• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021/2022 January Thread

AMZ8990

Bigger precipitation field than I was expecting. Sleet reported north of Nashville but it’s snowing all the way back to the Arkansas/Oklahoma boarder. Not expecting anything outside of elevation in ETn but if 850’s crash before the valley warms up, it might get interesting, especially north of 40.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

Bigger precipitation field than I was expecting. Sleet reported north of Nashville but it’s snowing all the way back to the Arkansas/Oklahoma boarder. Not expecting anything outside of elevation in ETn but if 850’s crash before the valley warms up, it might get interesting, especially north of 40.

I think that's modeled to dry up as it gets here. Hopefully it holds together.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowellVolz said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if you and @Shocker0 see more than expected.

Hope so, we're not really expecting anything at all though. It's 45 at my house and have been having heavy rain. Surprisingly there is still some snow on the ground from the other day through all of it. I'd be happy if we could even pull off a dusting. If somehow more, even better.

EDIT: I say that but the cold front may be going through now because it's dropped 3 degrees in a five minutes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, John1122 said:

The HRRR is all over the place. It dropped 6 inches there around Olhausen a couple runs ago. It's backed way off since. 

Yeah Portland is going to end up with 2-3 inches if not more. This was from work when I was leaving at 11:30pm. Everything was completely covered including roads. I saw like 6 snow plows headed north as I drove home to White House.

530D0BD7-367E-4BB3-ACA4-CF154CD76818.thumb.jpeg.6da995f1822efb53d3ab114a9420b59c.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Light snow currently falling IMBY.

I am distrustful of modeling at the moment.  That said, looks like a pattern change is in store just after the beginning of February.  The MJO is in the COD with very low amplitude 4(warm phase) being shown.  It is interesting as I think I remember NC folks talking about how there is a connection there with phase 3 and winter storms for them.  Anyway, lots of variations of MJO stuff on modeling.  To me this implies a somewhat variable pattern is upcoming as the MJO really wants to remain in the null phase.  If it stays there, it may let cold push at times into the US.  That produces thread the needle storms, but not the zero chance stuff that we saw in December.  

That also gets me to my next point.  I am very suspicious of the dry look in modeling.  It may well last through this cold spell or it may not.  As I noted yesterday, I would suspect as things retrograde beginning later next week...that the chances for a storm are there.  I would lean towards two opportunities next week, a mid-week window and a late week window.  This upcoming window looks far less promising than it did several days ago for sure.  But it is not uncommon for modeling to lose storms and then find them.  It is also not uncommon for us to have a break in precip as well.  La Nina patterns are notorious for dry spells.

The CPC released their forecast for February, and they are bullish on a warm eastern seaboard.  I can't disagree at this point, but I doubt this is a return to the December torch.  That looks fits climatology.  As is, January will finish likely BN for temps and AN for snowfall.  Not bad.  Now, time to see if we can steal a storm or two before spring begins to show its hand.  

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

Light snow currently falling IMBY.

I am distrustful of modeling at the moment.  That said, looks like a pattern change is in store just after the beginning of February.  The MJO is in the COD with very low amplitude 4(warm phase) being shown.  It is interesting as I think I remember NC folks talking about how there is a connection there with phase 3 and winter storms.  Anyway, lots of variations of MJO stuff on modeling.  To me this implies a somewhat variable pattern is upcoming as the COD really wants to remain in the null phase.  If it stays there, it may let cold push at times into the US.  That produces thread the needle storms, but not the zero chance stuff that we saw in December.  

That also gets me to my next point.  I am very suspicious of the dry look in modeling.  It may well last through this cold spell.  As I noted yesterday, I would suspect as things retrograde beginning later next week...that the chances for a storm are there.  I would lean towards two opportunities next week, a mid-week window and a late week window.  This upcoming window looks far less promising than it did several days ago for sure.  But it is not uncommon for modeling to lose storms and then find them.  It is also not uncommon for us to have a break in precip as well.  La Nina patterns are notorious or dry spells.

The CPC released their forecast for February, and they are bullish on a warm eastern seaboard.  I can't disagree at this point, but I doubt this is a return to the December torch.  That looks fits climatology.  As is, January will finish likely BN for temps and AN for snowfall.  Not bad.  Now, time to see if we can steal a storm or two before spring begins to show its hand.  

Yeah, think they are basically going Nina Feb. Climo .

Hopefully, we pull off an odd Nina one ala; 96, 72 or even '75. 

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic