis in Europe is offering much higher prices. Add to that the shutdown of Pilgrim a few years ago and New England is one 2018 style cold snap away from having a Texas-sized blackout problem on their hands.

Well...Neversource has warned us that this may happen. Fine with me,  it keeps calls coming in for generator installs!

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Why haven't we heard anything about this.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

What's the backlog for a generator these days? My cousin was looking to install one, but there was a solid six month wait, so he gave up.

It completely depends on size and brand. Most units I've ordered have come in within six weeks. I do have one that has been on order for two months and still waiting, however its supposed to be in soon. Probably once we actually have snow on the ground 

• Thanks 1

The pacific isn’t our only problem when it comes to the cold this season. Check out our backyard—the Gulf of Maine. Looking and feeling a lot more like Northern Ireland Climo.

A northeast fetch spells rain for a chunk of us with SST’s in the mid to upper 40’s. This going to be a tall bar to get over for the SNE folks (me included) in less-than-great setups/patterns.

46F7D36E-A398-4423-BE10-438FD32745B6.thumb.gif.769dce0c34ed41a213f964d68f11e567.gif5E849615-72FC-4EB9-9B8E-2E1D72FC7731.thumb.png.187e6b45f2606753d9a79bea68e1b4b0.png

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

The pacific isn’t our only problem when it comes to the cold this season. Check out our backyard—the Gulf of Maine. Looking and feeling a lot more like Northern Ireland Climo.

A northeast fetch spells rain for a chunk of us with SST’s in the mid to upper 40’s. This going to be a tall bar to get over for the SNE folks (me included) in less-than-great setups/patterns.

46F7D36E-A398-4423-BE10-438FD32745B6.thumb.gif.769dce0c34ed41a213f964d68f11e567.gif5E849615-72FC-4EB9-9B8E-2E1D72FC7731.thumb.png.187e6b45f2606753d9a79bea68e1b4b0.png

SSTs off the east coast are pretty meaningless, if anything prefer warmer temps for enhanced baroclinicity

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Agree

• Weenie 1

10 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

SSTs off the east coast are pretty meaningless, if anything prefer warmer temps for enhanced baroclinicity

“Meaningless”. Most live in the coastal plain. Of course this isn’t meaningless for them. Outside of the cp, I think it’s an important factor in a line —extreme southern Maine down to New London CT—ish. If there isn’t prevailing CAD/WAD we take on the in-situ airmass and that’s predominated by the GOM. This affects surface temps at the margin in many critical ways that modeling doesn’t fully capture—hence the extremely tight gradient in New England climo.

The snow capitals like Burlington and the Whites—yes I agree that this could be fantastic for the far interior.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1