Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2021/2022 January Thread

AMZ8990

17 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I really hope the Canadian is right, because the GFS was one of the most frustrating runs ever. Dry cold while people to the S/E/N/W of the forum area get 6+ inches of snow.

You forgot that at the end of the run we got the ever fruitful Miller B to cap it off. <please read with sarcasm>

• Sad 1

I won't stick a fork in this one quite yet with the 12z GEFS surprisingly coming on board.  Need to see if the GEFS/EPS ensembles have a western cluster of lows compared to what operationals depict, especially for folks in NE TN.  These are sneaky systems in this area.  Within the 72-96 range this year, TRI has 3x been moved from significant accumulations to hard-earned back end snow.  I would be very surprised with the SER does not fight during the next 10 says.  I certainly could happen, but think it likely we connect on one one these.  

• Like 1

For all intents and purposes, all but the Euro connect on something on their 12z runs.  The GFS is close to multiple events.  The CMC has a monster at 192.  Lots of energy running around.  As the Euro just showed(not to the good this time), things can change quickly with this much cold and a relatively active STJ.  

Let's be honest, straight-forward, and frank.. 12Z suite overall needs a train wreck gif.

However the GFS did already tick northwest relative to itself. EC cave is epic. Canadian and UK, smh.

All that griping aside, and about 1/3 of ensemble members are better - deeper 552 into Alabama and cooperative southern stream 570.

Still four days out. I'd say another 24 hours for a northwest jog or jump, 36 hours max. Otherwise punt.

• Like 8

Maybe I’m just pissing into the wind but all three systems this year moved 100 miles, two of them NW in the 11th hour. IMO if we were ground zero right now this board would be concerned with a NW trend coming. But then again it may track SE of the area. 3+ days out, nothing is off the table.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nrgjeff said:

Let's be honest, straight-forward, and frank.. 12Z suite overall needs a train wreck gif.

However the GFS did already tick northwest relative to itself. EC cave is epic. Canadian and UK, smh.

All that griping aside, and about 1/3 of ensemble members are better - deeper 552 into Alabama and cooperative southern stream 570.

Still four days out. I'd say another 24 hours for a northwest jog or jump, 36 hours max. Otherwise punt.

Agree on that.  Pretty much sums it up.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

I wonder if this ends up being like the December 2017 storm? 

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a5304bb024516920ab

Something similar is what I believe is the most probable outcome (but who know, changes in 500 from run to run is bad right now). Not much separation in energy, depends on how far SE the initial front pushes/orientation and then multiple day overrunning with the waves following along the stalled front. Just don't buy any amped solution right now, week LP popping maybe.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, John1122 said:

The RGEM jumped more NW than the NAM. Has a nice 2-4 inch event East of 75.

It and the NAM dig the northern energy more SW, allowing them to pickup the southern energy. GFS misses the connection but trails weakened form of the energy behind the initial (2nd wave). Euro misses and squashes the 2nd.

• Like 1

It looked to me like there was the potential for a little more interaction early on, but that didn't work out at all. 

One positive note is that there has been a noticeable, but small trend with the jet streak to become stronger and move NW over the past few runs:

giphy.gif?cid=790b76112839d4ffddece8d85f

We're pretty well positioned to be on the right entrance region if that amplification continues. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

With so much cold and an active STJ through the end of the month, we really have about two weeks of good snowstorm tracking ahead.  They won't all pan out, but some have a good chance to.  Looks like the pattern is trying to flip the trough out West for February.  This time modeling really likes cold to push for a week or so, even after the flip.  The lack of a massive -NAO should allow the cold to push southeast in an MJO 1-3 set-up before finally giving way to a thaw.  Would not surprise me at all to see winter make another final comeback after that thaw.  Been a decent winter for many.  Weak La Nina's can be great patterns.  There is now way modeling has each individual storm modeled well.  With so much in the pipeline, it is likely a matter of time before one of these connects along the eastern seaboard. 

• Like 5

TRI is now just 0.4F above normal for the month.  Considering the first two days were +29 and +17, that is a big turn around.  TRI has also received about 4.9" of snow which occurred as part of several nickel-and-dime events.  Unless something drastic occurs, TRI has a real chance at finishing the month below normal for temps.  How many of us had that in our seasonal forecasts?  I sure didn't!!!   LOL.  But I did get the end of December warm shot correct - woo, yeah(said in a Bueller, Bueller flat tone).  It is pretty amazing the work that this forum did in the pre-winter thread that we do during the summer and fall.  Lots of great analogs, ENSO discussions, etc.  The ENSO thread itself has some great work in it as well.  It is a group effort and the body of work is pretty interesting in how well it works through so many scenarios.  If you are new to the forum, take some time and go back through that set of posts.  Seasonal forecasting(pro or hobby) is IMHO some of the toughest work out there.   I don't stay overly tied to the seasonal forecast though.  Some pieces are just inevitably going to miss.  Chaos is unpredictable for reason.  However, some good stuff in there.   We might be the smallest subforum, but ya'll produce great content.  These storm threads have been a blast to follow.  And hey, we are here year round.  It is a little slower during the summer, but there is still interesting stuff at times.

BTW, early look at the next winter season.  Moderate to weak El Nino is possible.  Moderat is no beuno.  Weak El Nino's which follow La Nina's I believe can be quite good.  The SST gradient will be strong around the Nino and give a stronger ENSO signal.  I foresee a mean trough over the East through much of the last 2/3 of winter, BUT beware...Nino winters can start late to very late.  Summer and fall could well be seasonal, especially late summer.  The hangover from La Nina may keep the first part of summer warm.   Decembers are often rainy and slighlyt AN.  Wonder if we get a flip to cold right around or just after Christmas this time?  Maybe we see some snow showers in October this year?

• Like 4

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic