Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021/2022 January Thread

AMZ8990

34 minutes ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

One thing I'm interested in seeing, if we get a vort track similar to what the 12z GFS is showing, is how the surface low hand off works in this situation.

It almost looked like it tried to pop one in the NE Gulf, then off the SE coast. Would that perhaps mitigate some of the normal eastern valley warm nose issues? I don't know. I've never seen a storm take a track like this, as far as I can remember, while I've been tracking these on the forums. 

Good question. Being an Antique, I recall some but, don't remember when or what effect irt the Valley. I think the late 70's Winter's featured some of those. However, such cold air masses were generally in place that the Valley warm nose wasn't as noticed irt precip types. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigbald said:

My post really adds nothing of substance here but whenever I see Carolina getting crushed I always feel fring-y at TRI.  It's happened alot over my lifetime, enough so that I will have a bad knee jerk reaction when I see the bright colors over NC lol.

What we want to see is DC involved.  Seems like when they are involved, we see part of those storms.  That said, this storm basically cuts due north from Savannah.  Going to be a powerhouse IF that is correct.  Lots of momentum being created/expended with a turn that sharp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Not that it matters, there are a billion threats and billion changes to come, but in the long term 12z gfs there is the world's greatest clipper dropping down at 300 hrs with solid precip falling into 7-15 degree air for a few days.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The snow map for the 12z GFS run is going be pretty stout.

That has got to be my favorite all time fantasy op run.  Even at 384 hr there is a nice artic intrusion fixing to bomb down out of the Dakota's.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Bigbald said:

That has got to be my favorite all time fantasy op run.  Even at 384 hr there is a nice artic intrusion fixing to bomb down out of the Dakota's.

Yeah, it is worth post if nothing more for posterity.  57" in West Virginia on that run.  Not sure I have seen that in the East for a run.

Screen_Shot_2022-01-11_at_12.38.38_PM.pn

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, PowellVolz said:

I good with this though. I would much rather take my chances of being to far NW at this juncture. Been burned too many times when we are in the bullseye in that 4-8 day window.

Yeah, I agree as far as what is the typical as well. Definitely not wanting that deep southern track and know the UK is crap anymore but, just a sour gut feeling possibility as I recall those nina years and setups when that occurred. Not that extreme south but, the loop west, south and then east of us. March, 09 . Cant remember the other year. Memp. got hammered then Atl and Chatt. Then Tn/NC border east. That is my worry. Should have specified precisely.

Not nearly as south as uk depicts. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I agree as far as what is the typical as well. Definitely not wanting that deep southern track and know the UK is crap anymore but, just a sour gut feeling possibility as I recall those nina years and setups when that occurred. Not that extreme south but, the loop west, south and then east of us. March, 09 . Cant remember the other year. Memp. got hammered then Atl and Chatt. Then Tn/NC border east. That is my worry. Should have specified precisely.
    Not nearly as south as uk depicts. 

Oh I totally get your point and agree

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic