Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

42 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

One of the driest, fluffy and lightest snow I've ever shoveled.

It was also during Super Bowl 25, I believe the Giants vs. the Broncos. I believe the forecast for my area (West Springfield at the time) was 6-10", and we ended up getting around a foot. Fluffy stuff. At one point, DCA was getting several hours of mod-heavy snow with temps in the upper teens.

Screenshot (46).png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WxMan1 said:

It was also during Super Bowl 25, I believe the Giants vs. the Broncos. I believe the forecast for my area (West Springfield at the time) was 6-10", and we ended up getting around a foot. Fluffy stuff. At one point, DCA was getting several hours of mod-heavy snow with temps in the upper teens.

Screenshot (46).png

Great stuff! What website is this by chance?

49 minutes ago, HighStakes said:

One of the driest, fluffy and lightest snow I've ever shoveled.

3 minutes ago, Steve25 said:

Great stuff! What website is this by chance?

If off of the WPC's interactive surface analysis website...

https://origin.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/sfc-zoom.php

You can also use this one to overlay satellite imagery (data quality of course dependent on how far back you go)...just click the 'archive' tab in the upper right to get to the event you're looking for, and the tab on the upper left to choose what kind of satellite imagery you want to overlay..

https://origin.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/html/sfc-zoomIR.php

• Like 1
  • Thanks 6

3 minutes ago, SnowGolfBro said:

Yea and actually the model runs got even more insane at this point in the 2016 tracking game lol

They started running out of colors.  Once you get past 36 inches it’s madness.  We should be safe from that this go around

14 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

Screenshot (46).png

Yup it definitely was Superbowl Sunday. I lived 10 NW of Baltimore city. We got 6 inches on top of the 14 that fell a few days before. All day Sunday was flurries and very light snow with Temps in the teens then the heavy stuff was overnight.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, WxMan1 said:

Screenshot (46).png

Yes it was the second snowstorm to hit in three days in DC-Double Whammy. I was in third grade and we missed two weeks of school. Don’t remember Feb.’83 so this was my first snowstorm of memory.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

It was horrific

Yeah it was surprising how long it held to the more eastern solutions.  But then again, as was mentioned awhile back (@high risk), it hasn't been updated as the GFS was recently.  So it's not quite the same kind of comparison, with a somewhat different system.  On the other hand, I believe the EPS were also farther east than the ECMWF ops for some time as well.  Odd that ensembles in general apparently struggled while the ops more or less locked in starting on Tuesday or there about.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic