Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

3 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

12z GEFS took the proverbial “step back” for next weekend’s possible storm.  Supports OTS/southern slider solution.  

Given what this storm did from it's trek from the long range to the medium range - I'd rather have that for now. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

So far, Euro moving the Baja energy out, unlike the GFS.  I thought the Euro was the one with the bias of hanging shit back around baja

Not since the upgrade a couple years ago. However, whatever they tweaked to fix that bias seems to have screwed up the old Euro wheelhouse 3-7 day forecasts. 

• Like 1

Just now, Ji said:
6 minutes ago, stormtracker said:
It's not.  More GFS-ish.  Well, the Euro blizzard last night was fun to look at.   Good thing is, we got pleeenty of time.

Garbage model man. Where is the old euro

I'm not going to down it, still gold standard..but the GFS has been leading the way this winter.  I dunno.  

I'm not going to down it, still gold standard..but the GFS has been leading the way this winter.  I dunno.  
Its constant playing catchup or over amplifying storm 6 days out. If the gfs dosnet have it...and the euro does...to me its a non storm

18 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

It's not.  More GFS-ish.  Well, the Euro blizzard last night was fun to look at.   Good thing is, we got pleeenty of time.

A big storm is suspect with the general upper level pattern. It can happen but only when hitting on all cylinders (like Feb 2014). Euro/cmc have shown a path but there's no way they could lock into that this far out in a progressive patten. I know you know this up and down. But there are still plentiful peeps here who expect ops to lock into any and every big storm from a week out. 

It can easily snow next weekend but prob not the way the euro/cmc are showing. Any shortwave passing 1-2 days or more after a front can be something... or nothing.... 

Still feel pretty strongly that any event thru this month will be modest if we get another. Like 6-10" tops or something like that but 3-6/4-8 type totals fit the upper levels from what I see. 

• Like 5

A big storm is suspect with the general upper level pattern. It can happen but only when hitting on all cylinders (like Feb 2014). Euro/cmc have shown a path but there's no way they could lock into that this far out in a progressive patten. I know you know this up and down. But there are still plentiful peeps here who expect ops to lock into any and every big storm from a week out. 
It can easily snow next weekend but prob not the way the euro/cmc are showing. Any shortwave passing 1-2 days or more after a front can be something... or nothing.... 
Still feel pretty strongly that any event thru this month will be modest if we get another. Like 6-10" tops or something like that but 3-6/4-8 type totals fit the upper levels from what I see. 
2003 2010 2016....its time
  • Like 6
  • Weenie 2

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Agree with you about big storm potential but who knows. If we're lucky enough to get 1 or 2 of these to hit they scream moderate events which is fine. They certainly would favor very cold storms. This was an impressively cold Euro run. 

10 minutes ago, jayyy said:

I’d much rather see a storm slide south of us 5/6 days out on the models than be in the bullseye. We’ve seen this song and dance too many times before. 

I’d rather see a cutter in a pattern like this. If it stays a cutter then you get the front end snow then sleet then freezing rain because there’s often cad. A slider can easily stay a slider in a cold pattern.

25 minutes ago, Ji said:
33 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

2003 2010 2016....its time

I mean that pattern is either 6 OR 7 years...before this month I had just assumed it would NEXT winter if that trend were still alive. But given that we actually have cold and snow this month...hey, ya never know!

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic