• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022

buckeyefan1

Upgraded to an excessive heat warning today. We verified one yesterday despite only having a heat advisory. Heat like this, even in the south, is quite rare. Usually our dew points mix out in the afternoon at peak heating but this is a pure soup airmass. Hope the advertised pattern changes noted above come to fruition. This has been a miserable summer 

41 minutes ago, NorthHillsWx said:

Upgraded to an excessive heat warning today. We verified one yesterday despite only having a heat advisory. Heat like this, even in the south, is quite rare. Usually our dew points mix out in the afternoon at peak heating but this is a pure soup airmass. Hope the advertised pattern changes noted above come to fruition. This has been a miserable summer 

Meanwhile, GSO only reached 93 yesterday with similar dewpoints. A combination of elevation and cloud debris coming off the mountains has consistently kept high temps much more reasonable (and also at times set up a boundary for storm development)

The data backs up my theory. The average high temp in June was 3.2 degrees higher at Raleigh than at GSO (90.0 & 86.8), compared to the historical average having a gap of 1 degree (86.1 & 85.1)

1 hour ago, NorthHillsWx said:

It was extremely soupy here yesterday and into night fall. Yesterday evening was only the 2nd evening this year that I haven't been able to walk the pups due to the heat and humidity.

6 hours ago, olafminesaw said:

Meanwhile, GSO only reached 93 yesterday with similar dewpoints. A combination of elevation and cloud debris coming off the mountains has consistently kept high temps much more reasonable (and also at times set up a boundary for storm development)

The data backs up my theory. The average high temp in June was 3.2 degrees higher at Raleigh than at GSO (90.0 & 86.8), compared to the historical average having a gap of 1 degree (86.1 & 85.1)

Excellent points. I guess what really struck many of us yesterday was how isolated to the Triangle and Sandhills the big heat was.  The Triad was unremarkable yesterday, while RDU was  at historic heat levels. Even normally hottest Fayetteville was cooler.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

Excellent points. I guess what really struck many of us yesterday was how isolated to the Triangle and upper Sandhills the big heat was.  The Triad was unremarkable yesterday, while RDU was trying to historic. Even normally hottest Fayetteville was cooler. It seems RDU gets big numbers so easily while officially hitting 95 remains rare even in mid summer in the Triad. 

33 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

Excellent points. I guess what really struck many of us yesterday was how isolated to the Triangle and Sandhills the big heat was.  The Triad was unremarkable yesterday, while RDU was trying to historic. Even normally hottest Fayetteville was cooler.

I wonder if urban heat island is a significant contributing factor. The Triangle has had significant growth even in the past few years, since the last major heat wave. 

• Like 1

I’m not sure where else to ask this, but my family and I are heading down to Carolina Beach, NC on vacation tomorrow through next Saturday, and my mom is freaking out because Weather Channel is saying rain everyday. Anyone have a more detailed analysis? Is it looking like a (literal) wash next week?

4 hours ago, SoCoWx said:

I’m not sure where else to ask this, but my family and I are heading down to Carolina Beach, NC on vacation tomorrow through next Saturday, and my mom is freaking out because Weather Channel is saying rain everyday. Anyone have a more detailed analysis? Is it looking like a (literal) wash next week?

Looks wet but I highly doubt it will be a rain out every day. Most likely you will see afternoon and evening thunderstorms daily.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

What is wrong with GFS this summer?

It is nothing new that the operational GFS has a bias to overdo summer highs during hot periods. Also, the Euro op. has done that at least to some extent the past few years. The better bet is to go with the ensemble means because they average cooler than the operationals.

• Like 1

• buckeyefan1 changed the title to Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022
  • buckeyefan1 unpinned this topic