Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

From a longwave pattern perspective they are supportive. Can’t ask for a better ridge/trough alignment. Obviously not saying for a 950mb storm but a storm in general. But I did say this type of pattern will a epo ridge and deep eastern trough without blocking can open the door to amplified storms if you can get a phase. 
A296D0E3-961C-4153-AF65-5B048C1A9011.thumb.jpeg.f8ac76fb62aafd435f4ef1b0d06d84dc.jpeg

Ridge axis over Boise is classic. But that +AO and +NAO should temper everyone’s hope for a KU.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

From a longwave pattern perspective they are supportive. Can’t ask for a better ridge/trough alignment. Obviously not saying for a 950mb storm but a storm in general. But I did say this type of pattern will a epo ridge and deep eastern trough without blocking can open the door to amplified storms if you can get a phase. 
A296D0E3-961C-4153-AF65-5B048C1A9011.thumb.jpeg.f8ac76fb62aafd435f4ef1b0d06d84dc.jpeg

Yeah I was simply referring to MSLP, low placement, etc and mentioned the window worth tracking for the very reason you show above. 

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

You can have the slider on the 25th if I can have that one

You act like you don't know how this goes if it happens at all.  You and your roof will be under severe strain.  Mine would be just diet strain.

There's a storm coming folks!  Psu is worried about fringe! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Love when the Montana nose is sniffing the ridge up high

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Euro not gonna get it done..but it's close enough.  Northern stream drops in...trof does go negative, but it's too broad..axis too far east.  but it's close enough at this range.

thats probably your most meteorological post of all time. Not sure if its true (but it sounds good)

• Haha 5

16 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Ridge axis over Boise is classic. But that +AO and +NAO should temper everyone’s hope for a KU.

Agreed. One interesting thing to watch though is in the frames right after the one I posted some ridging develops near Hudson Bay. That’s a feature that shows up in a lot of our non blocking snowstorms acting as a proxy in a way. If we see that more clearly in future runs it might increase probability of a decent storm a bit. 

• Like 5

31 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Agreed. One interesting thing to watch though is in the frames right after the one I posted some ridging develops near Hudson Bay. That’s a feature that shows up in a lot of our non blocking snowstorms acting as a proxy in a way. If we see that more clearly in future runs it might increase probability of a decent storm a bit. 

Definitely showing up more on the 12z EPS compared to recent runs. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

Euro not gonna get it done..but it's close enough.  Northern stream drops in...trof does go negative, but it's too broad..axis too far east.  but it's close enough at this range.

so close! and a monster 1012 low to boot!

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus.png

• Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

I hope the EPS continues to be wrong….WB 12Z.

A3C95E4C-4692-4944-A20C-788C91602AF7.png

So it’s a coincidence that for the last week when the eps and gefs was spitting out means with 6-10” and weenie run after weenie run you were too busy to post them…but you’re Johnny on the spot when it spits out the first truly awful run in quite a while?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

So it’s a coincidence that for the last week when the eps and gefs was spitting out means with 6-10” and weenie run after weenie run you were too busy to post them…but you’re Johnny on the spot when it spits out the first truly awful run in quite a while?  

I post a lot of snow maps, both good and bad.  Actually I am happy with January.  It was cold  and I have  about 10 inches to date.  Would love a big storm by mid March though.

2 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

Being a lawyer, I will post exhibit A to prove to PSU and to others with selective memory that I do post positive EPS Maps as well.

Several times the mean was 6 inches and zero snow fell within the forecast timeframe. Beyond these maps the only thing worse is the surreal control model. Never is it even close to reality.  

3 hours ago, frd said:

Several times the mean was 6 inches and zero snow fell within the forecast timeframe. Beyond these maps the only thing worse is the surreal control model. Never is it even close to reality.  

I think the ensembles have shown the colder pattern very nicely but for storms I don’t think they are any better than just looking at the global models.  They flop around like a fish also.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic