Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2021/2022 January Thread

AMZ8990

31 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

We need this to really dig or this is going to easily be a Carolina special.  I remember some storms like this back in either the late 90s or early 2000s where the snow line stopped right at the top of the Apps.  I had to go to Carvers Gap to see snow!!! LOL.  

My post really adds nothing of substance here but whenever I see Carolina getting crushed I always feel fring-y at TRI.  It's happened alot over my lifetime, enough so that I will have a bad knee jerk reaction when I see the bright colors over NC lol.

• Like 2

One thing I'm interested in seeing, if we get a vort track similar to what the 12z GFS is showing, is how the surface low hand off works in this situation.

It almost looked like it tried to pop one in the NE Gulf, then off the SE coast. Would that perhaps mitigate some of the normal eastern valley warm nose issues? I don't know. I've never seen a storm take a track like this, as far as I can remember, while I've been tracking these on the forums. 

• Like 1

There is very little room left for this to trend north or we will switch from priming snow shovels to liquid snow.  That would be the word of caution.  What will be interesting to see is if this is just a trend west or a trend to a MUCH larger storm.  If that track is legit, have to think that sharp of a turn would result in a more snow/precip than modeled on the western fringe after the turn is made.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Wurbus said:

Would have been perfect if that pesky warm nose would stay out of the valley! Would be nice to have 1 system to not worry about the warm nose.

The 06z GFS would be a good way to avoid most of that. It wasn’t perfect for the valley, but it had a lot of nice features.  The low stayed far enough south to keep the 850mb flow more east verses southeast, and there was an inverted trough extending up the mountains (provides lift and helps maintain a down valley flow). The 12z GFS changed the 850mb flow to a SE direction. That would cause a lot of downslope problems for many in East TN. Too early to worry about the details though.

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic