Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022

buckeyefan1

3 hours ago, NorthHillsWx said:

I’m in Cudjoe Key for the week and can verify it is much warmer and more humid than back home right now! :sun:

Just got back from Tampa St Pete.  Was much warmer and more humid there this past week but cool at night.  We actually rode horses in the bay and water was tolerable.  

IMG_1475.JPG

• Like 5

The low 3/13 (Sunday) at KATL has an excellent chance at being the coldest of the season with low 20s expected even at the airport due to winds staying up, which usually helps that station be close to as cold as surrounding areas and considering that it should fall below 32 by soon after sunset. As of now, the coldest of the season to date is 26, reached three times in January. The low 20s low would be the coldest in March since 2009. 

The last times March had the coldest of the season were: 1998, 1993, 1980, 1960, 1932, 1925, 1914, 1901, 1892 (tie), and 1890. The coldest on 3/13 would be the third latest coldest on record behind only the 3/14 of 1993 (when there was 4” of snowcover from the blizzard) and the 3/19 of 1892 (a tie with January and was over a light snowcover). So, IF there’s no snowcover this time, it would become the latest in the season coldest with no snowcover.

With 850s Saturday evening projected to plummet to near -11 to -12 at ATL/-13 to -14 at RDU (both extremely rare that late in the season) and a rare sub 970 mb storm forecasted for New England allowing for highly unusual very strong CAA, this is such an anomalous setup.

@gtg947h

@Awesomesauce81

Like it or not, get ready for a freeze in our area Saturday night! The forecasted upper 20s would be the coldest since January 30th, within the top 5 coldest lows of the season, and the coldest in March since 2017.

2 hours ago, GaWx said:

@gtg947h

@Awesomesauce81

Like it or not, get ready for a freeze in our area Saturday night! The forecasted upper 20s would be the coldest since January 30th, within the top 5 coldest lows of the season, and the coldest in March since 2017.

Yeah, not looking forward to that at all.  Maybe it'll kill off some gnats though?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gtg947h said:

Yeah, not looking forward to that at all.  Maybe it'll kill off some gnats though?

That’s what I’m hoping for. Maybe it will also delay mosquitos and even mean a not as bad summer for them and other bugs? I’m not sure how that works, but I’m always in favor of fewer flying insect pests.

5 hours ago, Brick Tamland said:

The rain and cold sucks. I'm ready for 70s and sunshine. 

I love 70s with sunshine. The problem from my standpoint is that we’ve already had a bunch of mid 80s and humidity here going back a couple of weeks. I’d rather have more days with 70s, low RHs, and sunshine. If I could somehow have 70s to mid 80s and sunshine with low RH all year round here, I’d take it in a heartbeat. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, GaWx said:

I love 70s with sunshine. The problem from my standpoint is that we’ve already had a bunch of mid 80s and humidity here going back a couple of weeks. I’d rather have more days with 70s, low RHs, and sunshine. If I could somehow have 70s to mid 80s and sunshine with low RH all year round here, I’d take it in a heartbeat. 

Oh, that would be nice.... but even then, I'll take the summers here over dealing with what my wife is going to experience in Indianapolis this week.  We do NOT do cold well.  If I could reset the thermostat for Savannah back to 70+ after New Year's I'd do so.

What's funny is that after 15 summers here, metro Atlanta (where we grew up) feels noticeably cooler even in the summer.  Visiting our parents is like a break from the heat.  I got fully acclimated here from spending all of summer 2015 outside building my workshop so it just doesn't bother me anymore.

But back on topic, it seems things are going to warm back up into next week. Maybe it'll stay that way?

• Like 1

The hires NAM has temps falling from 52 at 5 am to 37 at 7 am. I'm suspicious that the cold will hang back, which will prevent all but a token flake or two.

Anything that does fall will be unlikely to stick due to our usual March factors that shall not be named. Still, a little white rain will be a welcome sight before spring comes out in full force

• buckeyefan1 changed the title to Mid to Long Range Discussion ~ 2022
  • buckeyefan1 unpinned this topic