Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022

buckeyefan1

1 minute ago, CaryWx said:

gfs 0z OP putting out some ridiculous stuff...but the fun kind 

If we got 2 storms in a couple days I’d seriously contemplate signing on the dotted line to call winter a wrap after that, even with my latitude comparatively to some in here. Would be absolutely incredible. 

• Thanks 2

GEFS individuals still showing a very wide range of outcomes from rain, to dry, from light snow, to big snow. I think it's safe to say that the Mid-Atlantic to the NE is probably more favored and the SE maybe moreso with the trailing wave, but it's clear if the cards fall our way we're in the game for both.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Awesomesauce81 said:

I don't think I've ever seen the GFS this consistent with a fantasy storm this far out, especially  at the same timeframe. It's definitely caught my attention.

Whereas the 18Z GFS backed off for 12/26, the 0Z brought it right back as a sleet/snow mix to the coast and inland 25-50 miles. See map below, which counts it all as snow and thus inflates the amounts. Further inland is all snow. This makes the 0Z GFS a highly unusual 5th of the last 9 and 3rd of the last 4 with significant wintry precip all the way to the SE coast on 12/26 fwiw (still not much value other than entertainment that far out). 

B7175E37-BD1F-44EE-B78F-D17A3E945F23.thumb.png.0f696369017f9b94ce39114b46b8f2b6.png

OTOH and more importantly since ensemble means have a good bit less inaccuracy than operational runs, the 0Z GEFS mean has the 500 mb trough a good bit west of earlier GEFS runs and is thus warmer/too warm for coastal wintry precip. on 12/26. Since having a winter storm on the coast of this magnitude is rare (only once every 20 years in our area), I normally view modeled winter storms in our area with a lot of doubt since most don't materialize. Let's see whether or not this GEFS run is a harbinger of GFS future runs.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Awesomesauce81 said:

I don't think I've ever seen the GFS this consistent with a fantasy storm this far out, especially  at the same timeframe. It's definitely caught my attention.

Whereas the 0Z GEFS backed down on a coastal 12/26 threat, the 0Z Euro did the opposite. It had at 240 in the SE Gulf a weak low that appeared ready to make a turn NE across FL and strengthen. This would be due to the 500 mb flow becoming a more moist SW in response to strong upper level energy diving SE from Canada. Cold enough air at the time was still along the coast. Had this run gone just a little bit further, I think it would have shown a coastal SE winter storm. 

More importantly, the 0Z EPS supports the Euro with a good number of members as well as the mean looking threatening on 12/26. In addition, 8 of 20 (40%) of 0Z GEPS members have wintry precip, mainly ZR, to the coast on 12/25.

Edit: 6Z GFS is MUCH warmer on 12/26 with no winter storm anywhere closeby, following the lead of the 0Z GEFS.

I could be wrong but this feels like the first Miller A/B hybrid that we've dealt with in a while. With the hybrid we're basically trying to perfectly time a clipper phasing with a suppressed southern stream wave. 06z GFS really shows where the speed of both systems matters for the final outcome. The southern wave gets too far ahead so the phase is too late. Also just as the Euro showed a couple days ago, the clipper portion alone is enough to bring light to moderate snow to the western side of the forum if it digs enough. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GaWx said:

Whereas the 0Z GEFS backed down on a coastal 12/26 threat, the 0Z Euro did the opposite. It had at 240 in the SE Gulf a weak low that appeared ready to make a turn NE across FL and strengthen. This would be due to the 500 mb flow becoming a more moist SW in response to strong upper level energy diving SE from Canada. Cold enough air at the time was still along the coast. Had this run gone just a little bit further, I think it would have shown a coastal SE winter storm. 

More importantly, the 0Z EPS supports the Euro with a good number of members as well as the mean looking threatening on 12/26. In addition, 8 of 20 (40%) of 0Z GEPS members have wintry precip, mainly ZR, to the coast on 12/25.

Edit: 6Z GFS is MUCH warmer on 12/26 with no winter storm anywhere closeby, following the lead of the 0Z GEFS.

6z GFS is definitely still a hit of snow for a lot of the region. 

544735138_GFS-WeatherBell-Maps(1).thumb.png.cb66176a47524ab8c2b42e7b87196351.png

But yes, it is a later, further east phase/ digging.... not what most would want. 

6z compared to 0z:

GFS-WeatherBell-Maps.thumb.png.b5666bca7eb41c0a48456aff42026508.png

• Like 5

I'm definitely slightly conflicted, trying to travel around the holidays. The 6z GFS drops a few inches on us the night before we leave (probably freezes solid under), snows on Christmas in PA, then we get dumped on again when trying to travel back. If that happened we'd probably be staying home for Christmas.

Yea the trends didn’t go our way last night but lots of reason to remain optimistic. The pattern screams potential for the SE, and these models are still struggling to get a grip with the players on the field in this new pattern. 

storm? Check

cold air? Check 

how much will it dig? TBD 

• Like 3

• buckeyefan1 changed the title to Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022
  • buckeyefan1 unpinned this topic