• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022

buckeyefan1

The latest GEFS forecast for AO implies a good chance for a ~-3 AO for 12/16-31. Since 1950 (assuming I didn't miss any), the only lower AOs for 12/16-31 were in 1950, 1976, 2000, 2009, and 2010. So, 2022 is aiming to have the 6th lowest AO for 12/16-31. 1995 was just above -3 and would be 7th lowest if this forecast holds. Since 2010, there have been none that were -2 or lower.

What were the SE US temps and wintry precip for those 12/16-31s? I haven't checked that yet. If I get time, I'll look them up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

23 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

That was obviously a disaster of a run with all the cold in the west. Seattle in the single digits is never good for us. Troubling thing is, each Op run is showing this with greater significance. 

sfct.conus (3).png

To me, that looks like a frontal boundary headed east.  I would expect that cold air (not as cold, but cold) to move east after this image.  

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

That was obviously a disaster of a run with all the cold in the west. Seattle in the single digits is never good for us. Troubling thing is, each Op run is showing this with greater significance. 

sfct.conus (3).png

Ensemble means as you must know are much more credible that far out. The 12Z EPS, whereas it isn't quite as cold as the 0Z EPS, it doesn't have the SW trough/SER and is thus much colder than the operational. 

• Like 1

Guys, I really wouldn’t overly be concerned about the Euro. There are several known biases that come into play concerning the model itself, including over-amplifying, along with a very well known bias of not correctly ejecting energy out of the southwest. By holding it back a couple days it completely transforms the 500 and surface maps. Could it be onto something? Sure.. Is it most likely showing its hand with its tendencies? That’s what I’m banking on. I’m ready for cold and snow so it’s all I can do to counteract what just happened lol. GFS and Canadian were also not far off of one another whatsoever. 

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, Sandstorm94 said:

Ok, got a moment...

Happy Hour did deliver, having taken a step back on the right track compared to the last 18 hours. GEFS also improved south of I85 and the run avg was significantly colder for Christmas.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

At the absolute minimum here that cold shot is no freakin joke! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sandstorm94 said:

That is the way I see it, even with no show, at least no short sleeves and t shirts on Christmas this year

Heck with that.  Either white snow or green fairways.  No in between on Christmas or the weather was just wasted.  You cant even have a good bonfire when it is 20° outside.

If these trends keep up we might as well break out the vodka for Christmas.  :shiver:

• Like 1

Heck with that.  Either white snow or green fairways.  No in between on Christmas or the weather was just wasted.  You cant even have a good bonfire when it is 20° outside.
If these trends keep up we might as well break out the vodka for Christmas.  :shiver:
We live in the SE, with that in mind I will take a cold Christmas snow or no snow. At least it will *feel* like the season

• Like 2

10 hours ago, kvegas-wx said:

100% this...

Break out the Stolichnaya!

Снег и водка – это был бы поистине полноценный праздник!

• buckeyefan1 changed the title to Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022
  • buckeyefan1 unpinned this topic