Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022

buckeyefan1

1 hour ago, BornAgain13 said:

18z GFS pulled the rug out of course. I wouldn't expect anything less. When the Euro ain't showing the storms, don't go with the ones that are.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

One OP run brother. 18z at that too. Let’s see what 0z suite brings us. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

Here's something one will see only very rarely, a 360 hour EPS map with BN essentially in all of the lower 48! It is especially hard for all of Florida to be included in these situations, where usually some ridging nearby keeps it at least normal especially in S FL. Note also that this is for Christmas morning:

76E6B678-4A67-4C44-ACB6-69C0F72D8AC6.thumb.png.9531b50d0e8374a6b201b6f3dd0f80ee.png

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

12Z GFS fwiw has not just one, not just two, not just three, but FOUR different short waves that produce wintry precip over LA. Details that far out (1-2 weeks) aren't important due to very low credibility of the very jumpy GFS. But this shows the potential threat for wintry precip in parts of the SE US at some point(s) in the second half of December. Looking at ensemble consensus for then, practically the entire US is a cold island sticking out like a wintry thumb, which is rare. If enough of that cold were to reach the SE US, it could easily mean significant wintry precip in parts of the SE and quite possibly more than once, especially as usual in the more favorable northern parts. Down my way, where wintry precip is rare (only about once every 4-5 years longterm average and more often trace or light than not), I'm mainly just wanting a cold pattern. Down this far SE, I don't live or die based on getting wintry precip as I'd be dead almost all of the time lol though I never give up hope for a miracle when it is cold.

The indices per today's GEFS forecast for that period are rather favorable for cold overall with a continued strong -AO (-2 to -3), weak to borderline moderate -NAO (-0.25 to -0.50), and a rising PNA from the prior three weeks of -PNA to a neutral to possibly weak +PNA during this period. Also, the MJO is pretty conducive for then per forecasts for allowing cold with it mainly low amped inside the bottom part of the circle although the EPS has it going outside right side in about 10 days, which itself would favor mild in the SE.

• Like 5

Some interesting climo for major Atlanta ice and sleet storms based on my own research done several years ago:

1. Every one since Feb of 1979 has occurred when the MJO was within the COD with one exception: the Feb 1979 sleet, which started in phase 3 just outside. But then even it moved inside for most of it.

2. Every one since 1940 had predominantly east winds, not NE winds. Any major winter storm that had mainly NE, N, NW, or west winds (~18 of them) was mainly or all snow as opposed to mainly sleet or ZR.

• Like 4

To give you an idea of how much colder the model consensus for especially the E 1/3 of the US is now vs what it was Friday at 12Z, the natural gas market this evening opened up a whopping 10% over the last price traded of Friday!! That's almost, if not totally, unheard of in the 30 years this market has traded!

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Jonathan said:

The 18z GEFS is much more robust with the extent of the freezing rain Thursday, getting all the way down into central NC vs the 12z GEFS which barely made it to the NC border.

Interesting.

Just now, BornAgain13 said:

Definitely need to keep an eye on that!

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

18z EURO concurs as well, at least SW VA 81 corridor at minimum. 

• buckeyefan1 changed the title to Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022
  • buckeyefan1 unpinned this topic