Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

17 minutes ago, Ji said:

I was just going by randy and ralph word description before maps came out

My bigger concern is we have no other guidance close to what euro is showing and euro now is in its wheelhouse

It might be completely wrong, but the Euro depiction seems reasonable given the amplification of the longwave pattern and the zone of baroclinicity just offshore. I don't agree with anything close to a KU with the progressive flow, but a significant snowstorm for at least parts of the MA matches the pattern.

• Like 4

Model: a three-dimensional representation of a person or thing or of a proposed structure, typically on a smaller scale than the original. 
All are built by humans, some good, some bad. The closer you can see or get to the data or more data points, the more refined information you have, which allows for decision making (forecasting) in this respect. BLUF: the closer we get the clearer it gets weenies

ECMWF still looks good to me. I wouldn't go parsing too many details for a 06z run, but even then, it looked like it was going to amplify pretty well in the subsequent frames. GFS is slowly getting into a Euro look, but it's not as aggressive with the northern stream vort and it's still holding back that southern stream piece more than the Euro, but it's sped up in recent runs. This still has snow for some of our sub, at the very minimum. Love the banana high look over top. Cold air will not be the problem with this one. 

• Like 9
  • Thanks 9

13 minutes ago, LeesburgWx said:

Ensembles looks good. Would you rather be in VA Beach or DC as of right now? 

actually thats good question...Va Beach as of now as presented...I feel like the euro is slowly cruisin' on south for a vacation...having lived there few scenarios favor them...but this look is one of them sort of

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

ECMWF still looks good to me. I wouldn't go parsing too many details for a 06z run, but even then, it looked like it was going to amplify pretty well in the subsequent frames. GFS is slowly getting into a Euro look, but it's not as aggressive with the northern stream vort and it's still holding back that southern stream piece more than the Euro, but it's sped up in recent runs. This still has snow for some of our sub, at the very minimum. Love the banana high look over top. Cold air will not be the problem with this one. 

Thank you 

• Like 1

Just now, Ralph Wiggum said:

Control was east. But the control has been jumpy asf. The ens mean is better N and 

3 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

But those Twitter dudes said the euro was trending towards the gfs. They must be from up north where the gfs looks better.

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Weather Will said:

WB 6Z EPS is better for NW crew

E69CBDD2-CC1E-4311-95FB-2BE91E078E34.png

29AAF53A-E9A0-4F7D-B3A8-8ACFD9E619A2.png

31B5CB1D-A5DE-464F-BC3E-F4205312F7C2.png

6FAA9046-A44F-4A3B-B9D4-F540625D085C.png

I counted 19 disasters on the EPS. thats quite high for being so close to game time. Seems like 20 really good solutions 11 middle of the road and 19 disasters. We have no idea where its headed

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm simply not going to sweat a thing until Canada warms up. For me, it's that simple. Even if the pna screws us, as long as the continental air factory keeps running, we're in the game it seems. We haven't had a cold Canada for a few years. Would make sense that it keeps running. 

On another note... my yard just crossed 4" of precip for Jan. Might easily end up 5" or more. I don't track qpf like snow but I can't even remotely remember a wet Jan like this. Multiple events over 1". Nutty. 

Yes Bob, we are doing quite well in January!  I have received 3.22" rain and melted snow the first 18 days. This will likely be the wettest month since September when I received 5.24"

Regarding wet January's, during the past 20 years my wettest was 2013 with 4.48" rain and melted snow.

I think the euro bashing over one storm is over the top. It did best with the next snow event and was better with the last one too.  It’s still better than Gfs overall. 

That said we’re getting into the range all the major globals have been good. So if only one is off on its own that’s suspect. So I think if we don’t see some significant movement in the icon/Gfs/ggem today that’s a bad sign. I also suspect if we don’t see any improvement today the euro will begin to trend towards them. This is totally superficial analysis based on recent model behavior at specific lead times. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I think the euro bashing over one storm is over the top. It did best with the next snow event and was better with the last one too.  It’s still better than Gfs overall. 

That said we’re getting into the range all the major globals have been good. So if only one is off on its own that’s suspect. So I think if we don’t see some significant movement in the icon/Gfs/ggem today that’s a bad sign. I also suspect if we don’t see any improvement today the euro will begin to trend towards them. This is totally superficial analysis based on recent model behavior at specific lead times. 

It really is interesting over the years Steve that when the Euro has been on its own with a solution and the rest of the models don't have it, the trend is almost always for the Euro to trend to the others. This has especially been the case where it was bullish on snow (though thats probably when were paying the most attention). 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, DDweatherman said:

It really is interesting over the years Steve that when the Euro has been on its own with a solution and the rest of the models don't have it, the trend is almost always for the Euro to trend to the others. This has especially been the case where it was bullish on snow (though thats probably when were paying the most attention). 

I think that’s true when any model is on its own.

• Like 1

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

But we are very close to this. If this were to just go poof, it would be a precedent I think.

The euro historically has done very well vs the GFS modeling SS s/w's. That is one of the reasons I think it has a potential to at least be partially correct. However, as many have mentioned, lead times are getting pretty short. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

Think that’s exactly how this will play out. Not just because I want it.

9 hours ago, mattie g said:

Yeah…we’ve seen these things play out before, whether to our benefit or detriment. I’m not confident that it’s going to happen, but I could absolutely see it happening. The only explanation right now would be for this GFS run to have been a burp, but I’m quietly confident that it wasn’t.

I'm annoyed now.

12z is huge. If the 12z GFS doesn't come in with a solution close to what the Euro was showing at 0z, then I fully expect the 12z Euro to move towards the weaker-souther-easter solution.

• Confused 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic