Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

We really only had two stick-bomb winters when your kids were growing up....2006-2007, and 2011-2012.

They thought every winter involved massive coastals and blizzards and feet of snow . That’s just about all they saw except for a winter or two . My point is though, I’ve never seen someone stress so much about kids being inside . Take them out to lunch or a brewery with the wife . Go shopping, movies.. there’s plenty to do 

• Confused 1

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

They thought every winter involved massive coastals and blizzards and feet of snow . That’s just about all they saw except for a winter or two . My point is though, I’ve never seen someone stress so much about kids being inside . Take them out to lunch or a brewery with the wife . Go shopping, movies.. there’s plenty to do 

I think he over embellishes in an attempt to derive humor from a sea of weather shit.

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I saw Will's comment about Dec '70. Funny how that was a similar look for awhile and we got shafted. Only takes a small subtle difference to collapse the jenga puzzle.

Yeah the best match for the pattern in the second half of this month was Dec 1970….but nuances such as a slightly deeper PNA trough out west make a big difference. You can tell though just by looking at the pattern how it wouldn’t have taken much of a tweak to get a bunch of solid events. 

16 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

And this is a perfect example of what I was saying. My post was to make a point on the way we should go about these things and not to pounce on others. You torch tiger are definitely one of the antagonizers. You don't come on here with any positive feedback. You come on here to dig into people, and twist at night. You are definitely one of those bullies and you really shouldn't be on here. So take that and stick it where the sun don't shine

It sounded like your point was "cya next winter, this winter blows".  Can't blame you if your only wx interest is snow

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah the best match for the pattern in the second half of this month was Dec 1970….but nuances such as a slightly deeper PNA trough out west make a big difference. You can tell though just by looking at the pattern how it wouldn’t have taken much of a tweak to get a bunch of solid events. 

That is the essence of what I missed in December....the RNA was deeper and less variable. The lower heights also hung around AK a bit longer than I had thought early on in the month.

Pretty small misses in the grand scheme of things have a very big sensible impact and can really flush a forecast.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is the essence of what I missed in December....the RNA was deeper and less variable. The lower heights also hung around AK a bit longer than I had thought early on in the month.

Pretty small misses in the grand scheme of things have a very big sensible impact and can really flush a forecast.

The deeper PNA trough also caused the more amplified ridge into the south-central US (like TX/OK up into the lower MS valley) and that helped shred systems…if a few of these shortwaves stay slightly less shredded, you prob get a couple of warning events out of it. 

27 minutes ago, Torch Tiger said:

that's a wasted winter and still a ratter to me...backloaded snow in SNE late-winter and March blows, unless you travel to a resort to enjoy it.

Totally - winter needs to behave itself and not be a ****ing toddler about it........you can't lose December like this and feel good about the rest of the season even if it turns out "average".....so many people on here are cool with an "average" winter.....its fuking weird....

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The deeper PNA trough also caused the more amplified ridge into the south-central US (like TX/OK up into the lower MS valley) and that helped shred systems…if a few of these shortwaves stay slightly less shredded, you prob get a couple of warning events out of it. 

Well a lot of winter left, i hoping, but wondering if we will have a few cold masses, below CON to start icing up ponds etc, 

Just now, ice1972 said:

Totally - winter needs to behave itself and not be a ****ing toddler about it........you can't lose December like this and feel good about the rest of the season even if it turns out "average".....so many people on here are cool with an "average" winter.....its fuking weird....

The thing is....when you lose a significant portion of the early winter, and then end up near average, it implies a pretty damn good period or two.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

The thing is....when you lose a significant portion of the early winter, and then end up near average, it implies a pretty damn good period or two.

It also makes you wonder what could have been and thats the grail we all want.......if only December had come in good - if only......like Jan 2011 was amazing but it was preceded by Boxing Day 2010 - ALL TIME SHIT STORM IN THE HISTORY OF SHIT STORMS - and then followed by the great February melt.....my 30" pack went to zilch in a day or whatever - you know what I mean.....

The mood of winter matters.......and when you lose December the mood sucks.....

5 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Going forward if and when it becomes more favorable, Hopefully we don't end up cold and dry.

I'd obviously prefer snow, but a deep Arctic blast would work for me too. It seems like we don't get too many of those 10 degree high days down here. 

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Exactly. These days I'd rather punt December and have a strong February/March (since Jan hasn't been great in a while) over middling events that define a season. 

1 minute ago, ice1972 said:

It also makes you wonder what could have been and thats the grail we all want.......if only December had come in good - if only......like Jan 2011 was amazing but it was preceded by Boxing Day 2010 - ALL TIME SHIT STORM IN THE HISTORY OF SHIT STORMS - and then followed by the great February melt.....my 30" pack went to zilch in a day or whatever - you know what I mean.....

The mood of winter matters.......and when you lose December the mood sucks.....

People forget that even the great seasons have a shitty month...February and March 2011 were meh....mid January to mid Feb 1996....bleh...hell, December through most of January 2014-2015, and even March 2015.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'd obviously prefer snow, but a deep Arctic blast would work for me too. It seems like we don't get too many of those 10 degree high days down here. 

Exactly. These days I'd rather punt December and have a strong February/March (since Jan hasn't been great in a while) over middling events that define a season

The definition of a good winter does not include losing December.......theres three periods in winter and you can't go down 2-0 in the first period and expect to blow out the other team especially when the wait for the next game is 9 months - God it sucks to lose December - can't do that

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Day after Boxing Day 2010. Off to the races after that. Miss those days. Models have blown LR since last Spring. Hard to get a grasp on things. Will say nice look going forward but who knows 

FB_IMG_1640704558000.jpg

Man this rubs me wrong - all kinds of wrong - it was Corona Light and limes in West Hartford after that storm......

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

it is the 6.5"  of really thick meaty snowpack up here that makes this tolerable.  But if we don't get at least 6" of powder on top of this in the next week or 10 days, it will become a PITA.  Up here we are on the edge but still optimistic.  Deep winter look outside this morning on the walk.

IMG_6075.jpg

• Like 1