Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

23 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think the record RNA played a large role, though I'm sure the HC acted as a source of constructive interference for the deconstructive interference lol

I remember you and I having this conversation last year, when this HC stuff was young.  You were asking me about the 'effects' of it during the respective ENSO climates?  

I remember speculating that it may be more of dimming factor for El Nino's. 

The reasoning was entirely intuitive, mind you.  HC and it's effect manifold is all still on the discovery table anyway. The papers/climate I've read about it seems to be open to debate...  That said, the La Nina is a stronger easterly trade scenario. And HC expansion has an easterly trade mass, regardless. ... So it it is easy to see where I'm going with that. 

El Nino on the other hand enforces a break-down in the trade momentum... etc etc --> warming waters moving E across the Basin in the generic sense.  That would be intrinsically in conflict with said HC momentum/assumption.  

( again agian again ..we are juggling 'tendencies', not absolutes - people read this stuff ( if ever lol ...), and tend to think big ). 

4 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I remember you and I having this conversation last year, when this HC stuff was young.  You were asking me about the 'effects' of it during the respective ENSO climates?  

I remember speculating that it may be more of dimming factor for El Nino's. 

The reasoning was entirely intuitive, mind you.  HC and it's effect manifold is all still on the discovery table anyway. The papers/climate I've read about it seems to be open to debate...  That said, the La Nina is a stronger easterly trade scenario. And HC expansion has an easterly trade mass, regardless. ... So it it is easy to see where I'm going with that. 

El Nino on the other hand enforces a break-down in the trade momentum... etc etc --> warming waters moving E across the Basin in the generic sense.  That would be intrinsically in conflict with said HC momentum/assumption.  

( again agian again ..we are juggling 'tendencies', not absolutes - people read this stuff ( if ever lol ...), and tend to think big ). 

Well, certainly ENSO events have always been more and less coupled with the atmosphere, which the MEI attempts to quantify. It was always apparent that this particular cool ENSO event was very well coupled, as opposed to least year's event. I buy into what you are saying to a degree, but you do seem to kind of find a way to attribute everything to the HC. For instance, last year the la nina didn't act like a la nina because the HC nullifies ENSO...but this year, its constructively interfering with ENSO. Just seems a bit nebulous and perhaps overstated to me.

Not trying to be a dick...I get that this is a novel concept.

2 hours ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We have just sort of stagnated in this compression induced meteorological purgatory of sort....once something, anything starts to change, that should "stir the pot", so to speak.

Really ... this is entirely the whole package of cause-and-effect circuitry of the Archembault paper.   Yup.

Status quo means balance, thus rest.  Something imposes change to a system, the balance is off ... in order to get back to balance = storm.

That's it ...  That is why all modes --> modality, regardless of whether it involves NAO this ... PNA that... WPO this ... EPO that....  If these are in stasis, and something disrupts the status quo ... = storm.

I'm just entering that the H.A. stuff is applicable to all of nature, really ..certainly to the nature of weather restoring.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Well, certainly ENSO events have always been more and less coupled with the atmosphere, which the MEI attempts to quantify. It was always apparent that this particular cool ENSO event was very well coupled, as opposed to least year's event. I buy into what you are saying to a degree, but you do seem to kind of find a way to attribute everything to the HC. For instance, last year the la nina didn't act like a la nina because the HC nullifies ENSO...but this year, its constructively interfering with ENSO. Just seems a bit nebulous and perhaps overstated to me.

Not trying to be a dick...I get that this is a novel concept.

I don't do that.

When it comes up...such as Will's ( correct) observation, that there is blocking at high latitudes and the oddities in the results here...etc, then it becomes relevant as any possible aspect of speculation.

I don't go out of my way, and I can prove that.  I don't really care if folks accept this gunk, or pin it on me...?    But "everything" in the above context, is bullshit just the same.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

GFS actually has the 1/7 event now, though it’s a bit too far west for good snows. Still way out there, but EPS/Euro suite has been entertaining that system. So if you want something to latch onto, that system would likely be the best shot.

I think that is the one that may have some hope...just an educated guess, though.

• Like 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

GFS actually has the 1/7 event now, though it’s a bit too far west for good snows. Still way out there, but EPS/Euro suite has been entertaining that system. So if you want something to latch onto, that system would likely be the best shot.

Was just going to post that.. 

also think the 1/3 storm is still on life support but there’s a chance.. 6 of the individual GEFS have a significant 6”+ snowfall for SNE. With about 10 of them showing at least 2-4”

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I don't do that.

When it comes up...such as Will's ( correct observation, that there is blocking at high latitudes and the oddities of the result here...etc), then it becomes relevant as any possible aspect of speculation.

I don't go out of my way, and I can prove that.  I don't really care if folks accept this gunk, or pin it on me...?    But "everything" is bullshit just the same.

It just seems common sense to me that an NAO block in conjunction with a record RNA pulse could do that, anyway....I mean, we have always had certain patterns more prone to compression. And what we do know is 1) HC didn't seem to constructively interfere with ENSO last year 2) It doesn't seem to be deconstructively interfering this year.

Just some casual observations.

4 minutes ago, Sey-Mour Snow said:

Was just going to post that.. 

also think the 1/3 storm is still on life support but there’s a chance.. 6 of the individual GEFS have a significant 6”+ snowfall for SNE. With about 10 of them showing at least 2-4”

I’m completely ignoring the 1/3 system until non-GFS guidance shows anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Even though they like to troll and bust balls a lot, I think its only fair to give credit to the guys like @qg_omega, @forkyforkand @Torch Tiger this month. I feel like it would be hypocritical not to because at the end of the day, their slew of warm graphics ended up more right than wrong this month.

Kudos, and I stand corrected with respect to December.

That said, I still feel better times are ahead later this season.

We'll see.

I never forecasted off the slew of (sometimes) warm graphics...and they weren't always warm, there have been plenty of differences in modeling and ensembles throughout the month

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Torch Tiger said:

I never forecasted off the slew of (sometimes) warm graphics...and they weren't always warm, there have been plenty of differences in modeling and ensembles throughout the month

No sarcasm intended...just honestly trying to credit your overall conceptualization, which proved more correct than not. 

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

The warmth was IMO not really in question. I mean yeah, it's likely warmer than many thought, but I don't feel it ever had a cold look. I guess for me, it's the lack of precip from systems like SWFE. That I did not anticipate back earlier in the month.

I'm just writing up a review now...while certainly not frigid, I expected it to be near normal to perhaps seasonably cold....but yea, what really killed us was the compression between that stagnant RNA/NAO couplet. The warmth in and of itself was not prohibitive to at least near climo snowfall.

29 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Winter 2021/22, it's perpetually only 8 days away.... :wub:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1