Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter 2021/2022 January Thread

AMZ8990

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

To follow up on what John said, the 0z GFS was what I call the space invaders pattern. The northern stream and the STJ keep shooting energy at each other like the old video game:

Only a matter of time before the two streams connect and we have another legit trackable snow/ice system, IMO

• Like 5

Just like the last two systems, the pattern gives us an opportunity to cash in but it does favor everyone west of the plateau and NW of 40/81. Not saying Knoxville, south won’t get in on the action but it’s not ideal. That being said, we were 25-50 miles from a good event.

Also just something to think about…. When arctic air is moving across the country, the mods can have a hard time picking up on waves that are imbedded in the flow. I remember several years ago we had arctic air in place and we were tracking a couple of big systems. The systems were several days apart but between the systems a inverted trough was sniffed out 48 hours before it hit and Knoxville got 4-6” off of it.

• Like 2

Really there are two boomers within the next week on that run.  NE blizzard and then a potent slider.  Either, both, or none could impact this region....better that just “none” as an option at this point!  As John notes, modeling has really wanted to deepen storms along the coast.  Tnweathernut also stated it’s a matter of time before something phases.  

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Mr. Kevin said:

Carver, you have updates on the ensembles moving forward?

I thought they all looked very  good.  At some point, I do think we see the MJO begin to move.  JB had a great write-up on that today.  MJO plots could get wild as we potentially will have convection in two different MJO regions (5/2?).  The Australian has a new look where it takes the tour during the second half of the month.  No other model has that.  The Australian MJO has been woeful at times this winter, so I am not holding my breath waiting for a correct solution with it.  We could see a major shift in medium and LR modeling if that BOM look persists.  For now, I suspect that we could stay cold, even in the warm MJO phases if the Australian MJO is correct for the second half of the month.  That has occurred before during one of the 90s winters...maybe 95-96?  Can't remember.  To me, looks like cold is coming and storms as well, regardless of the MJO look right now.  I think we can get to the end of the month in good shape, but slightly shaky ground in saying that.  Patterns normally run 4-6 weeks.  By the end of Jan, we are pushing the limits at how long this pattern can hold.  Not saying the next pattern is worse BTW.  I suspect the next pattern pulls the cold into the center of the country or back into the front range.  I bet it pushes more than it did during December if that is the case.

The 18z GFS is where we want this to go.  Looks crazy good.

• Like 4

In other news the overnight Euro shows the possibility of a couple of "waves riding a front" scenarios. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b761119f340ea1bd3c2ad77

GFS doesn't want anything to do with the first one and the CMC doesn't want anything to do with the second one. The pieces of energy on the Euro that cause the wave are pretty small, so not sure ensembles are much help. Just something to watch for. 

SOI still dropping and negative, at -27 this AM. 

I like the Euro's RMM this AM. It seems to think we just keep doing what we've been doing and maybe do it all over again. It brings uus right back to where we are now late month, lol. 

ol9RdXe.png

Ye olden BOM does pretty much the same, but at a lower amplitude, then takes us through 1 and 2:

klJroZT.png

North American models still haven't updates from the CPC's source. 

Convection near Polynesia for the past 2 days looks steady as she goes:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d87e0acc46c1a9f25a

Overnight long range ensemble patterns, for interested parties:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a95d52264643a8bd2e

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611b25e265374dc7e1bc1

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115f6e33802598be5590

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

In other news the overnight Euro shows the possibility of a couple of "waves riding a front" scenarios. 

giphy.gif?cid=790b761119f340ea1bd3c2ad77

GFS doesn't want anything to do with the first one and the CMC doesn't want anything to do with the second one. The pieces of energy on the Euro that cause the wave are pretty small, so not sure ensembles are much help. Just something to watch for. 

SOI still dropping and negative, at -27 this AM. 

I like the Euro's RMM this AM. It seems to think we just keep doing what we've been doing and maybe do it all over again. It brings uus right back to where we are now late month, lol. 

ol9RdXe.png

Ye olden BOM does pretty much the same, but at a lower amplitude, then takes us through 1 and 2:

klJroZT.png

North American models still haven't updates from the CPC's source. 

Convection near Polynesia for the past 2 days looks steady as she goes:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611d87e0acc46c1a9f25a

Overnight long range ensemble patterns, for interested parties:

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611a95d52264643a8bd2e

giphy.gif?cid=790b7611b25e265374dc7e1bc1

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115f6e33802598be5590

With the Sst profile now warmed into the 7-8 area, it makes sense. If the warming progressing it should further stronger eastward progression later on. May end up with a good winter here on, or at least up into Feb. especially with blocking appearing likely setting up too.

• Like 3

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic